Options

Iphone 6/6 plus first impressions

Comments

• Options
    sky0000547sky0000547 Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I just came from an iPhone 4, nevermind the 6 Plus I'm now in possession of the 6 and it feels large to me. I have man handled the Samsung S4 before and the more I'm using this 6 the more I feel I'm handling a Samsung because of its size.

I'm also not too sure if some of the apps are not designed for the bigger screen but they look slightly blur to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sky0000547 wrote: »
    I just came from an iPhone 4, nevermind the 6 Plus I'm now in possession of the 6 and it feels large to me. I have man handled the Samsung S4 before and the more I'm using this 6 the more I feel I'm handling a Samsung because of its size.

I'm also not too sure if some of the apps are not designed for the bigger screen but they look slightly blur to me.

Yeah, that's correct. Most third party apps are scaled up to fit the screen at moment, but hopefully this will change quickly. As you say, they're a bit blurry, the status bar is slightly bigger, and the keyboard is scaled up (although actually easier to type with).
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Like Devonbloke I went into Plymouth today (actually for roller blinds, but as I was there .......)

Played with both phones, and can only reiterate what others have said about the iPhone 6 plus. It is big. Too big for me. Though I did like the rotatey thing the icons do in landscape, which the 6 doesn't. Though as a novelty it would wear off soon enough and I'd be left with a hard to use phone (for me). It does;t sit well in a pocket, either and I felt silly holding it up to make a call (MY opinion only)

Do I se a phone one handed? I don't know I just use a phone. However MY thumb wouldn't reach over to hit the call button on the extreme left hand side, when using it one handed.

So. I opted for the iPhone 6 (but have to wait for it to come in stock)

Interestingly layer that day, with the cay sitting on me I had to look something up, then call someone about it and my iPad wasn't close to hand.

And I realised that I am more adept (and hence practiced) at making calls one handed. So for ME the choice of the iPhone 6 was the right one.
  • Options
    wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the 5c/s is just the right size for me, I wouldn't buy anything bigger from any manufacturer.
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    the 5c/s is just the right size for me, I wouldn't buy anything bigger from any manufacturer.

Apple have done a good job with the 6, it doesn't feel significantly larger than the 5s, it is really nice in the hand due to the thinness and rounded edges.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Further impressions after using it for a day:

I would have preferred a Iphone 6 minus. The larger screen is fine for web and video however as a phone its too big for the pocket and massive when texting and that's not even the larger model. I think Apple missed a trick because Id have discontinued the 5S and made a smaller 4" one with the iphone 6 design.

iOS points: Heath app should be able to get deleted, the word prediction on the keyboard is rubbish, podcast and tips a waste of an app. Apple are starting to add apps like Andoird just for the sake of it.

It clear any innovation went when Tim Cook took over. Don't get me wrong its a good phone however the OS is very flat and cold compared to older versions before 7. Safari is not a patch on what it use to be.

Hardware wise should have been sapphire glass glass, waterproof, 2GB ram, better hd screen, 4k video, 16mp camera despite the 8mp being improved they could have gave us a large print opinion. Also the raised camera and lines were not needed as the early leaks said. Space grey? More like it gets higher grey/silver year by year.

They are catching up quick with android. That's good for some people but not everybody likes large screens and I feel it's a shame the only 4" offering is last years phones.

Positives:

Better battery life.
    Good screen for the web.
    Speaker very loud for music.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also don't see any reason for the home button moving to the side.
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also don't see any reason for the home button moving to the side.

You mean power button. I think it makes perfect sense for the power button to be on the side for a large phone
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets get down to the brass tacks, what does the iPhone 6 do that can not be done on any other smartphone? Serious question. Forget all the tweaks Apple have made, like better screen, better camera, bigger, faster, better iOS, I want to know how the iPhone 6 will change my life. :p
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member

Interesting quote about the sapphire screen costing about £16 more than a normal screen but this would mean about £100 more to the customer.... Apple do love their profit margins :D
  • Options
    bampsambampsam Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets get down to the brass tacks, what does the iPhone 6 do that can not be done on any other smartphone? Serious question. Forget all the tweaks Apple have made, like better screen, better camera, bigger, faster, better iOS, I want to know how the iPhone 6 will change my life. :p

I agree it will not change your life! As I posted before,my 6 plus is going back to Apple,as I much prefer my HTC One M8. The 6 in my opinion is not worth the money being asked,and has no bells and whistles expected pre launch. No doubt Apple lovers will launch into me,but I'm sticking with Android.
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bampsam wrote: »
    I agree it will not change your life! As I posted before,my 6 plus is going back to Apple,as I much prefer my HTC One M8. The 6 in my opinion is not worth the money being asked,and has no bells and whistles expected pre launch. No doubt Apple lovers will launch into me,but I'm sticking with Android.

Interesting, I moved from years of iphones to HTC one m8. The only thing I miss is my iPhone camera though! For the last few years I've always been so disappointed with iPhone up grades. What exactly put you off the 6?
  • Options
    bampsambampsam Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    Interesting, I moved from years of iphones to HTC one m8. The only thing I miss is my iPhone camera though! For the last few years I've always been so disappointed with iPhone up grades. What exactly put you off the 6?

