World Cup 2014- The Official Thread!!

Comments

• djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JP made mistakes in the France game but his enthusiasm makes him great to listen to

ITV's coverage has been dire
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark Chapman will presumably be doing the games that are on BBC3/BBC Red Button
    djfunnyman wrote: »

Great detailed analysis there.

It continues to be fashionable to write off ITV's coverage in one line, no reasons why just "Itv are crap lol" like you get on Twitter all the time, followed by some generic insult about Adrian Chiles.
  • Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Minor point about the BBC scoring graphic, but the abbreviation for Bosnia and Herzegovina is not BOS but BIH.

Source:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IOC_country_codes#B
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BFGArmy wrote: »
    Nope - not yet though he may well in future days.
    On the same front on ITV I'm sure Martin O'Neill is meant to be a pundit for ITV yet hasn't appeared yet.

He's at the Ireland summer training camp. He'll be along later in the tournament.
    bwfcol wrote: »
    Great feature on Bosnia.

Agree
    The BBC just does this better than any channel

Disagree. The BBC can often do this as well as anyone else, as seen in today's Bosnia feature, but often are horrendously bad - witness their Steven Gerrard/Opera House piece yesterday.

ITV has been the undisputed home of quality sports features for at least the last decade - and the countless awards won by Gabriel Clarke and Ned Boulting are testament to that.
  • CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah ITV have done some fantastic bits like that bbc Bosnia bit. Wish there would be an ESPN 30 for 30 style uk show.
  • sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    JP made mistakes in the France game but his enthusiasm makes him great to listen to

I used to often liste to JP on capital gold. He is great if you like pasich i do. But it was not his best night.
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    He's at the Ireland summer training camp. He'll be along later in the tournament.

Agree

Disagree. The BBC can often do this as well as anyone else, as seen in today's Bosnia feature, but often are horrendously bad - witness their Steven Gerrard/Opera House piece yesterday.

ITV has been the undisputed home of quality sports features for at least the last decade - and the countless awards won by Gabriel Clarke and Ned Boulting are testament to that.
    I haven't seen much from ITV to that quality yet but I'm sure it will come

I think the BBC are generally better at those but just my opinion.

Mark Chapman is working very hard, on TV and radio every day
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Laggy wrote: »
    They've even corrected him on the official BBC blog of the game http://i62.tinypic.com/25umi9s.jpg

Pat Nevin is a class 1 grade A idiot so what do people expect?
    If you farted, he'd be adamant you burped...
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter Drury back on World Cup form. His commentary on ITV website. On Messi's goal: "The goal the world wanted." Not just Africa this time! ;)
  • FuddFudd Posts: 167,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought ITV presenting from the beach was a nice touch and set a relaxed tone to proceedings - I wonder if they should do that on Thursday when everyone's getting wound up about England!

The BBC had a nightmare with the France v Honduras game though Thierry Henry is an excellent pundit and yes I was too harsh on Clarence Seedorf; when he's allowed to speak he is a good pundit. The insight into the French 2010 camp was very good but was surpassed by the Bosnian feature. The production overall for Argentina v Bosnia was a marked improvement on the earlier game.

I guess Mark Chapman will host tomorrow considering the 'low key' nature of the games BBC One are showing?
  • odz1odz1 Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried the audio 5 live commentary on red button for first time tonight watching Argentina match.

It was class so much better than the tv commentary. They actually seem they enjoy the game
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,987
    Forum Member
    Iqbal_M wrote: »
    Minor point about the BBC scoring graphic, but the abbreviation for Bosnia and Herzegovina is not BOS but BIH.

Source:

Those are the IOC codes, this isn't the Olympics so :p to the IOC. :)
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Phil Neville. He's a worse footballer than his brother, a worse coach, and now a worse co-commentator.
  • BFGArmyBFGArmy Posts: 28,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Drury back on World Cup form. His commentary on ITV website. On Messi's goal: "The goal the world wanted." Not just Africa this time! ;)

:D
    I remember last World Cup too he yelled out "Sing, Sing Africa" at one point (lyrics in their 2010 WC theme song) so he'd probably yell out "Brazil, Brazil, Brazil, Brazil" if he was still with ITV this time and Brazil scored.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Source:

Who says the BBC has to use the IOC codes for World Cup matches?
  • coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    I thought ITV presenting from the beach was a nice touch and set a relaxed tone to proceedings - I wonder if they should do that on Thursday when everyone's getting wound up about England!

The BBC had a nightmare with the France v Honduras game though Thierry Henry is an excellent pundit and yes I was too harsh on Clarence Seedorf; when he's allowed to speak he is a good pundit. The insight into the French 2010 camp was very good but was surpassed by the Bosnian feature. The production overall for Argentina v Bosnia was a marked improvement on the earlier game.

