Is this bad news for PS owners ?.

2»

Comments

• 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Mojang could just become the next Rare, bought up and forgotten about.

I don't see Minecraft been taken off the platforms its currently on so will it actually effect anyone?

LIke Rare? Bought up and forgotten about? Hmm not quite.

Last gen we had Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Viva PInata, Banjo Kaooie N&B, Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise, the awesome Perfect Dark HD and Banjo Kaooie/Tooie HD remakes then they moved on to the Kinect Sports series which saw 2 seasons and a new one for Xbox One. It won't be long before their next project is announced and there is no way their talent will be wasted on Kinect any more. Conker was announced at E3 for Project Spark, other IP such as Jet Force Gemini, Killer Instinct, B&K, Pefect Dark are used for skins in Minecraft and Kinect Sports Rivals.

I assume you've played all of these games in-depth to suggest they don't actually count for anything?
    Forum Member
    Clearly another sign that M$ are desperate. Didn't they just throw money at something else not that long ago?? Can't remember what it was, something to do with EA comes to mind?

Never been a fan of Sony until the PS4, I'm happy with my console choice. I'll be a happy chappy for a long time once I get Pro Evo and GTA 5.

They didnt exectly throw money at it, Microsoft Studios enetered into a partnership with Crystal Dynamics and are funding and overseeing the development of Tomb Raider: RotTR.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Last gen we had Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Viva PInata, Banjo Kaooie N&B, Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise, the awesome Perfect Dark HD and Banjo Kaooie/Tooie HD remakes then they moved on to the Kinect Sports series which saw 2 seasons and a new one for Xbox One. It won't be long before their next project is announced and there is no way their talent will be wasted on Kinect any more. Conker was announced at E3 for Project Spark, other IP such as Jet Force Gemini, Killer Instinct, B&K, Pefect Dark are used for skins in Minecraft and Kinect Sports Rivals.

I assume you've played all of these games in-depth to suggest they don't actually count for anything?

Jet force Gemini.... The rare glory days...Nintendo
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Rare are even more disappointing when you put it together like that. Some of the best releases they have had with MS are remasters of their N64 greats.

Kameo and Grab by the Ghoulies have been the best Rare have put out during their time with MS, but the lack of sequels for those games is telling for how well they were received. I would love to see more of these titles (And although not Rare, I would love to see another Blinx (Possible handled by Rare))

Banjo Nuts and Bolts just wasn't the game people wanted, everyone wants Banjo 3 which just made the Nut and Bolts a bit disappointing.

I didn't play Viva Piñata but that seemed quite niche and Kinect Sport is probably the low point for a once great developer like Rare (I am personally not a fan of this motion stuff).

I wont comment on the E3 stuff having not played any of that stuff in-depth enough to be able to comment...
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a good Eurogamer feature on the decline of RARE

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-08-who-killed-rare
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

lol. Like a poster above says - all you've done is highlight just how much they have fallen. They once made the best game ever on the N64 (in my view the best game ever full stop) and now they make kinect games...

And yes - I've played many of those games in dept.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hasn't Microsoft already said they give Rare free range to do whatever they feel is best? And that is Rare who propose the game ideas?
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    Hasn't Microsoft already said they give Rare free range to do whatever they feel is best? And that is Rare who propose the game ideas?

But I'm sure in the past Microsoft has very strongly suggested to them they would like them to be developing Kinect games and not given them free reign to make the games they want to.
    Forum Member
    Rare are even more disappointing when you put it together like that. Some of the best releases they have had with MS are remasters of their N64 greats.

Kameo and Grab by the Ghoulies have been the best Rare have put out during their time with MS, but the lack of sequels for those games is telling for how well they were received. I would love to see more of these titles (And although not Rare, I would love to see another Blinx (Possible handled by Rare))

Banjo Nuts and Bolts just wasn't the game people wanted, everyone wants Banjo 3 which just made the Nut and Bolts a bit disappointing.

I didn't play Viva Piñata but that seemed quite niche and Kinect Sport is probably the low point for a once great developer like Rare (I am personally not a fan of this motion stuff).

I wont comment on the E3 stuff having not played any of that stuff in-depth enough to be able to comment...

I believe most of Rare games sold well on 360. People didn't just want Banjo 3, the formula had got stale by the second game for heavens sake especially with the HD releases already on XBLA. Despite it being an awesome series, 3D platformers have to be something truly special for them to stand out these days.

What Banjo N&B offered was something fresh, taking advantage of the host hardware it offered a brilliant little physics engine and gave players the ability to experiment and create your own vehicles for use in the game. More importantly it was done in such a way that your creations genuinely felt like your own. I didn't quite get it at first but when it did click with me it all made sense. The long lost Stop 'n Swop feature from Banjo N64 was finally introduced as originally intended and made compatable between the XBLA game and N&B.

