Options

How well does the Note 3 handle music playback

darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all,

I can upgrade from next week and have heard many good things about the Note 3, but everyone I know that has one, doesn't play music on it through headphones, so I was wondering on quality & how well it handles playlists, album artwork etc. Part of me wants to wait until the Note 4, but another part of me says the Note 3 will probably be cheaper.

I do currently use an ipod Touch 3rd Gen, but since that piece of sh!t aka itunes has started to refuse to copy over certain songs & resorting to the use of Media Monkey to copy over my tracks, I decided that my next Android phone would have to be able to handle music playback pretty well. Also as the tools at Apple have seen fit to make my ipod no longer compatible with Spotify, I have decided to have something that can do everything that I want it to, without the need for separate devices.

Any opinions for playing music on the Note series would be great.

Many thanks

Comments

• Options
    scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a Note 3 a few weeks ago and use my expensive Sony headsets with it wherever I go. Sound quality is superb compared to my old S4 and iPhone. I stream using Google Music, Spotify and also play .flac and .MP3 files up to 6 hours a day sometimes and it's never skipped a beat.

I really can't recommend it enough, and I'm sure as well as sound quality, it's other features will make you a proud owner. I chose it over the S5 and don't regret it one bit.

:) Mark
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scooby1970 wrote: »
    I had a Note 3 a few weeks ago and use my expensive Sony headsets with it wherever I go. Sound quality is superb compared to my old S4 and iPhone. I stream using Google Music, Spotify and also play .flac and .MP3 files up to 6 hours a day sometimes and it's never skipped a beat.

I really can't recommend it enough, and I'm sure as well as sound quality, it's other features will make you a proud owner. I chose it over the S5 and don't regret it one bit.

Wow that does sound great, how is the battery life after 6hrs of streaming ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Battery goes down about 1%-2% every hour when streaming from Google Music at high quality. Thankfully I'm on Three so never loose connection on my daily journeys.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scooby1970 wrote: »
    Battery goes down about 1%-2% every hour when streaming from Google Music at high quality. Thankfully I'm on Three so never loose connection on my daily journeys.

This handset is sounding better by the minute :). I currently have an S3 & the battery life is awful to say the least. I once went on a train journey from Norwich to Liverpool Lime Street, which takes about 5hrs 40 minutes. I started music playback on departure & had 3G active & only done the odd bit of surfing, checking DS & Facebook etc, when I had signal. However by the time I got off the train, the battery had gone from 100% to a lousy 17%.

So going by what people are saying about music playback & battery life, the Note route does seems to be the route to go. :)
  • Options
    AlecRAlecR Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The signal is dire on the Note 3 - one of the worst antennas in a phone I've ever experienced.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AlecR wrote: »
    The signal is dire on the Note 3 - one of the worst antennas in a phone I've ever experienced.

On what network did you find this issue & what area of the UK ?
  • Options
    gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can't say I've had antenna issues. My S4 was better than my iPhone and my note 3 is better than those.
  • Options
    AlecRAlecR Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On what network did you find this issue & what area of the UK ?

On every single network. I tested the phone in the south of the UK, including parts of London, Winchester, Southampton...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's better than it ever was on my S3 or our S4. I can't complain about it, and Three has never let me down.

• Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on O2 and have the note 3, I've never had problems with signal. In my apartment block only O2 has a signal and I have no problems with my note 3.

As for sound quality it's good. Better than the S4 and original galaxy note. Battery life is also good, I get through a whole day with ease, often getting around 1.5 days on a single charge. I have a spare battery that I carry around with me everyday for emergencies but I've only used it twice in 6 months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies everyone :). I popped into a CPW store earlier and had a use of a Note 3, which I really liked the feel of, which did partially surprise me as i thought that it would me so much bulkier than my S3, but there isn't that much a difference when holding it. I have decided to hold out & see what is offered i the Note 4, who knows the Note 3 may even have a reduction in tariff when the Note 4 is released. I know it means waiting until it is rumored to be revealed in September, but will be interesting to see what Samsung come up with.