It's just a flat,featureless slab,with the protruding camera lens. No outstanding features to justify spending £619!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kalmia wrote: »
    I upgraded from a 4S (yeah, I know!) and I'm pretty impressed with it.

What's wrong with upgrading from a 4S to 6?

I can't understand people who do the opposite to you and upgrade to the newest model each time.
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jumped from an iPhone 4 to a nexus 5 6 months ago, got an iphone 6 on Friday and I am very impressed. Feels beautiful to hold, the screen is great even though it is a lower resolution than the nexus 5.

Very happy with my new phone.
  • Options
    EvanWhisper05EvanWhisper05 Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I currently own a Galaxy S3, with my contract ending in June, and I'm deliberating all sorts of phones at the moment, and waited specifically until the 6 was announced and released before I started really considering what my next upgrade would be.

Can Apple users answer me this question? It's not a criticism, but genuine curiosity to help make my decision.

I have gone on specs comparison websites to compare the 5S and the 6 and a LOT of the features seem to be the same. The front camera, the back camera, the camcorder, pixel density, slightly increased mAh battery, and it's actually heavier. I've owned my Galaxy S3 for two years so just compared their S5 release 6 months ago to the iPhone 6, which has almost double the battery mAh, a 16MP front camera, and a 2.1MP front camera. Factually speaking, their specs are better, and yet the iPhone release reactions are absolutely insane. What IS the big fuss about? What makes the Apple phone trump other models even if they don't put as much effort into their specs improvements? I'm saying this from an outside perspective because I've never owned an Apple product.

In simple design terms, I struggle to see how the 6 is anything impressive. It looks to me like the ipod Touch? It's slim, yes, but the screen size is big (which was what apple users previously attacked other phone companies for and now suddenly it's great), but the 5S design to me looks so much classier and superior, and feels sturdier even though it's lighter.

Right now, if I was to convert to Apple the S5 actually looks more appealing to me and is cheaper now, but I'm just waiting to gauge reactions about how iOS8 runs on it, but two of my friends have them and said it's just improved it and doesn't have any lag.

But yes I'm intrigued to know what the fuss is about. There are fanboys who want the latest shiny model but i'm not interested in that perspective.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I currently own a Galaxy S3, with my contract ending in June, and I'm deliberating all sorts of phones at the moment, and waited specifically until the 6 was announced and released before I started really considering what my next upgrade would be.

Can Apple users answer me this question? It's not a criticism, but genuine curiosity to help make my decision.

I have gone on specs comparison websites to compare the 5S and the 6 and a LOT of the features seem to be the same. The front camera, the back camera, the camcorder, pixel density, slightly increased mAh battery, and it's actually heavier. I've owned my Galaxy S3 for two years so just compared their S5 release 6 months ago to the iPhone 6, which has almost double the battery mAh, a 16MP front camera, and a 2.1MP front camera. Factually speaking, their specs are better, and yet the iPhone release reactions are absolutely insane. What IS the big fuss about? What makes the Apple phone trump other models even if they don't put as much effort into their specs improvements? I'm saying this from an outside perspective because I've never owned an Apple product.

In simple design terms, I struggle to see how the 6 is anything impressive. It looks to me like the ipod Touch? It's slim, yes, but the screen size is big (which was what apple users previously attacked other phone companies for and now suddenly it's great), but the 5S design to me looks so much classier and superior, and feels sturdier even though it's lighter.

Right now, if I was to convert to Apple the S5 actually looks more appealing to me and is cheaper now, but I'm just waiting to gauge reactions about how iOS8 runs on it, but two of my friends have them and said it's just improved it and doesn't have any lag.

But yes I'm intrigued to know what the fuss is about. There are fanboys who want the latest shiny model but i'm not interested in that perspective.

I think it's best to go into an Apple or phone store and hold the 6 in your hand and play around with it for a bit. You will clearly see there is quite a big difference between the 5s and 6/ 6 plus in terms of screen clarity, speed, swiping and functionality. It feels lighter as well for some reason. Maybe it's because it's thinner.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    First impressions of the Plus, is the inescapable: It's HUGE !

Anyway it's growing on me. Only been under 24 hours I've been using it,

However. The screen so much easier for my deteriorating eyesight. So at least I won't have to carry around my tablet with me anymore.

Huge and growing? Not good :p I got used to my 6" Lumia in a few hours.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Huge and growing? Not good :p I got used to my 6" Lumia in a few hours.

I'm getting used to it now :)

I definitely need deeper pockets though !! - in more ways then one :o
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting used to it now :)

I definitely need deeper pockets though !! - in more ways then one :o

lol :D I've only just discovered that if you tap on the home button twice without pushing the button it brings the icons on your screen down so you can open them easier.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those with the 6plus how you finding the battery life on this ?
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    For those with the 6plus how you finding the battery life on this ?

Definitely better then the 5s at least. The standby time far better. But usage time not so much because the large screen really is a massive power drain. The screen extremely bright though so you can easily turn the brightness down quite a bit.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely better then the 5s at least. The standby time far better. But usage time not so much because the large screen really is a massive power drain. The screen extremely bright though so you can easily turn the brightness down quite a bit.

Did you try the Wave yet?
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Did you try the Wave yet?

Holy shit! People have actually been this stupid?!!!