I guess Mark Chapman will host tomorrow considering the 'low key' nature of the games BBC One are showing?

nope, Gary is doing them both, dont forget Chappers is doing Radio5 aswell...
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    I did notice Matt Smith is presenting one day this week when ITV only have one game (think it may have been Wednesday) so Chiles is getting the odd day off it seems.
  • Anthony_RyanAnthony_Ryan Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    I've very much enjoyed the BBC TV coverage up to now, its got lots of va va voom :) and because the BBC coverage has no commercial breaks its nice not to have to put up with that stupid fool who appears in the Walkers crisps advert. I'd rather watch that nice clean living Gary Lineker instead :D .
  • Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Who says the BBC has to use the IOC codes for World Cup matches?

But other websites confirm that the abbreviation for Bosnia and Herzegovina is BIH.

http://www.worldatlas.com/aatlas/ctycodes.htm
  • Captain Peac0ckCaptain Peac0ck Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    I just can't get comfortable watching the ITV coverage, just start getting into something & that black & white square appears in the top left corner signifying adverts are coming. The whole thing feels rushed & squeezed in between the ad breaks.
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    But other websites confirm that the abbreviation for Bosnia and Herzegovina is BIH.

http://www.worldatlas.com/aatlas/ctycodes.htm

Someone is more likely to guess that "BOS" stands for "Bosnia", its for the ease of the viewer.

As for the coverage so far, I enjoyed the ITV hour on the beach. Lee Dixon and Tierry Henry the pick of the pundits so far, although lots of others have done a decent job.
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark Chapman is doing Russia v South Korea tomorrow and Nigeria v Bosnha on Sat - I think Phil Neville might be in the studio for both. Steve Wilson and Kevin Kilbane should be BBC's number 1 pairing for me - I think their one group game together is the Bosnia one on Sat, so a dream team as far as I'm concerned! I think the BBC have raised the studio punditry in terms of depth of quality, though I miss Klinsmann and Vialli from last time. Equally I miss Martinez and Carragher for ITV so not sure if the studio punditry has gone up that much, particularly for ITV.
  • BFGArmyBFGArmy Posts: 28,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just can't get comfortable watching the ITV coverage, just start getting into something & that black & white square appears in the top left corner signifying adverts are coming. The whole thing feels rushed & squeezed in between the ad breaks.

I disagree - normally I'd actually agree with you as especially on CL nights it can often feel like you're watching the adverts with some football thrown in. But this tournament I don't think there have been excessive breaks and I feel there's been plenty of time before and after matches for discussions and Chiles seem more relaxed and better because of it.
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Admittedly Phil Neville wasn't the greatest on Saturday night, but 445 people actually complained to the Beeb about him?

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jun/16/phil-neville-world-cup-bbc-complaints-england-italy-commentary

It did seem a bit of an odd time to give him his first match as co-commentator, although I suppose the BBC don't have much live football these days outside of the WC and Euros.
  • IC89IC89 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most disappointing aspect of the WC thus far has been the unnecessary and frankly horrible hounding of Chiles mildly on here but horrendously on social media.

There's just been no need for it. Adrian is presenting in a more relaxed manner and I quite like it. Granted his attempts at "banter" haven't gone down well with some, Cannavaro and Vieira to name two, but I've quite enjoyed him in the main. Unfortunately social media is full of sheep and this means he gets the most unpleasant treatment on Twitter et al.

Heading to the Copacabana yesterday was great. I thought AC was in his element and that really shone through. I've been impressed with ITV on the whole. There's nothing we can do about the dire commentator situation, and Fabio Cannavaro's English isn't as good as I expected it to be. Aside from that, however, it has been a good tournament.

I've enjoyed the BBC's coverage too and it was disappointing to hear poor Jonathan Pearce tangle himself up in knots yesterday. Similarly I wasn't as scathing as Neville. He sounded a little too close to the microphone and he was a bit monotone, but the core basis of what he was saying was good. I'd rather have a monotone co-comm who knows what he's talking about than a great tone but clueless, and I'm sure he'll improve if given the chance.

I enjoy both broadcasters graphics, particularly the 'GOAL' graphic on the BBC. I was listening with headphones so as not to wake the other half and there is a mild 'woosh' sound when the graphic is shown (unless I'm daydreaming that). The BBC's opening titles are growing on me too.

Would love to see the BBC copy ITV and head onto the beach for an early kick-off like others have said, it really does feel like they're there and part of it. When it gets dark it can sometimes feel they're just in a studio anywhere.