Compaq Laptops and Ebuyer

I am looking for a fairly inexpensive laptop for my son and we have seen reasonable one on ebuyer but neither of us have used ebuyer before or owned a compaq laptop.

He is only really going to use it for the internet and maybe some college stuff so we don't need anything fancy but just wondered of anyone had any experiences good or bad of either compaq or ebuyer.

Thanks

Comments

• LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a few bad experiences with Ebuyer and low value items, that was a few years ago (they repeatedly sent me products that were not correct and were worth less than the one I had paid for).

Over the last 2 years or so I've bought a lot from them with zero issues, I'd absolutely recommend them.

Recently I had a semi major issue with UPS and a collection for a TV I bought from Ebuyer (developed a fault) and they have been extremely helpful.
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    This was the cheap £300 no-OS laptop I got from there last summer, about this time because my other one decided to fail. I've almost had it a year, it runs 7 and Vista like a dream, don't have a single problem with it, and even it likes half a glass of wine (well, it did the other night anyway!).

I usually use ebuyer because they are cheap and reliable, I've had no problems with anything there, they deliver when they say they will as well, and you can choose the date.

As for compaq, i tend to just decide on the individual product, as I do with most laptops. Your lad's in college so presumably hes what, late teens, post GCSE? What courses is he doing? What else does he want to use it for?

And more importantly, what laptops are you looking at and whats the budget?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's 18 and will be doing a bridge to employment course, which is for kids who need to get into work because they have mild learning difficulty. Budget is between 300-400 quid and he'll be using it mainly I suspect for the internet but may need it for some light course work.
    Forum Member
    Which ones are you looking at. Windows 7 (which they will pretty much all come with) is pretty much the same as Vista, in that it needs a dual core CPU and at least 2 GB of RAM. Most machines have that now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am looking at dual cores with at least 2gb, its just there are so many! It wasn't this hard when I bought my Sony, although I mainly bought that because I really really liked the keyboard :D mainly inspired as my last laptop was a hp which had a really horrible keyboard.
    Forum Member
    I'm used to scouring - part of my job is recommending machines to buy. Most of them have for a while, to be honest, I don't look at brands any more, once I see specs which are suitable I try and look at the chassis. Siting of hot air vents, DC in, and stuff, tend to be as important. The keyboard on this cheap thing is good, though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything you could recemmend we will certainly look at.

This is the machine on ebuyer, which he likes and I think was on the forum a few days ago when someone else was trying to decide between machines.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/186602

We have looked at loads though and now they are all starting to look the same. We also looked at this one although once again we have not heard of the brand.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/189888
    Forum Member
    They do all look the same, that's the idea, and why I think brands are irrelevant - they're made by about 5 places anyway.

There's probably little between them - a celeron and a PDC are about the same, the T3000 is dual core, whilst it probably needs more ram, thats an easy and cheap upgrade. On the Compaq the DC is next to the vent, though... The Asus is probably better, but it annoys me that they are basically the same price as this.
  • rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a celeron and a PDC are about the same

Are you sure Celeron are to be avoided at all cost !

Just look here and avoid the Celeron lappys...
    Forum Member
    rottweiler wrote: »
    Are you sure Celeron are to be avoided at all cost !

Just look here and avoid the Celeron lappys...

A dual core celeron is perfectly adequate for most things - just office applications, and going on the internet, it should be perfectly fine. I have a T3000 and it is perfectly adequate for that (and even handles video/audio encoding as well as my desktop PC). They did suck previously, though, and they are still entry level but they are now perfectly adequate for just basic use.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to wind this all up we did get today a Compaq Pressario CQ61-435 with the spec below from Comet for £379.99.

Screen size: 15.6 inches
    Processor: Intel Pentium Dual Core
    Memory (RAM): 3 GB
    Storage (hard drive): 250 GB
    Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium

Thanks to Forestchav, especially for the help :D
    Forum Member
    None too shabby! The Compaq chassis are a lot better designed than they were, it should be fine for him.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost identical spec to my CQ61 320 SA bought last November from Currys for £379

(I have AMD Dual core version)

I am very happy with it and indeed have always had Compaqs (work or home for 20 years).

This CQ61 has recently developed an intermittent, very noisy fan.
    It comes on for no reason and is not load or over-temperature related (monitored with Speedfan Utility)

It sounds like worn bearings but fans have huge MTBF lifetimes, so I can't believe that.
    Or it could be catching on something.

I can induce or stop the fault by a few sharp taps to the case above the F1 key (like a Doctor tapping your chest while listening with a stethoscope)

Of course it is still under warranty, But I groan at possibly losing it for 28 days. It is my right arm, by my armchair. (other PC upstairs hardly used now)

Still I think it is the only fault I have ever had.

========================

Tip for new laptops concerning backups.

Make your 3 DVDs as recommended.
    In Windows Backup and Restore Centre, create System Image and a repair CD when prompted.
    My 40+GB takes about 30 mins.

Do this after setting your wallpapers/desktop/deleting all the factory rubbish etc.
    If your son will not have an external USB HDD, you will have to make it on your main drive (not ideal or recommended)
    Use Partition Wizard to take some of the 250GB drive. I'd recommend 100GB.

Then, since Windows System Image sometimes can fail, Use Easeus Todo Backup and do it again, also with another Repair/Boot CD.

Even if you never get an ext HDD, you can maybe copy the images to another of your household PC.

Your new setup will now be fairly bombproof, apart from theft.

I generally make at least one system restore point every day.
    System images every few days/1-2 weeks.

Use Avira/AVG/Avast for anti-virus. OpenOffice for Docs etc.

Hope your son enjoys his new purchase.

(all downloads can be found in http://download.cnet.com/windows/
    )
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Posted wrong link then remembered editing