What are your plans for Christmas?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ktboils wrote: »
    Oh dear. We're rather bah humbug.

We've no family here so love to spend the day on a nature reserve with a flask of soup and some sarnies and then a lovely meal in the evening. Perfect for us!

That sounds really nice! Maybe you could jazz it up a bit though and take some mince pies with you, or stick a bit of tinsel on your flask!
  • Options
    missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christmas Eve - Spending time with the in laws and perhaps going to midnight mass as i have never been before

Christmas Day - Morning with in laws then driving in laws to brother in laws house, on to my parents for xmas dinner and returning again to pick up in laws on the way home

Boxing day - hitting the next sale and then lying doing nothing for the rest of the hols :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read a lot of books, watch many DVDs, hiking, a Christmas party and sleep a lot. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We wanted to spend the day in our PJs watching crap TV and gorging on food. Maybe chucking a coat on and walking the dog too.
    Instead we have been emotionally blackmailed by my boyfriend's folks into spending the evening with them and the rest of the family. This is a compromise. They wanted us to spend the whole day with them.
    I've never understood people who who spend most of the day flitting from relative to relative. Spend the day at home!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,881
    Forum Member
    Christmas Eve arrive at my mum's around half 8ish. Go to the pub for a couple of drinks and have a catch up with the family. Christmas day open presents, cook dinner, eat dinner, watch TV. Boxing day take the dog for a long walk in the fields, get back and have a spread for lunch. After a few hours just chilling then head to the train station to head back to London. Nothing very exciting really.
  • Options
    *weeschmoo**weeschmoo* Posts: 9,713
    Forum Member
    Oh, I will almost certainly be peeling vegetables on Christmas Eve, and I will be making mince pies and some mulled wine.
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Christmas Eve - collecting the turkey and desserts from M&S then having lunch at our favourite Indian restaurant washed down with a nice pint of Cobra.

Christmas Day - our youngest is 21 on Christmas day so a bit more special than usual, sons and partners and in-laws for dinner, followed by games. We've bought a new game called Logo for this year so hopefully much laughter will ensue.

NO TV

Boxing Day - 21st birthday party, more silly games probably.

Day After - off to Dubai for New Year weather and Icelandic volcanoes permitting.
  • Options
    UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christmas Eve I'm meeting some uni friends I've not seen since I finished and then catching up with my Brother later that night.

Christmas Day will be me and my boyfriend until around 4 then to his family for dinner, home for 7 for Doctor Who and meeting friends at 8.

Boxing Day I go up to Inverness for the first time in ages and see the majority of the family, for the first time in ages :D
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Christmas Eve
    Into the village for the Christmas Wassail. Hot chestnuts, soup, mulled wine and hot chocolate and carols around the village square Christmas Tree. Then into various local pubs to catch up with friends.

Christmas Day
    Has developed into something of a tradition. Lazy-ish morning. Sausage sandwich for breakfast followed by a walk on the beach, then a visit to the courageous coffee shop owner who always opens on Christmas Day for a coffee. Back home to start Christmas dinner which we always eat AFTER the Queens speech.

A bit of slumping in front of the tv. Opening presents in the evening over a bit of light tea (makes the day really exciting)

Boxing Day
    As with someone else.

BIRTHDAY PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christmas eve - I will be baking pies for my Grandparents, aunt and uncle for a nice Christmassy tea, meet my aunts and grandmother for lunch and deliver said pies, come home and watch Christmas films with my little brother, then in the evening I will get drunk, so very drunk.

Christmas day - Get up at 8pm, open presents, have a bacon sandwich, eat some chocolate, visit Grandmother no 1 and deliver presents, then have Christmas dinner with Grandmother number 2 and rest of family. Come home and proceed to get incredibly drunk again in new Christmas pyjamas whilst eating more chocolate/cold turkey/cheese/pickled onions. Watch The Godfather with OH.

Boxing day- Lie in bed til 1pm. Begin drinking. Godfather 2.

