Options

What do you think about the Beales big shocker storyline? spoilers

CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
Forum Member
✭✭
With the news overnight breaking that Lucy Beale will be sensationally killed off.

How do you feel about the story?

Exited - I can not wait!!
I'll judge it after it's aired
Gutted - DTC has made a mistake
Risky - killing off the only female Beale
Not bothered

With Janine gone and now Lucy on her way out the square will be missing a female bitch.

Who do you think will become EE next bitch?

Feelings on the Beales shocker storyline 140 votes

Excited - I can not wait to see this!
47% 66 votes
I will judge it once the storyline have been aired
21% 30 votes
Gutted - DTC has made a huge mistake
7% 10 votes
Risky - Killing off the only female Beale
12% 17 votes
Not bothered
6% 9 votes
It should have been a different Beale!
5% 8 votes

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poll to follow
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judge after it's aired for me.

I don't think you can really say whether killing someone off was a mistake until after it's been done. There are some storylines worth losing a part of history for in my opinion, but Pat and Kathy's weren't.

I personally would prefer it to have been Cindy, but that wouldn't have worked. Her death would not define Ian. He hasn't brought her up as his own as he did Steven and only took her in recently.
  • Options
    KellerKeller Posts: 5,970
    Forum Member
    Risky.

I know the new Lucy isn't particularly popular but she's a major character in the Beale family. One of the better things to happen during the Kirkwood and Newman eras was the rebuilding of the Beales into a stronger family unit. It's been great seeing them have more screen time recently and I'm not sure how they can move forward without Lucy.

The storyline could really pay off and refresh the Beales, add loads of drama and tragedy but in the long run it might not be worth losing her.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a risk but kinda exciting at the same time as we have seen Lucy from her birth to her death. I don't think this has ever happened on soap before? so the effects are pretty big as Lucy has been a constant of EE for 20 years. Every viewer will know her therefore have a connection to her death.

Regardless of peoples thoughts on Hetti, Lucy is the only living female Beale member aside from Elizabeth who I doubt we will ever see again anyway. So I think its a mistake and its effects won't be felt fully until a few years down the line. Once Ben Hardy leaves (he has already spoken about wanting to do more theatre) all we will have as Beale children is Bobby. Cindy is not Ian's daughter and with Peter and Lucy not there she has little purpose in Walford. So Ian will be left with only one kid on screen. You have to question the long term effect this will have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I'm a mixture of emotions.

I am excited as this could be a really great storyline, but I like the Beale legacy and killing Lucy off does limit it's strength for the future so in that sense it is risky. I have only just started to like Lucy so a little part of me is gutted, I would rather Cindy get the chop over Lucy.
  • Options
    TomTom Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    People are drawing similarities to Tina's murder in Coronation Street which I don't think is fair comparing a 6 year character to one that's sat at the heart of the show, daughter of an original character no less!

However if anyone remembers the hype surrounding the beginning of ill-fated soap Night & Day, I am getting that kind of vibe. Especially as Lucy as a bit of a 'Jane' look about her (Jane being the girl in Night & Day that went missing - not Jane Beale!)
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom wrote: »
    People are drawing similarities to Tina's murder in Coronation Street which I don't think is fair comparing a 6 year character to one that's sat at the heart of the show, daughter of an original character no less!

However if anyone remembers the hype surrounding the beginning of ill-fated soap Night & Day, I am getting that kind of vibe. Especially as Lucy as a bit of a 'Jane' look about her (Jane being the girl in Night & Day that went missing - not Jane Beale!)

I mentioned Night & Day in another topic. That was the first thing that came to my mind too. I liked how they covered Jane's disappearance. Perhaps we might still see Lucy but via flashbacks... its all a bit unexplained at the moment. Hetti said she was getting a big storyline. I doubt being killed off and losing her job was what she expected.. :confused: She was still filming at EE as of yesterday anyway.

What if Lucy fakes her death? I mean I have to admit. I'm so shocked DTC would kill her given he said in an interview how unhappy he was at Cindy's death.
  • Options
    Bart_MitchellBart_Mitchell Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Gutted - DTC has made a mistake .>:(

I do not see the point in this, if she wants to go just let her live with her Grandma or something.:(
  • Options
    Kate_CurleyKate_Curley Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I'm excited to see it but when I was watching last night I actually said to my husband.. "I wish they'd kill Ian off" . Sorry but I can't stand him but I only hope he shines in this new storyline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lou, Pete, Arthur, Pauline, Mark, Gail, Kathy, Pat and Cindy. The Beale/Fowler family have had quite few family members lost by the grim reaper.
  • Options
    KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to wait unit it's aired before I judge.

The story has the potential to be fantastic or it could be sensationalistic crap.

I'm not upset to see Lucy go though. I know she's a long-standing character but Hetti's Lucy has made no impact and I see it as no big loss.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I voted "wait till I see story aired", but in truth I'm feeling a bit mixed. I'm certainly not feeling "excited" or "it should be a different Beale". More of a mix of all the rest: not bothered/gutted/will judge/risky.

Not bothered: because there isn't anything on EE that I find exciting atm. So I shall wait as the months pass to see if this feeling changes. Also, Hetti brought nothing to the role except a change of heads. I'm loathe to say it but I didn't think she was a good actress in the role, even with the little she did have to do. I shan't miss HER Lucy that's for sure.

