Options

'Listen' Spoiler-Free Reviews

CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
Forum Member
✭✭
By all accounts it's the episode which has garnered the most intrigue since the scripts and the screeners leaked ahead of Series 8. Some say it is the best of the Moffat we knew before the takeover. Some say it will have Moffat critics grabbing their razor blades and lemon juice. Some say it will go down as a classic, while others say it will be remembered for the wrong reasons.

All we know is... it's almost time to LISTEN. What scares the grand old man of time and space? Find out next time! Until then, we're sure to have plenty more reviews to look over.
"A complete departure for me in terms of writing Doctor Who. A tiny guest cast, no CGI. It's the story of a date and the Doctor having what appears to be a mild nervous breakdown. There's a little germ of Coupling in it. It's actually quite a scary one. I sometimes wonder: "What does the Doctor do when there's nothing going on? Does he go and find something to poke a stick at?" Of course he must. Essentially it's downtime for the Doctor. But don't worry, it involves a monster."

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next time trailer really looks awesome!! Listen could be my favorite episode ever!! So excited!

My favorite episodes so far are Human Nature two-parter and Pandorica two-parter. And I really think Listen could be even better! Trailer looks soooo promising! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh - and we also saw this part of the console (on the right) being used. I don't believe it has been, before.

Interesting :)
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    The mere fact that there were kids in the trailer put me off. It never bodes well for me.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,631
    Forum Member
    Best episode in a very long time. Relax sit back enjoy. Moffat is on form with this one. Every bit as good as "Blink" in my opinion. Simple, good drama and wonderful performances from Capaldi and Coleman. I did rediscover a love for the Moffat episodes after this one.
  • Options
    Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed tonight's episode but my excitement for it over the week has paled in comparison to what I'm hearing about this episode. I love the Moffat written episodes, particularly when they go towards the scarier route, and from tonight's teaser this looks absolutely terrifying. Should be a real treat for me.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cringed at the teaser because they really should have saved one thing in particular for the episode... not that it's explained in a 15 second teaser but still...

A spoiler-free review - it's bloody great! Moffat in GITFP/Blink mode, though obviously not just repeating those dynamics. Capaldi putting in one of the best performances seen by a new series Doctor. He is allowed to act, with no bells and whistles, and it's brilliant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read the DWM preview (saved them up!) and so far, so promising.

TARDIS-by-candlelight :)
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really looking forward to Listen. The episodes of Series 8 have all so far been good, but none of them have been really stand-out. I'm hoping this all changes with this episode.

I've heard some people saying it's amongst Moffat's best whilst others are saying it's a load of crap. I really want it to be the former, but I'll have to wait until I see the episode.
    Honestly though, psychological thriller episodes are amongst my favourites so I really can't see myself disliking this. :)

However, I think it's fair to say this is the first episode of Series 8 I've been really looking forward to.
  • Options
    David_H_93David_H_93 Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    I hope this episode will shut up The Steven Moffat haters because the criticism is way over the top
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm really looking forward to Listen. The episodes of Series 8 have all so far been good, but none of them have been really stand-out. I'm hoping this all changes with this episode.

I've heard some people saying its amongst Moffat's best whilst others are saying its a load of crap. I really want it to be the former, but I'll have to wait until I see the episode.

However, I think it's fair to say this is the first episode of Series 8 I've been really looking forward to.

So it's the same reaction of the first 3 episodes 50% love the episodes where the other 50% hate them
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually love the scary Moffat episodes but I thought Listen was a stinker.

It's hard to say why without spoilers, so I'll leave it at that for now, and come back and give my reasons next week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TCD1975 wrote: »
    I usually love the scary Moffat episodes but I thought Listen was a stinker.

It's hard to say why without spoilers, so I'll leave it at that for now, and come back and give my reasons next week.

Do you own a Tardis cause the episode is a week away from being aired and you're calling it a stinker?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David_H_93 wrote: »
    Do you own a Tardis cause the episode is a week away from being aired and you're calling it a stinker?