Day after boxing day - Eat nothing but Terry's chocolate orange whilst weeping that Christmas is over. Worry about liver. Watch Godfather 3 to continue the disappointment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Xmas eve - Last minute xmas shopping most probably!!... then home to wrap & snuggle up in front of the t.v with other half and my 6 month old baby

Xmas Day - Undecided yet, wake up with other half and bubba....at the moment it looks like we're in the running for 2 xmas dinners (my mum's and his mum's) however I think I'll head to my mums while other half heads to his mums with bubba & then joins me at my mums later on (with baby of course)

Boxing Day - Back home, might pop out for a walk in the winter air all wrapped up...nice to make the most of the desserted streets lol!!
  • Options
    Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Here in Germany things are a bit bleak. Everyone is saying no present for adults just for the kids, nobody is going mad buying tons of food etc. After all it is only two days yet some people go bonkers and spend hundreds of pounds over the two day period. This year everyone is worried about the Euro, the little everyone is getting from our savings, the energy costs going up and up and so it seems a bit flat this year. Most people here rent homes rather than buy so the bank mortgage crash did not affect us here so much. In Germany it was always demanded that people had 30% deposit if you wanted to buy a home and they are pretty expensive here. Not so many lower income homes available to buy. Germans tend NOT to spend on credit. A bit like England in the 1950s, most people buy what they can afford rather than use credit cards etc!! Well, anyway, Happy Christmas and remember Health and family is more important than lots of daft toys and computer games etc!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    Christmas eve we will be having a buffet style of meal..just lots of party foods for us all to grab for..it'll be me and hubby and 3 kids..oldest will be here on Christmas eve so will have to get him from train station...get food ready for next day
    Chrsitmas day..up early for everyone to open gifts..get food started..watch whatever is on tv..maybe doctor who..my daughter's best friend who lives next door will be in to see what we all got and daughter will go in their house to nose at their stuff..hubby will phone his brother (that'll be in the morning though)
    Boxing day..will lay in bed for a wee while longer than normal...oldest son will leave to go back home...will be glad christmas is over for another year..will eat whatever we find that's left
    next day..hubby and son who still lives with us will be back at work
  • Options
    PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xmas Eve - Drive to Stansted airport, fly to Innsbruck then onto Mayrhofen. Once we are settled into the hotel we will probably go for dinner at the fondue restaurant, then drinks (jaegertea or gluhwein) at the Scotland Yard Pub

Xmas Day - Wake up about 7 and go down for breakfast. Put all my kit on, pick up my snowboard and head to the gondola for first lift at 9am ish. Snowboard until 11, stop for some jaegertea, snowboard some more, stop and have lunch at the Penken Park restaurant. Spend the afternoon snowboarding in the park. Head down the mountain about 4pm, stop off at the Ice bar for some more apres jaegertea, go back to hotel, shower, change and head out for dinner at Mo's. Go to Scotland Yard pub for more Jaegertea (can you tell I love Jaegertea). Go back to the hotel a little tipsy.

Boxing Day - The same as Xmas day, and repeat for a week.

Can't wait, it isn't Xmas for me unless I am in the mountains. Growing up my family all used to go skiing for Xmas, now just me and the hubby. My parents did come about 3 years ago with us, but unfortunately my fathers Alzheimers has progressed so they are unable to come now, and I took one of my nephew with us last year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christmas Eve I'll fly over to England with my husband and daughter for our first Christmas over there, get to my mothers - try to get her to breathe into a paper bag to stop her hyperventilating with excitement and get spoiled.

Christmas Day - open presents, try not to row with anyone and eat too much - watch everyone else get merry (am pregnant so won't be drinking yet again!)

Boxing day we will go to the pram race in a neighbouring village - it's brilliant and has been going for many years - everyone I've ever known from home will be there - then we'll go and see my Dad for a few hours - yay!
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wake up
    Get up when I feel ready
    Breakfast
    Radio, music or reading
    Go for a long walk - fewpeople about
    Possibly pop into a pub for a beer - possibbly not
    Light lunch (possibly alcohol included:D)
    Afternoon snooze
    More radio, music or reading
    Pleasant dinner (definetly alcohol included)
    Might put TV on - might not, might be radio, music or reading
    A large whisky (or two;))
    Bed when I feel ready.

Bliss

Beats the old 'family' Christmas of trying to pretend you liked the gifts, eating too much rather ordinary food, waiting for the row and slumping front of the TV for hours - all done because it's 'tradition'..........
  • Options
    JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CloneClown wrote: »
    Tell us about yours then - I'm nosey too. :p

christmas eve - up early, watch a christmas film, visit my auntie and see some family, home around 5pm, leave mince pie out for santa and sprinkle reindeer dust outside (my daughter is so excited this year!) once i've put daughter to bed around 7pm i'll crack open the bucks fizz, mulled wine and eat a load of crap, go to midnight mass with my cousin.