Gutted: because it's a Beale and part of the EE historical fabric. You get rid of characters that have a link to the early years of EE/its history, then you're in danger of tampering with the show's very long-term future. That's why I still miss Pat. Such a huge loss and, when I think of the reason she was killed off, a needlessly pointless and fruitless loss at that. I shall certainly miss Lucy Beale as character and the potential she offered if she had been played by better actresses than Melissa and Hetti.

Risky: because there is wiff of "sensentionalism" waffting in the air. Another killing/suicide/whatever, after Archie, Michael Moon, Heather, to bring the viewers, and the demise of a well-known character? Hmmm, not sure there. Anyway, I'm kinda jaded with the use of such stories to get/hold my attention these days. I don't work that way as a viewer and a fan. And top of that, it may feel like the whole thing is dragging if it's not executed well.

So I voted as I did: The only thing that stands out as "different" is that it isn't a typical whoodunnit and has an air of gothic mystery about it, which I find intriguing. But I shan't get my hopes up on this; all too often I'm left disappointed on things seemingly "hyped" by the PR machine behind EE. Fruit of the pudding and all that.
  • Options
    jarzojarzo Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Lucy has never been a character that I've really warmed to no matter who the actress has been who's played her. But I do feel that there's too much history and future potential for the character. The character of Lucy might not be setting the world alight right now but somewhere down the line she might well have been, even a few years down the line perhaps played by somebody else. But all that is lost and in my opinion it's all a bit short sighted. And you know it's true you might gain some sensation / ratings in the short term, but you have to question what you might lose in the long term.

I agree with the previous comments left here:
    Its a risk but kinda exciting at the same time as we have seen Lucy from her birth to her death. I don't think this has ever happened on soap before? so the effects are pretty big as Lucy has been a constant of EE for 20 years. Every viewer will know her therefore have a connection to her death.

Regardless of peoples thoughts on Hetti, Lucy is the only living female Beale member aside from Elizabeth who I doubt we will ever see again anyway. So I think its a mistake and its effects won't be felt fully until a few years down the line. Once Ben Hardy leaves (he has already spoken about wanting to do more theatre) all we will have as Beale children is Bobby. Cindy is not Ian's daughter and with Peter and Lucy not there she has little purpose in Walford. So Ian will be left with only one kid on screen. You have to question the long term effect this will have.
  • Options
    Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm excited that she's being killed off. :) This will give Adam Woodyatt the chance to really shine. I've never really liked Hetti Bywater's Lucy and I'm glad she's going and can't return. I think this is a brave move by DTC as Lucy has been part of Eastenders for years. I wonder if Ian and Jane get back together. Their grief might bring them closer.
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a really good idea. She's not the most relatable or likeable of characters, and Hetti is pretty much overshadowed by some of the stronger actresses on the show that are in her age group, so it's unlikely to have the effect of making some viewers turn off. But at the same time, she's a key part of EE history so there's going to be an element of 'Wow, I can't believe they'd actually kill her off' which sends a bold message out to viewers.

Obviously the proof will be in the pudding as to whether the storyline is a success or not, but I think as far as decisions go, this is a really good one, and I actually think it's genius that they've announced it like this as it's going to have people speculating and talking about it up until the point it happens. I can't wait.
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    This storyline sounds great and i hope it is very dark i miss the ays of EE when it was Gritty and dark its what sets EE part from the rest of the soaps. I wonder how she will exactly die though especially if this is going to fun for under a year, Will she be murdered? Will she commit suicide? Die Naturally OR Fake her death. This is very exciting and i can not wait to see how it all goes down.

Only thing is will having lucy no longer on the soap work for a short time or will there be regrets about losing her and she is part of the legacy of EE the Beale family. I do have faith in DTC and i think this is something he has properly had in his mind for a long time yet and now its happening.
  • Options
    mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    I shall still put my trousers on one leg at a time.
  • Options
    -Batman--Batman- Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    IMO DTC is doing this for a rating killer of a episode similar to Danielle's ending
  • Options
    KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Batman- wrote: »
    IMO DTC is doing this for a rating killer of a episode similar to Danielle's ending

Danielle's death was the climax of a long running storyline.

Lucy Beale's death however is the instigator of a long running storyline.

I doubt it's just a ratings stamp for one episode as it's going to run all the way until the shows anniversary next year.
  • Options
    Lion_60Lion_60 Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Excited - I can not wait to see this!

This storyline could be really huge and if this story will run the rest of the year, that could be great.
    The Beale family need a big storyline like this.
  • Options
    KenkennedykenneKenkennedykenne Posts: 3,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depressed cause I adore Lucy but if it leads to great storyline potential, I will accept it
  • Options
    Mani_BhangraMani_Bhangra Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect it's not the last we going to see of Gary Lucy, I think he will be a shock returnee of this storyline and I don't think he would have killed her but there will be secrets only he would know of.
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder who else this will involve?
    My bet is Aleks is involved somehow.
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect it's not the last we going to see of Gary Lucy, I think he will be a shock returnee of this storyline and I don't think he would have killed her but there will be secrets only he would know of.

I don't think it will involve Danny at all. IMO it's now clear that they got rid of Danny because he was surplus to this storyline. His exit was incredibly under-developed; they just didn't care about him as a character. I don't think they'd bring him back for such a major storyline. Could be wrong but I'd be very surprised to see him back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds great! Can't wait to see how it happens. Never liked Lucy so doesn't bother me and couldn't careless about the Beale family history.