Leak viewer :p
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've heard some people saying it's amongst Moffat's best whilst others are saying it's a load of crap. I really want it to be the former, but I'll have to wait until I see the episode.
    Honestly though, psychological thriller episodes are amongst my favourites so I really can't see myself disliking this. :)

It's not crap, it's vintage Moffat. How you feel about that is up to you.

It's reminiscent of early M. Night Shyamalan in that what you think of the episode may well depend on what you think of the plot.

But in any case, it's the best episode of the season so far.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,339
    Forum Member
    The mere fact that there were kids in the trailer put me off. It never bodes well for me.
    Exactly what I was thinking. been hearing the hype about this episode on this forum for the past couple of weeks and then suddenly I see the trailer and there are kids in the trailer more than the doctor. Not just one either, there were at least two or three and the trailer made them seem like they were quite prominent in the episode.

Night terrors for me is my worst episode and that trailer made it look similar to that. Not really looking forward to this episode now but of course I hope that I am completely wrong and end up enjoying the episode.
  • Options
    Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it's the same reaction of the first 3 episodes 50% love the episodes where the other 50% hate them

I'd say less than 50% hate them, it's just the ones that do hate them feel the need to make themselves heard more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly what I was thinking. been hearing the hype about this episode on this forum for the past couple of weeks and then suddenly I see the trailer and there are kids in the trailer more than the doctor. Not just one either, there were at least two or three and the trailer made them seem like they were quite prominent in the episode.

Night terrors for me is my worst episode and that trailer made it look similar to that. Not really looking forward to this episode now but of course I hope that I am completely wrong and end up enjoying the episode.

It's a hundred million times better than Night Terrors.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,631
    Forum Member

Nothing like "Night Terrors" I thought this episode was quite scary. It took me back to feeling of watching "Doctor Who" as a child. It may scare young children
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,339
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    It's a hundred million times better than Night Terrors.
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Nothing like "Night Terrors" I thought this episode was quite scary. It took me back to feeling of watching "Doctor Who" as a child. It may scare young children
    It was Just an impression I got from the trailer, but I hope you are both right because the kids in the trailer made me think bad of it but I do hope it's nothing like that and that I do enjoy the episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »

Yeah, I'd suspect we're in bbfc 12 rating territory here (as opposed to most of the episodes which are PG)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted. Double post!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You do know that some episodes leaked don't you? How else was a review thread, a week before the episode airs, going to work?

Did you question the validity of my statement because it's negative? You don't seem to have made the same argument against the people who've said they enjoyed watching the episode?
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those saying they're wary of the Listen because of kids being in the teaser will wonder what they were worried about, once they've seen it.

Also, I think it will be more like a 80/20 split for positive/negative reactions to the episode, rather than 50/50. All I know is I was proper engrossed watching it. The first 30 minutes are as perfect as Doctor Who can get. Where it goes from there is what, I feel, the haters will focus on.

I have sat mostly in the Moffat-bashing camp since he took over, so I don't like Listen because I'm one of his constant apologists. I just happen to enjoy it when he gets things right! Like here and in his better episodes e.g. Asylum.
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lord Smexy wrote: »
    I'd say less than 50% hate them, it's just the ones that do hate them feel the need to make themselves heard more.

Probably the other way round.
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those saying they're wary of the Listen because of kids being in the teaser will wonder what they were worried about, once they've seen it.

Also, I think it will be more like a 80/20 split for positive/negative reactions to the episode, rather than 50/50. All I know is I was proper engrossed watching it. The first 30 minutes are as perfect as Doctor Who can get. Where it goes from there is what, I feel, the haters will focus on.

I have sat mostly in the Moffat-bashing camp since he took over, so I don't like Listen because I'm one of his constant apologists. I just happen to enjoy it when he gets things right! Like here and in his better episodes e.g. Asylum.

But what's the point of 30 minutes of brilliance if it is ruined by the last 15 minutes (I haven't seen it, so I'm just going on what you said). If you think the abysmal Asylum was good then I don't hold out much hope for next week!