christmas day - up early to watch my little girl open her presents! quite a bit of visiting and exchanging of gifts in the morning, christmas luch with my mum, OH and daughter at 1pm (in a restaurant) more visiting late afternoon :rolleyes: then home around 7pm for a few christmas films, a game of monopoly, lots of bucks fizz and food. (i'm not doing all this visiting next year, doing the traditional day at home and inviting everyone to us)

boxing day lazy morning, let daughter play with her toys, another christmas lunch booked for 5pm at a restaurant with cousin and her kids. back to cousins for some christmas special dvds (royle family, gavin and stacey etc..) a bottle of bucks fizz and loads of chocolate.
    pugamo wrote: »
    Christmas eve - I will be baking pies for my Grandparents, aunt and uncle for a nice Christmassy tea, meet my aunts and grandmother for lunch and deliver said pies, come home and watch Christmas films with my little brother, then in the evening I will get drunk, so very drunk.

Christmas day - Get up at 8pm, open presents, have a bacon sandwich, eat some chocolate, visit Grandmother no 1 and deliver presents, then have Christmas dinner with Grandmother number 2 and rest of family. Come home and proceed to get incredibly drunk again in new Christmas pyjamas whilst eating more chocolate/cold turkey/cheese/pickled onions. Watch The Godfather with OH.

Boxing day- Lie in bed til 1pm. Begin drinking. Godfather 2.

Day after boxing day - Eat nothing but Terry's chocolate orange whilst weeping that Christmas is over. Worry about liver. Watch Godfather 3 to continue the disappointment.

hahahahhahahahahahahaha!!!! :D:D:D i too, drink a fair bit over the festive period. i also weep that christmas is over :o
  • Options
    CuBz90CuBz90 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably the same as last year for me...

Wake up, open some presents for my son. Go to my fiancée's nannas house for half cooked Xmas dinner and open some presents, then go to mums house for a small Xmas dinner and open some more presents, then along with my mum we'd go to my nannas and grandads house, have a 4 course huge Xmas dinner, open presents, have a drink and a laugh, watch the soaps, then go home late at night :)
  • Options
    odz1odz1 Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off to Alicante on 23rd. Can't be arsed with xmas.
  • Options
    CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    I like how bucks fizz plays a part each day in your Christmas celebrations Johnor - my Mum bought me a bottle of it today as a little present :D

Hope you have a great time celebrating with your daughter - I saw my niece in her first nativity play today which was cute.
  • Options
    CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    odz1 wrote: »
    Off to Alicante on 23rd. Can't be arsed with xmas.

It will still be Christmas in Alicante you know. :D
  • Options
    JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CloneClown wrote: »
    I like how bucks fizz plays a part each day in your Christmas celebrations Johnor - my Mum bought me a bottle of it today as a little present :D

Hope you have a great time celebrating with your daughter - I saw my niece in her first nativity play today which was cute.

i think i turn slightly alcoholic in december, i'm sipping a glass of bucks fizz now :o

aww, what part did your niece play? my daughter has her first one next week (she's only 2!) and she's father christmas. where he fits in to the nativity i don't know :confused: but i'm sure she'll steal the show :D
  • Options
    Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dreading Christmas this year , first one without my dear wife at my side also 29/12/2011 would have been her birthday and we have a big family gathering on that day , it will still happen , but I wish I could go to sleep and not wake until the New Year :cry::cry:
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the 23rd, we'll go in the evening to get our big Christmas food shop in. Plenty of goodies and treats. :D

On Christmas Eve, the preperation for the following day's Christmas Dinner begins. The smell has become a tradition and truly signals Christmas. :) In the evening, we'll be ordering takeaway for a treat, plus visiting relatives to exchange presents. :)

On Christmas Day, we get up, open presents, continue getting the dinner ready, etc. Stick on some Christmas TV / movies or some festive music, enjoy the tasty goodies we got in on the 23rd. Just have a nice, relaxed, Christmassy day. :) I always look forward to settling down on Christmas evening, watching the great TV. :cool:

I'll also be meeting with friends around the Christmas build-up for drinks, etc. :)
  • Options
    MamboJimboMamboJimbo Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My plan for Christmas is that I would spend it alone apart from my dearly beloved dog and three cats, with a great deal of alcohol, the Christmas Radio Times and the Sky + remote.

My actual reality for this Christmas is that I will be forced to spend it with my not very much loved except in the most abstract sense wife, her even less loved decrepit, snobbish, endlessly moaning semi-gaga mother and my wife's similarly less loved (by me) obnoxious son and his even more obnoxious, morbidly obese, unbelievably lazy second wife for at least a week in the former case and slightly longer in the latter.

Hope his helps.