Escape to the country

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
Forum Member
✭✭
It is programmes like this that make the Government think that we all have money to throw away.
I enjoy the programme but wish it would lower the price by basing itself on people who have half as much money as those featured?
People with four hundred thousand pounds and upwards to spend could easilly afford a private person to go seeking out a new property for them.
It's just plain showing off for them to go on this programme.

I think that is quite sad that couples nearing retirement age still want huge houses with many rooms and acres of lawns to take care of.
They stick themselves out in the middle of nowhere knowing that infirm health, the possibility of not being able to drive anymore and widowhood could be soon on the way.
Why don't these people just go on world cruises and take holidays while they still can?

Comments

• ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrsSpoon wrote: »
    It is programmes like this that make the Government think that we all have money to throw away.
    I enjoy the programme but wish it would lower the price by basing itself on people who have half as much money as those featured?
    People with four hundred thousand pounds and upwards to spend could easilly afford a private person to go seeking out a new property for them.

I think that is quite sad that couples nearing retirement age still want huge houses with many rooms and acres of lawns to take care of.
    They stick themselves out in the middle of nowhere knowing that infirm health, the possibility of not being able to drive anymore and widowhood could be soon on the way.
    Why don't these people just go on world cruises and take holidays while they still can?

Couldn't agree more, well said. But I would watch a series about people going on cruises if only to see if they fell in:D
  • suspect10suspect10 Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Terrible thing, envy.:D
  • andymcvandymcv Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    They might be doing it to get on the telly.

Has anyone ever bought a house on this programme?
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    II think that is quite sad that couples nearing retirement age still want huge houses with many rooms and acres of lawns to take care of.
    I think it's wonderful that people who have aspired to this all their lives can eventually realise their dreams. Once they've got rid of their children (moved out, not strangled), got out of the rat-race and have the money and leisure time available why shouldn't they do the things they've always wanted to? It's not as if the moment you hit 65 (or 60) you become doo-lally, incontinent, and only able to shuffle around with a Zimmer frame.

Would you prefer a programme about city whizz-kids buying country houses, with their ghastly, vulgar partners screeching on about tearing up the lawns to make room for "annuvver swimmin pool, innit"?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andymcv wrote: »

On A Place in the Sun the programme always ends with them going away to think about it and even when it's repeated five years later you never hear what happened to them.
  • japarajapara Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can never understand the young couples (under 40ish) that have lived in cities all their lives and want a place totally isolated ( for space & privacy)Its all very well for a week or 2's holiday but to live where every thing is a car journey away, even a pint of milk or a newspaper! and quite often one of them will still work away from home Monday to Friday leaving the other alone and isolated. There is nothing wrong with moving to the country but surely a village is quiet enough?

I found it took a couple of years adjusting from living in a city to a small market town.
  • BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    The whole point of the program is that it's about people moving to nice properties in nice locations. A lot of people dream about being able to afford a nice place in the country and that's why people watch Escape To The Country.
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    Bagpipes wrote: »
    The whole point of the program is that it's about people moving to nice properties in nice locations. A lot of people dream about being able to afford a nice place in the country and that's why people watch Escape To The Country.
    Agreed. It's all about looking round nice houses that most us couldn't afford in nice locations that we'd like to visit, but maybe not live in. At least it is for me anyway.
  • katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They use to do a little narration towards the end, telling us what happened between filming and airing. A few went on the purchase one of the houses, so yes.

I don't know why they stopped doing that, maybe they film closer to the airing dates?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    as someone who has been on the show, a few comments on why etc.

- we're moving because we want to do something different...space, open countryside, new challenges etc
    - you dont get to see the properties before you visit them so they'll be lucky if they find your dream house
    - we intend updating them on our house when we find it...hopefully before they show our episode so it will be their call on the post-programme update
    - at the end of the day its a tv programme and not real-life...they try to help but they're only in your life for a short while so dont expect too much
    - its a great programme for the bbc as it sells worldwide

anyway...we loved the experience and it helped us to focus our thoughts...we're moving so its not a 15 minutes of fame thing

I did suggest the format of a new show to the crew 'ETTC - revisited' which was like telling them an old joke that everyone knows...