Given the sheer size and repetitiveness of Banjo 1/2 I'm happy Rare decided to take a risk on N&B. IMO it was the Banjo sequel the series deserved and remains a true hidden gem of the generation, plus it still has the best gfx I've ever seen in a 3D plaformer..Kameo was nice and also had some original gameplay. Viva Pinata was indeed niche but it actually sold the most copies out of all Xbox releases.

Rare are not dead, I'm convinced they are working on more than one of their core franchises right now for Xbox One. I hope it's Perfect Dark and Banjo Kazooie personally but I won't be disappointed if it turns out to be something else.
    Forum Member
    Bio Max wrote: »
    lol. Like a poster above says - all you've done is highlight just how much they have fallen. They once made the best game ever on the N64 (in my view the best game ever full stop) and now they make kinect games...

And yes - I've played many of those games in dept.

I wasn't suggesting Rare haven't had issues, my gripe was with Hotbirds suggestion that they were "bought up and forgotten about", which I think is grossly unfair since they've created some great games, original and clever games too. Naturally some of their best work will be HD remasters of classic games. I believe there's still a bright future for Rare.

The same could be said of Lionhead who also share a very impressive portfolio, but then came Fable II (one of the best games of last gen) and from setting the bar so high it's a game they are yet to match. Legends doesn't strike me as being a Fable II beater either. Thankfully their time developing Kinect software is also over. I'm certain they will deliver a quality title this gen though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The same could be said of Lionhead who also share a very impressive portfolio

I would argue the same for Lionhead. Rare and Lionhead/Bullfrog were some of my favourite developers of the 90's and its sad to see what those developers have become in recent years. Lionhead have become a one game studio pumping out Fable game after Fable game (I loved Fable 1 BTW, one of my favourite Xbox 1 games and I have enjoyed what I played of Fable 2 and considered a 360 to play it).

Maybe bought up and forgotten about was a strong term and I should have said "bought up and became a shadow of their former selves"
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are aligning the Mojang deal with what it means for Xbox, but isn't what they do more in line with MS's phone business? Sure, Minecraft is on multiple platforms, but it's hardly a means of promoting your next-gen powerhouse.

Meanwhile, MS are currently rebranding there, dropping the Nokia name and simply going with "Windows" across their businesses. If anything, doesn't this strategy slightly sideline the Xbox brand?
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    Seen this news earlier. Here's what Minecraft will look like should the next installment become a X1 exclusive http://imgur.com/KNgt0Hz

I know the minecraft bit is fake, but do Xbox users get them adverts or is that part of the joke as well?
  • DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    I doing think it would be a big problem if Minecraft did go Xbox exclusive. The game is already on PS platforms so they can NEVER take it away. And as it doesn't require online, PS owners will never lose it.

It could only affect future games. I don't see it as been a major problem.

Yes they can, plenty of games have been pulled from sale/removed/not working anymore from aquisitions. (midway, THQ).
    Forum Member
    Maybe bought up and forgotten about was a strong term and I should have said "bought up and became a shadow of their former selves"

Much better and while I don't agree, that is at least subjective where as your initial comment wasn't so much.
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    I know the minecraft bit is fake, but do Xbox users get them adverts or is that part of the joke as well?

LOL there are no adverts on Xbox One.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much better and while I don't agree, that is at least subjective where as your initial comment wasn't so much.

Haha I didn't think so, but I have never used one so in all fairness it could have anything and I wouldn't know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, if the stories today are true. 2.5billion dollars to get Minecraft on their crappy phone OS :o
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,963
    Forum Member
    Wow, if the stories today are true. 2.5billion dollars to get Minecraft on their crappy phone OS :o
    I'm not sure that Microsoft has a clear gaming strategy. Several tech pundits keep predicting that Microsoft might offload the whole Xbox division, especially with the new CEO, who's more a business orientated guy apparently. However, it seems like perhaps he does see a future for Microsoft gaming and this is part of it.
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't suggesting Rare haven't had issues, my gripe was with Hotbirds suggestion that they were "bought up and forgotten about", which I think is grossly unfair since they've created some great games, original and clever games too. Naturally some of their best work will be HD remasters of classic games. I believe there's still a bright future for Rare.

The same could be said of Lionhead who also share a very impressive portfolio, but then came Fable II (one of the best games of last gen) and from setting the bar so high it's a game they are yet to match. Legends doesn't strike me as being a Fable II beater either. Thankfully their time developing Kinect software is also over. I'm certain they will deliver a quality title this gen though.
    Fair enought. But my point is this...

Rare - used to make awesome games like Goldeneye - now make Kinect games.

Lionhead - used to make awesome games like Black & White and the original Fable....now Fable Heroes and Fable Legends.

Since microsoft bought them they just pump out what microsoft blatantly tell them too which is a shame as they are clearly talented.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Every time i run forza i get spammed with a Gold advert. I dont have gold. So you get adverts if you dont have Gold.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Owning a phone that uses their "Crappy(although having used it for 2 years,i find it easier to use than Android)" Phone OS,it means yet another device to buy it on