How do you know you have a Nail Varnish problem?

Comments

• BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to see pictures!

There will be some! My gold is in York though (I'm at uni there) and I'm at home in Leeds, but when I next do them with scorn and gold, you'll see :)
  • labelsandlovelabelsandlove Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anybody recommend a good cuticle pusher? I have used orange sticks but I would prefer something a little more permanent or professional :)
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anybody recommend a good cuticle pusher? I have used orange sticks but I would prefer something a little more permanent or professional :)

Sorry, I don't really use them. I know you can get plastic ones with rubber bits on. I tend to just use my other nails, or sometimes the edge of my nail file.

Does anyone know of a yellowy-orange jelly polish anywhere? I have an idea for things-trapped-in-amber nails, but can't find just the right polish to do it yet..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I like this one http://www.leightondenny.com/product-detail/59/hoof-stick I use it along with his other cuticle products :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't really use them. I know you can get plastic ones with rubber bits on. I tend to just use my other nails, or sometimes the edge of my nail file.

Does anyone know of a yellowy-orange jelly polish anywhere? I have an idea for things-trapped-in-amber nails, but can't find just the right polish to do it yet..

I was looking at loads of brands of jelly polish yesterday to see what shades I wanted and didn't see anything that I think would work, I think you might have to mix two colours to get the perfect shade but I hope you find one soon!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll see if my American contact can come up with anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Current newbies are

Nails Inc Brick Lane
    Natural Collection white and topcoat (they were something like £1.99 each, I rarely wear white!)
    Rimmel Rock Your Colour glitter topcoat
  • labelsandlovelabelsandlove Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like this one http://www.leightondenny.com/product-detail/59/hoof-stick I use it along with his other cuticle products :)

Ooh thankyou for this, I do love Leighton Denny - his crystal file is so good! I just bought 3 and a nail polish - it would have been rude not to!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh thankyou for this, I do love Leighton Denny - his crystal file is so good! I just bought 3 and a nail polish - it would have been rude not to!

I got a gorgeous box of his polishes and the clean up set in TK Maxx so if you have one near you it's worth looking in there, they had quite a lot of his stuff!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On my blog today is a DIY version of the OPI/Mariah Carey liquid sand effect! http://tarastalons.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/handmade-texture.html?m=1p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy55/Bethaneeny/P1060297_zps7108f422.jpg

Illamasqua Scorn, with diagonal tips of Barry M Xmas Blue :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bethaneeny wrote: »
    http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy55/Bethaneeny/P1060297_zps7108f422.jpg

Illamasqua Scorn, with diagonal tips of Barry M Xmas Blue :)

I love that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be a part of something new and amazing in the nail polish world! http://www.indiegogo.com/tarastalons/x/2236237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel like the only person around who doesn't like the look of most of the indie polishes out there! So many of them look so messy and untidy to me! That appears to be just me though, so many blogs now are featuring indies and everyone seems to love them, so good luck! There are a hell of a lot of indie producers out there now, so I imagine there's a lot of competition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be a part of something new and amazing in the nail polish world! http://www.indiegogo.com/tarastalons/x/2236237

By the way - if you're planning to sell via post, then you need to know that you won't be able to use Royal Mail. They've stopped shipping any nail varnish internationally, and within UK stops from June apparently. You'll need to ether use a different carrier or only sell in person.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel like the only person around who doesn't like the look of most of the indie polishes out there! So many of them look so messy and untidy to me! That appears to be just me though, so many blogs now are featuring indies and everyone seems to love them, so good luck! There are a hell of a lot of indie producers out there now, so I imagine there's a lot of competition.

I like indie polishes but I know it's a personal preference, a lot of people don't use them at all but a blogger I follow has said it's all they buy now. I love making them so I'm willing to take a risk :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By the way - if you're planning to sell via post, then you need to know that you won't be able to use Royal Mail. They've stopped shipping any nail varnish internationally, and within UK stops from June apparently. You'll need to ether use a different carrier or only sell in person.

If you have a business account you can send up to four polishes per package but I've got quotes from couriers as well so if that changes I can still ship them. Thanks for the advice :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have a business account you can send up to four polishes per package but I've got quotes from couriers as well so if that changes I can still ship them. Thanks for the advice :)

What I've read seems to say that all nail varnish air mail will be stopped. You should be ok within the UK though.
    http://lacquersofkasterborous.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/they-destroyed-my-pretties.html?m=1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I've read seems to say that all nail varnish air mail will be stopped. You should be ok within the UK though.
    http://lacquersofkasterborous.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/they-destroyed-my-pretties.html?m=1

That's great, thanks for the link!
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get the hype about Barry M, people are obsessed with it, I have a couple of colours that stain my nails yellow. It also peels and chips really easily than some of my other brands. They have a massive colour collection which is a plus but that's about it for me. I don't get why people love them. I do prepare my nails properly aswell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get the hype about Barry M, people are obsessed with it, I have a couple of colours that stain my nails yellow. It also peels and chips really easily than some of my other brands. They have a massive colour collection which is a plus but that's about it for me. I don't get why people love them. I do prepare my nails properly aswell.

I love Barry M but I have a friend who can't wear it all, it lasts about an hour before it peels! It's so strange that posh reacts so differently with different people!

Does the staining/peeling etc happen with all their ranges like the gellys as well as their standard range?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never had any issues with Barry M chipping or peeling. I think a lot of it is down to preparation, but much of it is also just down to your skin and nail type - some things just don't work with some people's chemistry, unfortunately.

I have definitely noticed a staining issue with many of them though - although it does vary depending on what base I use. Some bases are better than others at preventing stains, definitely.
  • MerryBerryMerryBerry Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    My nails have always chipped easily which is a bit of a pain as I hate chipped polish! But I've always found that Barry M works rather well for me.

I have actually had a gel polish applied last week for the first time. There are pros and cons to this for me. I love having stronger nails and a polish that last aaaages without chipping. (Though I do have a couple of chips now - a week later - but I think this could be down to the fact I had a trainee do it?) but I dislike having the same colour on my nails. I know I can paint over it but I have a bright orange on, so not that easy this time! I suppose I could always have a really light colour put on so I can paint over it....

I have also had a bit of a splurge this week on polishes. I bought the nails inc 6 for £15 lucky dip offer. I received : boltons place, Camden, fitzroy square, st Mark's square, royal ascot and Blenheim terrace. I then also purchased: Warwick way, haymarket, Bruton street and the southbank. That might be enough for this month! I am definitely investing in a shelving unit for them all. Might go look now...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My nails are in the worst state they've ever been in. :(
    What I get for not taking care of them for a bit...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went a bit mad come pay day, and bought a load of polishes on Amazon (Zoya Blaze, omg! Plus my first Laylas and my first Nubar, and the OPI liquid sands) and an enormous bottle of Seche Vite from BuyaPowa, and a new glass file (I got one for Christmas, but it isn't very good) and some stuff from Sally Magpie (check that shop out! It's amazing!) which hasn't come yet.

I've posted one of the Layla holos on my blog - it's quite pretty. But the second one (blog post later today I expect) is ten times better, omg it's stunning! I can't stop looking at it!