Options

Have you ever fainted in a public place?

WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am 30 years old and have never fainted in my life, until today when I passed out at the post office while I was being served. It was awful, I just suddenly felt very, very sick and like I was going to vomit. I spent a couple of minutes trying to hold it together before pitifully mumbling "I don't feel well" and the next thing I knew I was on the floor with a very worried member of staff looking after me! I was put into the recovery position, given water, and had my details taken before my mum was able to come to my rescue and see me out.

Thankfully the post office is also a chemists and they sent me over to a nearby doctors just to make sure all was well. Turned out I had a Ventricular Tachycardia episode and it was likely down to how humid it was in the post office (it was seriously unbearable in there, I don't know how the poor staff cope).

The experience has me interested in whether this sort of thing has happened to any of you? I'm just hoping it won't happen again to me. The feeling right before I fainted was horrendous.

Comments

• Options
    prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    Poor you! Glad you're not hurt.

Never fainted completely in public but I fainted in front of my mum and seamstress at my wedding dress fitting! I remember that feeling so well before, I even said "I don't feel well" to my mum before I went.

Just try not to dwell on it and you'll be fine xxx
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have felt faint occasionally, but never actually passed out.

The last occasion was in 2006 when our old boss retired. We were all standing in the canteen listening to him ramble on about the good old days, and I started to feel very hot, with the room going dark and my ears ringing. Had to get out quick and sit in the loo, with my head between my legs. Like you I felt very sick, but in the end, wasn't.

It was my first day back following a fluey infection, so it was probably that. Felt much better after a few minutes.

He must have thought I was getting bored and couldn't listen anymore !!!

Anyway, hope you're feeling a bit more human now, OP :)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I fainted on a nightout last year.

It was December so I thought i'd wear a jumper but in about the third pub I was sweating buckets.
    I said a couple of times that I wasn't feeling too good and then just keeled over.

I only passed out for a couple of seconds and my mates got me up and took me outside for some fresh air.

I went home and went to bed early. Didn't get any sleep though but felt fine the next day. Not happened since.

All I can put it down to is the heat. ???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor you! Glad you're not hurt.

Thanks. :)

I was perfectly fine about an hour later but I was really lucky I didn't hit my head or otherwise injure myself when I went down.

I'm mainly just very bemused by it now, and feel a bit bad for causing such a fuss for the staff. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I have felt faint occasionally, but never actually passed out.

Anyway, hope you're feeling a bit more human now, OP :)

That was me until today - I've felt faint and very sick lots of times in my life but actually going all the way and passing out is a first!

I'm feeling fine now, thanks, apart from how humid it continues to be tonight. Got all my windows open and a big electric fan on!
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wuthering wrote: »
    That was me until today - I've felt faint and very sick lots of times in my life but actually going all the way and passing out is a first!

I'm feeling fine now, thanks, apart from how humid it continues to be tonight. Got all my windows open and a big electric fan on!

It is very humid and uncomfortable, no doubt about it.
  • Options
    prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    I bet it's the talking point for them at the dinner*table tonight with their families!
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    In the middle of the night after my surgery last November - I got out of bed and went to the loo in my ward bay. Sat on the loo, suddenly felt very strange then passed out. I came round a couple of times and knew I had to press a button or pull a string to get the nurse but couldn't find it! Eventually I did, by which time I'd been in and out of consciousness for 45 minutes with my pants round my ankles! Very classy....:D

Turned out I'd had a big internal bleed and my blood pressure had dropped through the floor. It's the one and only time I've ever fainted!
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes it is something quite common you are not the first person it has happened to and in the grand scheme of things its not a big deal :confused:
  • Options
    agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    I have never fainted...
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    No but I almost have

When I was a kid I was clothes shopping with my sister, she was in the changing room and I was standing outside waiting, I started yawning a lot then I felt sick so I told my sister who got me a seat and a drink before I fainted

It happened twice more in my life, once when I was at the park with my mum and cousin and once when I was signing on
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet it's the talking point for them at the dinner*table tonight with their families!

:D

They were really kind to me, and very professional about it. A post office/chemist is no doubt one of the better places to fall ill in, and it really helps there is a doctors surgery a few feet along the road. I was lucky. :)
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fainted outside a shop near school when I was 15. It was as you describe, I felt horribly sick initially, then the next thing I knew I was on the ground and my friends were panicking, saying I went down like a 'sack of spuds'.

