The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Why was 2011 such a low year for "Strictly Come Dancing" first episode I wonder?

It started at 6pm. In 2012 it moved to 7pm.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    It started at 6pm. In 2012 it moved to 7pm.

Mmmm must mean that the 6pm start harms it as well as a dancing judge introduction.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    The Countryfile/Antiques Roadshow OAP block is a strong one. The BBC always knows that if something goes wrong with SCD or another of their Sunday night shows, they can always revert to Countryfile and Antiques Roadshow between 7-9pm which will hook in a 5m+ audience. The OAPs a very loyal to those two programs so if worst comes to worst and SCD or Call The Midwife get axed one day, it wont be a huge problem... just move the OAP block to 7-9pm and they'll still win those slots anyway [albeit lower than what CTM and SCD used to get].

Also the BBC doesn't make any money out of SCD. It's not one of their dramas they can sell abroad and make into DVDs. ITV have more to lose with TXF, as it has been a big earner with its commercial breaks. The BBC could merely ditch SCD and move on, not that the old stager is suffering yet.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Itv would find it much harder replacing XF if it fails than the BBC would replacing SCD.

If SCD fails, they can simply move Countryfile from 6.20pm on Sundays to 7-8pm to cover that slot, where it would get 6m+. Maybe not as high as SCD but certainly would do a good job. And Im sure the BBC could shuffle the Saturday schedule a little so that the drama like Doctor Who airs earlier rather than 8.30pm.

Can you imagine how much difficulty Itv would have replacing XF?! Both Saturday and Sunday slots would be very difficult to replace. The BBC at least has things ready to replace SCD at solid levels ratings-wise.

It took the BBC five years to find a Saturday hit in Strictly after Noel's House Party ended in 1999. If Strictly failed BBC1 would have NOTHING left in light entertainment that could match it for ratings. ITV would struggle too but they still have BGT and I'm A Celebrity.
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is the Bbc's only big entertainment show. It would be just as difficult for the Bbc to replace SCD as it would be for ITV to replace TXF.

Considering Tumble was meant to be their next big entertainment hit, which failed miserably (beaten by Splash), I think they would struggle. Yes they could fill it with CF and DW with a few tedious lottery quizzes, but for how long. It would be a tedious schedule if that was on all year round.

Is the Great British Bake Off rating better than Strictly. I know it was down a little this week but prior to this.
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sat #1: 10.67m
    Sun #1: 9.53m

Sat #2: 10.13m
    Sun #2: 9.23m

Sat #3: 10.21m
    Sun #3: 9.79m

Saturday average: 10.33m
    Sunday average: 9.52m

Series average: 9.92m

ITV2 repeats add around 400k to the average of each ep. ITV day repeats could add double that. Let's say a conservative 800k added to each figure above to include the repeats.

Including the ITV and ITV2 daytime repeats I would put the series average at around 11 million.

The bigger picture reveals no crisis especially when a lot of shows are down this year, anomaly Bake Off excluded.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Also the BBC doesn't make any money out of SCD. It's not one of their dramas they can sell abroad and make into DVDs. ITV have more to lose with TXF, as it has been a big earner with its commercial breaks. The BBC could merely ditch SCD and move on, not that the old stager is suffering yet.

The BBC make money from the sales of the Strictly format worldwide plus the Strictly tour. It brings in a tidy sum for the BBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tobi wrote: »
    Is the Great British Bake Off rating better than Strictly. I know it was down a little this week but prior to this.

Bake Off has cleared 10m several times already. Strictly has only been on for two weeks and hasn't hit 10m yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    It took the BBC five years to find a Saturday hit in Strictly after Noel's House Party ended in 1999. If Strictly failed BBC1 would have NOTHING left in light entertainment that could match it for ratings. ITV would struggle too but they still have BGT and I'm A Celebrity.

the jungle only runs for 3 weeks and talent is only on for about 8 saturdays. the fix factor and strictly have longer runs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James J wrote: »
    Sat #1: 10.67m
    Sun #1: 9.53m

Sat #2: 10.13m
    Sun #2: 9.23m

Sat #3: 10.21m
    Sun #3: 9.79m

Saturday average: 10.33m
    Sunday average: 9.52m

Series average: 9.92m

ITV2 repeats add around 400k to the average of each ep. ITV day repeats could add double that. Let's say a conservative 800k added to each figure above to include the repeats.

Including the ITV and ITV2 daytime repeats I would put the series average at around 11 million.

The bigger picture reveals no crisis especially when a lot of shows are down this year, anomaly Bake Off excluded.

I hate it when The X Factor has so many repeats that those get added. You don't even know if all of those views are unique.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bake Off has cleared 10m several times already. Strictly has only been on for two weeks and hasn't hit 10m yet.

its week 1, see what happens at the end of october, could be a different story. however all shows apart from bake off are rating lower, so it only stands to reason both these shows the fix factor and strictly will rate lower this time round. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate it when The X Factor has so many repeats that those get added. You don't even know if all of those views are unique.
    It's just a different perspective.

There are 2 repeats and they get over 1 million between them.

I don't many of those viewers are repeat viewers, but that can't be proven so it's just for interest purposes.

