going to the gym?

jde-tvjde-tv Posts: 4,930
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Im 16 and just went to the gym for th first time and loved it..

i went to big one in my area called total fitness, its got everything and 3 pools :D

but its £25 a month!

what does everyone else think of the gym and its prices?

Comments

• mrvgargmrvgarg Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG that's well cheap compared to the gyms in our area!!!

I currently pay £28 a month for the gym only.

The other gym in the area charge £35 for gym and swimming but I am not ready for swimming yet!!

The top gym in area charges about £60 with 2/3 other gyms charging £40.
  • AlgonquinParkerAlgonquinParker Posts: 1,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to pay a fortune for gym memberships. Now I have one in my house. :)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be going to the gym tomorrow. It's stupid money, like £35 a month - but my work pays for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I walk to the gym and back so I don't need to pay any fees.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be going to the gym tomorrow. It's stupid money, like £35 a month - but my work pays for it.

They really are stupid money, I realised that I could get the basic equipment and just shove them in my spare bedroom. OK so I don't have the pool or anything, but I can still go swimming at the local leisure center.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else find that gyms smell of old cabbage? Maybe it's just me?
  • FOXPRESIDENTFOXPRESIDENT Posts: 4,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jde-tv wrote: »
    Im 16 and just went to the gym for th first time and loved it..

i went to big one in my area called total fitness, its got everything and 3 pools :D

but its £25 a month!

what does everyone else think of the gym and its prices?

I don't believe your sixteen - your a mega millionaire - yes these prices are FAB!

Problem is to cheap and your going to get some chav's in and you don't want them.
    I used to pay a fortune for gym memberships. Now I have one in my house. :)

Can I move in with you please? ;);););):):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe your sixteen - your a mega millionaire - yes these prices are FAB!

Problem is to cheap and your going to get some chav's in and you don't want them.

There's nowhere for you to sleep, my gym has taken the place of the spare room, and you can't go into the guest room. My office? The shed?:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I bought weight equipment, a skipping rope, an exercise mat and a swiss ball so I don't need to go to the gym.

Most of the stuff you can do in the gym I prefer to do outside the gym (such as cycling and running).

Most weight lifting exercises can be done with very little equipment, too. In fact, you only really need an adjustable bench and you can work out every part of the body with dumbbells and such. I don't have that much space so I bought a fold-away one, which is great, but takes me about 5 minutes to put up and down all the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

..but too expensive and you get the racket sports playing toffs with their 'big bag' competions in the changing rooms :mad: , and women dripping in jewellery with a full face of make-up, all the gear, but no idea!

I might wear a plain t-shirt and smell of old cabbage - but I'll wager I'm fitter than 90% of the chumps who go to mine.

It's so posh, I jokingly call it Stoke Park.
  • your mothers bfyour mothers bf Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    Gym prices can be good or bad depending on the person. A lot of people go and dont really use them properly, they just go because its seen as a good thing, have a few coffees and a a blast on the stepper, few people actually push themselves or make radical changes.

And the personal trainers at these fitness centres, well not really, in the states to be called a personal trainer you have to go through intensive studying. Over here in places like fitness first, they just seem to show people how to use machines, and dont know a great deal about nutrition etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gym prices can be good or bad depending on the person. A lot of people go and dont really use them properly, they just go because its seen as a good thing, have a few coffees and a a blast on the stepper, few people actually push themselves or make radical changes.

Very very few people push themselves at our place. Perhaps it's not the done thing.

There's this one woman regular who is always chewing gum - like some premiership manager. Surely you can't excercise properly whilst chewing!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Very very few people push themselves at our place. Perhaps it's not the done thing.

There's this one woman regular who is always chewing gum - like some premiership manager. Surely you can't excercise properly whilst chewing!

People do a lot of stuff wrong. I know someone who goes to the gym and goes straight to lifting weights, which is a bit daft because it can be bad for you.

When I went to my old unis gym, people were on the treadmills drinking bottles of Lucozade whilst running.

Gyms are fads for some people, I guess. It just makes people feel better, which is a good thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I don't get about the gym is this...

People drive to it. Why not just get on your bicycle, cycle to the gym, turn around and go back again. Thus no need for gym fees!

Just a thought....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jen0607 wrote: »

People drive to it. Why not just get on your bicycle, cycle to the gym, turn around and go back again. Thus no need for gym fees!

Just a thought....

Cylcing would only provide one form of a workout, whereas in a gym you would get a more complete one.:)
    Forum Member
    jen0607 wrote: »

Just a thought....

If pedestrians along the way agree to be used for weights it might work.
    Forum Member
    People do a lot of stuff wrong. I know someone who goes to the gym and goes straight to lifting weights, which is a bit daft because it can be bad for you.

When I went to my old unis gym, people were on the treadmills drinking bottles of Lucozade whilst running.

Gyms are fads for some people, I guess. It just makes people feel better, which is a good thing.

People do many things wrong, my particual hate is people using the squat rack to do bicep curls in:mad:

Most gyms have at least one of these guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCj8Yr290tE
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My university's gym is £30... a year. And it's pretty spiffy too.

In the holidays I run outside - my hometown is v. safe, doubt I could feel safe running in Glasgow (an unfortunate spate of murders recently has made me quite glad to leave for a while).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few months back i tried a free trial at my local Curves class. It is 30 minutes of circuit weights etc and jogging in-between. It is £30 amonth which i can no way afford so i did the free trial and went back to stepping and jogging about my house instead. What worried me was the lady showing me the way to use the equipment was very large but kept saying how great it is for weight-loss, and, it said if you didn't lose inches after the first month you got your money back, when i enquired she said it wouldn't apply to me as i am already slim, kind of wondered if it was worth the money anyway :(.

My local gym is also £30 a month so cannot afford that, but it is really small anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Uni gym is £3 a time when you show my student card. It's huge. I didn't go all that often!

Thinking of joining my local gym but get the feeling it will be full of people aged 40+ who know what they're doing! There's nothing wrong with that - just prefer to be around people my own age who don't know as much as I do about weights etc...!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few months back i tried a free trial at my local Curves class. It is 30 minutes of circuit weights etc and jogging in-between. It is £30 amonth which i can no way afford so i did the free trial and went back to stepping and jogging about my house instead. What worried me was the lady showing me the way to use the equipment was very large but kept saying how great it is for weight-loss, and, it said if you didn't lose inches after the first month you got your money back, when i enquired she said it wouldn't apply to me as i am already slim, kind of wondered if it was worth the money anyway :(.

My local gym is also £30 a month so cannot afford that, but it is really small anyway.

What is Curves? I think there is one across the road from me!
  • crayonzcrayonz Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    they do exactly what they say on the packet, no more no less. the value lies in how often you make use of their services.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My gym is £45 a month, so I'd be quite happy to find one that charged less than £30, although it would have to be nice :)
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Bannatyne's near where i live is scandalous.

Someone told me it's £40 a month for an 'off peak' membership! You can't attend at weekends or after 5pm weekdays.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,388
    Forum Member
    My gym membership is £30/mth for a middle of the road gym - with a load of freebies & towels included... but the fees change from month to month depending on how slow business is for the sales team...

Any classes or one to ones with Fitness instructors are also included but sessions with Personal Trainers are extra.

We get all sorts in ours - from the chavs, to the ladies of leisure, to the top boxers in the area....