Do you ever get annoyed at how bitchy/nasty people are online?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 484
Forum Member
I've used quite a few forums, and it still gets to me at times. Many of the comments made about celebrities are incredibly personal and unnecessary. I've also found that the more nasty other people are, the more likely I am to make bitchy comments myself. I know it sounds melodramatic, but I do feel like some of the things I read actually "pollute" my brain in a way. Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive, but I do think that people can be quite disrespectful online. I think it says a lot about human nature.

Comments

• mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Yeah! F*ck those rude people!

(Sorry, couldn't resist)
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will wholeheartedly admit to joining in with some of the bitching about specific celebs in Showbiz (only a few, though)...usually the ones who go about causing misery to others. I know I once also gave vent about two specific FMs from one forum on another forum, which I now regret. So, I'm no angel by any means, and do understand the 'mind polluting' thing- even though I'm aware nobody forces that upon me. However, for the most part, I can't stand to see it when people are being deliberately nasty to another FM just for the sake of it, or to get a 'cheap laugh', and then a few more join in. This is quite different from some of the banter/ gentle teasing you see. It's just nasty for the sake of being nasty and is best ignored.

Having said all of the above, my experience of DS has been generally very positive. I've made some lovely personal friends on here and enjoy the acquaintance of a good few others, even if it's just in passing. I think the only time I've ever 'alerted' was once in defence of someone else and if I feel someone is being personally offensive (very rare) I will either stand my ground as politely as I can or aim to ignore. Mind you, I've never 'officially' put anyone 'on ignore' as I'm too bloody nosey!:p:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    most abusers probably think that cos they are celebs and put themselves on that pedestal and are therefore 'fair game' for criticism. Lets be honest 99.9% of people wouldn't repeat their criticism published on here to the persons face given the chance.
  • qwertyqueenqwertyqueen Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I do. There are a couple of very nasty threads on here at the minute.
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    The problem with message boards is that people will give their opinions.Weird that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    It's been a very steep learning curve joining this forum.
    I would never have believed how nasty & vindictive people can be.
    They tend to be the ladies - surprisingly, so called professional people mostly, married with kids.
    They clearly have something missing in their lives.
    I honestly don't get the thrill of fabricating stories about someone then pouncing on anyone who dares to post anything that goes against what they're trying to say.
    Surely we should all be entitled to express our views on a subject without being mocked or shouted down?
    Thankfully these no-marks seem to be in the minority - I know I've had several pm's 'advising' me of the history of certain members & have become 'friends' with several more forum members. More than makes up for the idiots!
    Maybe I was brought up too well - treat others as you would want to be treated yourself.
    Does put you off though - rarely come on here these days. It's the same old rubbish being churned up under a different thread. Boring.
  • benny1982benny1982 Posts: 7,550
    Forum Member
    I find that some trollish people on here are full time parents and are middle aged. Surely at that age they would be nicer and more grown up. They should have left these horrible games at school.
  • qwertyqueenqwertyqueen Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    The problem with message boards is that people will give their opinions.Weird that.

There's a difference between giving an opinion and being downright nasty and disrespectful. Anonymity gives people a lot of confidence.
    Forum Member
    benny1982 wrote: »
    I find that some trollish people on here are full time parents and are middle aged. Surely at that age they would be nicer and more grown up. They should have left these horrible games at school.

Thank you Benny - you've restored my faith in human beings.
    At last someone with some common sense & decent morals! :)
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    Some of them in the showbiz forum are relentess. I mean if you hate the person that much why bother starting a thread about it?
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much of the stuff posted on DS doesn't really offend me but sometimes posters cross the line and post something that is uncalled for such as post number 48 in this thread http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1125214&page=2
    Forum Member
    I hate it when you get accused of being on a wind up if your opinion differs to that of others,

As said, some of the trolls and vindictive people are married with children and are in quite responsible jobs. Well why are they acting such an ass online?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of them in the showbiz forum are relentess. I mean if you hate the person that much why bother starting a thread about it?

Tell me about it. I was just having a sniff around the soaps forum. Talk about gross over-reaction!! :confused: Bonkers, if you ask me!!
    Picto wrote: »
    Much of the stuff posted on DS doesn't really offend me but sometimes posters cross the line and post something that is uncalled for such as post number 48 in this thread http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1125214&page=2

Yes - I posted a response to that myself. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Sadly enough, you get trolls/nastiness/unpleasantness anywhere you go on the Internet.

The sheer anomymity of it all makes it worse.

All I can say is to take anything anyone says on the Internet with a pinch of salt. It's not worth getting upset about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell me about it. I was just having a sniff around the soaps forum. Talk about gross over-reaction!! :confused: Bonkers, if you ask me!!

Yes - I posted a response to that myself. :cool:

Did you think that the poster had crossed a line or should we be allowed to post whatever we want to regardless of what other people think?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    Did you think that the poster had crossed a line or should we be allowed to post whatever we want to regardless of what other people think?

I do believe in freedom of speech but it was entirely gratuitous and not even remotely amusing - notwithstanding the nature of the thread itself.

If it had actually been a witty, albeit "tasteless" jokey remark, it might have been more acceptable.

It was none of these things, in my opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do believe in freedom of speech but it was entirely gratuitous and not even remotely amusing - notwithstanding the nature of the thread itself.

If it had actually been a witty, albeit "tasteless" jokey remark, it might have been more acceptable.

It was none of these things, in my opinion.

That was my view of it also.
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only people who annoy me are the alerters :mad:

otherwise - nah just words aint it!
    Forum Member
    Just think "Sticks and Stones"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    comedyfish wrote: »

Just for that, I've alerted Forum Support!!! :mad: :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    comedyfish wrote: »

Aww...have you been in trouble? :D
    Forum Member
    That particular post well crossed the mark.
    I like a bit of fun but that was just sick really wasn't it?

We should be able to post in all honesty but there should be such a thing as common courtesy to others.
    (God, this makes me sound so straight laced & I'm not, honestly!)
    P**s takers incense me that's all.
    Some stuff can be funny but it's knowing when to stop.
    Cross that fine line & then it becomes offensive, tedious & frankly sometimes libellous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Just think "Sticks and Stones"

I try, but some comments just really get to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate it when you get accused of being on a wind up if your opinion differs to that of others,

As said, some of the trolls and vindictive people are married with children and are in quite responsible jobs. Well why are they acting such an ass online?

Absolutely, 100% spot on, some are even retired. Perhaps thats their problem, not enough to do and far too much time on their hands.
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    There's a difference between giving an opinion and being downright nasty and disrespectful. Anonymity gives people a lot of confidence.

I agree.But what you going to do ? The only thing I can think of is by not visiting the boards.I've met people like this in everyday life too.I just learnt to ignore them.