- it's an aspirational show which wants to show idyllic houses and is not a 'location location' show which unfortunately gets budget-driven (as they say 'other property shows are also available')
    -
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member

I wish they would show more houses on a more realistic budget..say the £200,000-£250,000 price range. I get really annoyed watching old, rich, retired couples looking for HUGE piles of £500,000+...boring boring boring. Would much rather see young couples with families (which they used to feature many moons ago) but not the ones from London who are selling their studio flats for squilions... lol
  • Lobelia OverhilLobelia Overhil Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love watching ETTC I'd love to see a follow up show to find out when the people did buy themselves a 6 bedroom heap with 20 acres of land. Do they give a thought to decorating, furnishing, cleaning or heating these huge houses? Or how long they'll have to spend mowing grass, trimming hedges and weeding? Or what they'll do with the garden waste after?

Ah the joys of living in the country! :D
  • pussyfootpussyfoot Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly what i've said about this programme before, not one of them has ever bought any of the properties, just an excuse to get their mugs on the box!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    I only very occaisionally see this prog and it's usually only for a few minutes because I'm sick of hearing prospective buyers saying 'obviously it's very small...' when entering the properties. Last week a couple went to view a cracking thatched cottage and the first thing the bloody woman said when she went into the kitchen was 'well it's very compact' and this was a room bigger than my kitchen and dining room together! A couple viewed an ex flour mill in Matlock Bath the other day and immediately began stating how small all the rooms were. No they weren't! Even with exposed wooden ceiling beams the rooms were bigger than average. I'm beginning to think these people are simply showing off to appear that they're considerably better off than yow. Which for the most part they are of course; that mill was over half a million quid but it looked ace. Stop bloody moaning!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    15 comments and no one has admitted a secret crush on Alistair Appleton?;)

Just me then:o:o:o:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 265
    Forum Member

Oh, my crush is no secret!:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    I'd much rather the lovely Denise, Nurse me better!
  • ocoxocox Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bodegg wrote: »
    I only very occaisionally see this prog and it's usually only for a few minutes because I'm sick of hearing prospective buyers saying 'obviously it's very small...' when entering the properties. Last week a couple went to view a cracking thatched cottage and the first thing the bloody woman said when she went into the kitchen was 'well it's very compact' and this was a room bigger than my kitchen and dining room together! A couple viewed an ex flour mill in Matlock Bath the other day and immediately began stating how small all the rooms were. No they weren't! Even with exposed wooden ceiling beams the rooms were bigger than average. I'm beginning to think these people are simply showing off to appear that they're considerably better off than yow. Which for the most part they are of course; that mill was over half a million quid but it looked ace. Stop bloody moaning!

Yes, it’s the same old same old.

Before seeing properties, “we want to down/up size”. When viewing, “it’s all a bit small/big”.

BSP, “we want isolated/close to village”. WV, “it’s too far/close from any amenities”.

BSP, “we want a bigger/smaller garden”. WV, “it’s to big/small”.

And so on, and so on.

Let’s get straight to the point, most of these people just want to get on telly for their fifteen minutes of fame:eek:

ps I love the program:o
  • HermioneHermione Posts: 177
    Forum Member

No, not just you! He is lovely in every respect.
  • ILoveMyDogILoveMyDog Posts: 26,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like nosing around other people's homes, and who cares if they have a big budget? Makes it more interesting
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bodegg wrote: »

Well said! It's these attitudes that make property programmes unwatchable for me - which is a shame because I'd enjoy looking at the lovely houses otherwise.

Almost everyone who appears on these shows seems to be a truly unpleasant bit of snot, to the point where I wonder if having this personality trait is a requirement of getting featured on these shows.
  • Tony_BrooksTony_Brooks Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    Have to say watching the show today, that if this couple have £750,000 to spend they should be ashamed of needing help to do it - oh, hang on, they're on telly!

And a semi detached long shed? £650,000????