I was going through a teenage girl phase of not eating much at the time.
  • Options
    RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Several times! In McDonalds, school assembly, swimming pool, primary 5, primary 6, Tesco, Primark... Happy to say now I have been faint free since '09!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never fainted...

wait till you see a picture of me neked my beauty will astound you
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to have low blood pressure and fainted regularly during my teens and twenties, especially in places that were hot and crowded. I've fainted in pubs, clubs, shops and on the platform at Victoria tube station. I also fainted when accompanying a friend to A&E after she'd cut her head open - she was most hacked off that I got seen more quickly than she did!

I had to warn new boyfriends that if I ever said "I think I might faint" they had to get me into the fresh air pdq.

The last time I fainted was after falling down the pub stairs and knocking myself out when I hit my head on the door at the bottom. I came round to find myself surrounded by concerned looking people, pronounced myself fine, if a little over-refreshed, got up, took a few steps and fainted.

After that, I was under orders to use the cubicle in the gents if I'd more than 2 or 3 drinks, rather than go upstairs to the ladies.
  • Options
    agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    wait till you see a picture of me neked my beauty will astound you

Nah, that'd be like that film where the people who watch a certain video die...(or summat)

Ironically I think it's called The Ring...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, that'd be like that film where the people who watch a certain video die...(or summat)

Ironically I think it's called The Ring...

thought that was a telephone call
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not quite... but almost.

One of my hobbies is model-making. One evening, many, many years ago I dropped a craft knife blade on the floor, knelt down to find it... and found it when it went point-first into my leg just above the knee. For a few days after that, my leg wouldn't bend at all. Then it would bend, just as long as I did it very slowly and very carefully.

Until a couple of weeks later when I spotted a new issue of Scale Models (long defunct title) on the bottom shelf at W H Smith and, without thinking, crouched down to pick it up. Had I been asked to rate the pain on a scale up to 10, I'd have asked for a scale going up to 11.

I stayed upright, but dread to think what I must have looked like. I certainly felt cold and clammy, with that "buzzing in the ears" and a distinct feeling of light-headedness.

I have been religious about keeping knife blades well away from the table's edge ever since.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    I stayed upright, but dread to think what I must have looked like. I certainly felt cold and clammy, with that "buzzing in the ears".

I always used to get the buzzing sound, and my colour vision would fade to black and white as I fainted. Very strange.
  • Options
    knickerlesscageknickerlesscage Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fainted once at a rock concert. I had been jumping up and down and it was very hot and crowded. I felt very sick and decided I had to get out of the crowd, as I started walking I got like tunnel vision which eventually went completely black as I hit the deck. My girlfriend at the time said "get up, you look like you're on drugs" - very sympathetic :D

I felt much better once I hit the ground really - probably the blood going back to my head.
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I fainted last year following a standard routine blood test. I have a terrible reaction to blood tests, I'm rather squeamish so I normally stay sat where I am for about 3-5 minutes after the test is finished so I can relax.

I made the mistake of getting straight up and walking out, it started off as feeling really light headed which I'd experienced before when I normally have a 'sqeamish episode' but I thought it would just go away. As I made my way out of the hospital my vision started to blur and my hearing went funny, as I was reaching the main entrance I felt like I'd just been knocked over the head with a blunt instrument and next thing I know I wake up slumped on one of the waiting room chairs with strangers standing around me wondering where the hell I was. I always used to think that fainting was just like falling asleep, how wrong I was.

Was it just me or did anyone else see fireworks whilst they were passed out? :kitty:
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many years ago at work I was struggling to remove a heavy pack of A2 paper from an overhead shelf and did that thing you do when you heave on something so hard that your grip slips, this time I banged the point of my elbow on the wall, this, for some reason made me faint, and I found myself in a heap on the floor.

Luckily no one saw this, so embarrassment was avoided.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always used to think that fainting was just like falling asleep, how wrong I was.

Same here. I had no idea how ill you could feel from it/before it. I'll be more careful about going to certain places in extreme humidity from now on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Only once, during a random festival years ago. It was hot and I'd not been drinking enough water and next thing I knew I was out cold in the middle of the crowd. Came to after a few seconds and was helped to the medical tent by friends where I had a cold, wet towel put around my neckand told to sip water.

Nearly fainted again recently in the A&E after fracturing a couple of ribs. Got the cold, clammy feeling with the head buzzing but managed to stay upright. Not nice. :(