Arena - Rolf Harris

cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
Forum Member
✭✭
Just watching him. Always comes over as a very nice guy who is very talented.

Lily Cole just gave Rolf a speach about something she learned in Uni, and he just said he didnt think about it and got on with things:D

Comments

• Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rolf ''you dirty old man''
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    Lily Cole teaching her grandfather to suck eggs.

What a barrel of laughs she is. :yawn:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    She made a bit of a fool of herself, coming out with such pretentious twaddle. That'll butter no parsnips with our Rolfie. ;)
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh_Matron wrote: »
    She made a bit of a fool of herself, coming out with such pretentious twaddle. That'll butter no parsnips with our Rolfie. ;)

Rolf had the last laugh though, seems he painted her angry and all the others are carefree and much softer.

Does anyone know what happened to the paintings after they were finished? Did the models get them or were they sold?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh_Matron wrote: »

She just talked the same rubbish that you get from anyone who has been taught about art or thinks of themselves as an Artist (with capital A). I got the impression that he quite enjoyed his talks with all them.

There was an article in Telegraph magazine the other weekend about the programme. Apparently Lizzy Jagger said that the Rolling Stones have never been asked to play at Glastonbury but would love to appear there.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/8214716/Rolf-Harris-paints-A-Midsummer-Nights-Dream.html
    As Lizzy leaves, another revelation. She asks Rolf how one gets to play at Glastonbury, which Rolf has now done six times – Lizzy saw him there this year. The Stones have never played Glastonbury and she’s sure they’d love to. He is gobsmacked. Maybe Glastonbury never had the nerve to ask, assuming they would say no. He’ll tell the Glastonbury folks. Maybe next year he could do a duet there with Mick and Keith!
  • m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cazzz wrote: »
    Just watching him. Always comes over as a very nice guy who is very talented.

Lily Cole just gave Rolf a speach about something she learned in Uni, and he just said he didnt think about it and got on with things:D
    Lily Cole seems to bear a striking resemblance to Helena Bonham Carter. She certainly came across as very full of herself.

Rolf Harris showed he has more talent, intelligence and humility than any of the models he painted.
  • Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To my surprise I thought Lizzie Jagger was charming!

Lily Cole was the only one who seemed completely uninterested in meeting Rolf Harris. She did give him a lot of lectures about Art, all of which had the basic point that his art was old fashioned and not very good.

I thought he captured the personalities of the models as they came across to him very well!
  • kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Spratt wrote: »
    To my surprise I thought Lizzie Jagger was charming! I thought he captured the personalities of the models as they came across to him very well!

Same here. Lizzy came across as a very pleasant and personable young woman.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    m06een00 wrote: »
    Lily Cole seems to bear a striking resemblance to Helena Bonham Carter. She certainly came across as very full of herself.

Rolf Harris showed he has more talent, intelligence and humility than any of the models he painted.

I think the trouble with Lily Cole is that she is doing a university course in History of Art and they are probably taught to talk like that about art, if you don't conform then you don't pass. Hopefully she will grow out of it unlike many art "experts" and critics.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It always amazes me how he managed such detail with a six inch distemper brush.

Eh?
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    I hope when I'm 80, I'm aloud to Paint young women, {Dervla, not so} near naked...but I'm guessing, I might not be aloud...;)

Wasn't sure the maker of this film was totally out to make a nice film about Rolf, sometimes it was a bit embarrassing to watch, not helped by Lily Cole's 'knowledge' on Art.:yawn:

Great archive clips....but why so many of Dame Judi.:o

Lizzy Jagger I liked, and a lot like her Mum too, that Laugh.:eek:

Emer Kenny who I had never seen before, was an interesting choice.

Would have liked to have seen there reactions, when they saw the Finished Paintings.

:cool:
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would rather have seen more or Rolf's conversation with the Queen than the pretentious art twaddle of Lily Cole. You never get to see Her Maj in conversation - it's quite refreshing to see.

They played "Tie Me Kangaroo Down" far too many times throughout the programme though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Dervla Kirwan is a goddess.
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully, it'll be Sir Rolf Harris in a few days. If not, then it's a bloody disgrace.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    I would rather have seen more or Rolf's conversation with the Queen than the pretentious art twaddle of Lily Cole. You never get to see Her Maj in conversation - it's quite refreshing to see.

They played "Tie Me Kangaroo Down" far too many times throughout the programme though.

Wasn't there a previous programme about the painting of the Queen?

The American(?) who made the programme seemed to be quite a fan of Harris' from the article in the Telegraph, he had come first across him when he was living in the UK as a child and saw his TV programmes.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who was the naked girl with the great ass??
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Azagoth wrote: »
    Hopefully, it'll be Sir Rolf Harris in a few days. If not, then it's a bloody disgrace.

I have a terrible feeling it's more likely to be Sir Simon Cowell or Sir David Beckham
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree, he is deserving unlike some.

At first I thought Lizzie was just going to giggle her way though the show and not add anything but I was wrong. She seemed very nice and I thought it was lovely of her to say that it was an honour to have a painting done by Rolf which was a lovely thing to say and the opposite to Lily Cole who seemed very cold.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

can he be made a sir if he isnt British born?
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Camino wrote: »

Yes Commonwealth and Empire and Eire if born before 1949.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Camino wrote: »

yes he can, Sir Edmund Hillary was not born in the UK. Neither was Bob Geldof etc.

but I'm afraid that Cowell will take up the quota:mad:
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks i didnt know that
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Who was the naked girl with the great ass??

Emer Kenny
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that emma kenny is very beautiful
  • gwynnegwynne Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first time Rolf's cat appeaed I almost spilt my drink!
    I have never seen such an ugly creature in all my life.
    It looked straight out of Avatar!
    What on earth does Rolf see in such an ugly animal?
    Not sure what that huge necklace it was wearing was for-looks a bit big for an auto cat flap opener?
    Anyone any idea what the breed of cat was-probably worth a fortune?