Either way the series average is still at least 9.9m as of Week 3.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Twice, I think. Bingate week and w/e 14th September.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do you think by tuesday we will be talking about something else? fix factor and strictly are on til december! :o:o:o:o:o:o
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Is this the first year they've done it like this or was it like this in the Barlow years as well? I only caught 5 minutes but I was absolutely disgusted at what I saw. Horrible, horrible television. :(
    To be fair I don't think the 6 Chair Challenge is in and of itself a terrible idea. The flaw is less with the idea and more with the execution because as is so often the case with The X Factor and reality television in general rather than letting the whole thing speak for itself they've forced endless layers of drama and controversy upon it which makes the whole thing intensely uncomfortable viewing.
    Normal people at home dont shout at the tv or sing along with the songs like those people on Gogglebox...
    That's not true at all. Although I suppose that depends upon your definition of normal really.
    And they want more women but is it best for the show as hosts? If somebody said to me we can't have Graham Norton and must choose Alex Jones for a light entertainment vehicle I would spend the rest of the meeting saying "SERIOUSLY?" to them.
    I'd say I don't want Graham Norton but can I hire a talented woman instead but that's me...
    That is the Bbc's only big entertainment show. It would be just as difficult for the Bbc to replace SCD as it would be for ITV to replace TXF.

Considering Tumble was meant to be their next big entertainment hit, which failed miserably (beaten by Splash), I think they would struggle. Yes they could fill it with CF and DW with a few tedious lottery quizzes, but for how long. It would be a tedious schedule if that was on all year round.
    Both networks would have difficulty replacing each show albeit I think for different reasons.

The BBC schedule in general seems better equipped to launch a big new format but their struggle will be their obvious dearth of good ideas and presumably they'll want to avoid another Voice like escapade of buying in a big new format for lots of money. In contrast ITV could potentially be drowning in ideas because they won't struggle to buy new formats in but don't seem to have the schedule support to help launch a big new show.
    johnnymc wrote: »
    I certainly think Tess could kill any ratings march "Strictly" can get on "The X Factor"
    I think people are dramatically overstating the impact any presenter can have on a format like Strictly Come Dancing. As long as they're speaking in coherent sentences there's really very little damage they can do.
    Glenn A wrote: »
    BBC Worldwide has made a huge sum of money selling the Strictly Come Dancing format all over the world. Not that, that means they have to keep it on the air or anything.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quoting this because of today's Points of View. The edition of Bargain Hunt shown on Wednesday was shown by "human error" as it had already been shown two weeks before. :D Wednesday's accidental screening was its fifth in total. Doesn't say much for Loose Women, does it? :D

EDIT: Bugger! Quoted the wrong post, but it's still funny! :D
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC make money from the sales of the Strictly format worldwide plus the Strictly tour. It brings in a tidy sum for the BBC.

Probably not in the same way ITV makes money from commercial breaks during TXF, which at its height was making £ 50 million a year for ITV. The BBC can cancel shows in the way ITV can't, as there are advertising considerations and a fear of what might follow could be less successful.
    Commercial television is a very cut throat market now, as ITV and Channel 4 can no longer take the risks they would have done in the eighties. This often means very dated and no longer hit shows like YBF have been kept going for over 20 years simply because it's cheap and probably makes a reasonable profit.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    US drama Scorpion hit Australian screens last night with 597,000 sampling the pilot episode on Channel Ten. Not sure if it has secured a UK pickup yet but if not on this evidence there'll be no great rush, appearing to confirm the impression that the Big Bang Theory lead-in was very significant in America. In fairness down under it did beat the return of Modern Family later on in the evening for the same network, that only mustering 434K.

Channel Nine's The Block won the night with 1.55M viewers and Seven's X Factor averaged 1.11M. For ABC, Doctor Who slipped to a rather disappointing 569K.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strictly overnights series average after 3 episodes: 7.71m
    Strictly official series average after 1 episode: 9.16m
    * After 1 episode, the average timeshift for Strictly is +0.73m.

X Factor overnights series average after 10 episodes: 8.27m
    X Factor official series average after 6 episodes: 9.92m
    * After 6 episodes, the average timeshift for X Factor is +1.30m

Of the 3 nights both aired, Strictly has won by an average margin of 0.55m (overnight).
    Of the 1 nights both aired, X Factor has won by an average margin of 0.07m (consolidated).

ITV figs include HD and +1.

See you in the morning! :D
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    US drama Scorpion hit Australian screens last night with 597,000 sampling the pilot episode on Channel Ten. Not sure if it has secured a UK pickup yet but if not on this evidence there'll be no great rush, appearing to confirm the impression that the Big Bang Theory lead-in was very significant in America. In fairness down under it did beat the return of Modern Family later on in the evening for the same network, that only mustering 434K.

Channel Nine's The Block won the night with 1.55M viewers and Seven's X Factor averaged 1.11M. For ABC, Doctor Who slipped to a rather disappointing 569K.

I wonder if The Block is worth revisting as it's clear the format works but it failed on ITV but maybe it would succeed on BBC Two, Channel 4 or 5.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is everyone primed? :D
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    do you think by tuesday we will be talking about something else? fix factor and strictly are on til december! :o:o:o:o:o:o

Doesnt look like it !! ;-)
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Countryfile: 5.32m (26.7%)
    Antiques Roadshow: 4.68m (19.5%)
    Our Girl: 3.73m (16.0%)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    #TheXFactor was last night's most watched with 8.97m/37.4%, 280k up on last Sunday, but 500k down on last year's equivalent episode.

Great result, highest Sunday rating of the series and above the Sunday average until this point of 8.27m. Sunday's episodes have steadily climbed since week 2 (the first direct Strictly clash which was XF 7.8m, SCD 8.4m)
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 15s
    #TheXFactor was last night's most watched with 8.97m/37.4%, 280k up on last Sunday, but 500k down on last year's equivalent episode.

I think this will be the norm for X Factor now. It's settled at 7-9 million. Obviously Cowell will be seething ;)
This discussion has been closed.