Options

If you were the Strictly producer what changes would you make?

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    Personally I would much rather Strictly ditched the (usually) anti-climactic dance-off and broadcast the results show live later on Saturday evening (as in the past). If I were the producer, though, I wouldn't make that decision knowing how difficult it would be to replace the Sunday show with something that would get anything approaching the same number of viewers.

And bear in mind that the old Saturday results show got many fewer viewers than the main show. With the show on the Sunday, many more people are watching it now (which has to be a good thing).
  • Options
    Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny_Girl wrote: »
    So you are in charge of producing Strictly and have been told you can do anything you want to change it as long as you ballpark keep to the current budget. What would you do?

Just for starters:

1) Get rid of the silly cringeworthy VTs where they do some staged visit or activity.
    2) Use the time saved from the VTs to feature a different amateur ballroom club/dancing school each week and allow them to dance on the show. Maybe allow viewers to vote for their favourite on the final show.
    3) Get rid of Bruno - can't stand him. Replace him with a current or past pro dancer. I know I will get one flack for this but I think James or Ola ( or both) would be good.
    4) Replace Tess and Claudia as the main presenters - it's not working. Graham Norton would be so good.
    Fully agree with point 1 - I hate those VTs - I take it they are for the older generations who watch it??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandix wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly :D
    On top of that I'd sort out the wardrobe department, dressing up as superman or a crab or outfits that look as if they were bought off the peg in a cheap high street store do not cut it
    And going by last Monday's ITT "Behind the scenes" segment, it did look like Scott had been wearing some crab headgear which he quickly took off just before he went out onto the stairs at the start of the Saturday programme. perhaps the headgear (crab legs or antennae I think?) just would not stay on and he felt that it was hindering him?
  • Options
    The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    Agree with many of the points raised in this thread, especially regarding the dire VTs. Yes, I understand that they need to put something in that slot to allow time for scene changing, but how about some genuine training footage rather than phoney excursions?
    Secondly can we give the judges half marks on their paddles? As they mostly don't mark below 5 for fear of being nasty, the scoring is a bit of a blunt instrument. Half marks would double the options available to them and help sort the sheep from the goats.
  • Options
    zabezabe Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    I don't claim to be a dancer, just an interested viewer who wants the programme to continue and go from strength to strength unlike the X Factor where people are getting fed up with the "tired" format, the unnecessary gimmicks and the accusations of fixing and consequently are turning off in droves. IMO this is going to happen to SCD if the producers don't listen to the viewers and changes aren't made quickly.

1. Get rid of Tess and give her job to Bradley Walsh, Graham Norton, Anton Du Beck or any other quick witted male presenter capable of carrying a show of this calibre. I love Claudia, who interacts with judges, contestants and the public wonderfully well and doesn't take herself too seriously.

2. Stop the stupid training/activity VT's shown before each dance. They are pointless and look exactly what they are, false, staged and self promoting. Instead let the judges talk about the requirements of the dance and what they'll be looking out for, from the contestants. The same must be said of the stupid and pointless prancing of the judges at the beginning of the programme.......it sets the tone for the show and IMO it says cheap and tacky.

3. I actually like the judges, yes Bruno is OTT, yes Len is grumpy and sometimes Craig is cruel and Darcy sometimes tries to be too kind and positive.....but they are all dancers and know what they are talking about unlike the disaster that was Aleisha Dixon BUT I would remind Len Bruno and Darcy that there is a score below 5 and they should use it when necessary.

4. I don't think the public should be invited to vote till the 3rd or 4th week, which would allow the judges to get rid of the likes of Judy and Scott based on their ability and not on their ability to manipulate social media and call in favours from their celeb buddies.

Finally.....make a place for the likes of Karen Hardy, James Jordon, Vincent and Flavia. They are tried and trusted dancers with the skills to demonstrate, present and critique dances in a fun and informative way.
  • Options
    CranberryappleCranberryapple Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karis wrote: »
    I said this before and I'll say it again, if judges votes took priority over telephone voting all of the ridiculous popularity voting would totally be stopped. We would pretty much see the worst dancer go out every week - which is how it absolutely should be. it's a dance contest not a popularity contest

This. Absolutely.

Oh, and get rid of Tess and give the job to Graham Norton or Anton Du-Beke.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Fully agree with point 1 - I hate those VTs - I take it they are for the older generations who watch it??

this old feller thought they were for the little kiddies.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    Probably not a lot given that, if I were the producer, I'd have an obligation to maintain the show's current popularity.

Personally I would much rather Strictly ditched the (usually) anti-climactic dance-off and broadcast the results show live later on Saturday evening (as in the past). If I were the producer, though, I wouldn't make that decision knowing how difficult it would be to replace the Sunday show with something that would get anything approaching the same number of viewers.

More than any other statement on this thread you have hit the prime nail on the head imo.

For those that think Strictly is just a dance contest, it isn't. Its a modern age Saturday night entertainment blockbuster. Its there primarily to attract as many viewers as it possibly can and that means having the widest possible appeal. That's why the VT's are there-a bit of dance but also something related to family/friends/excursions/public etc which sections of the audience will enjoy (I will admit the Halloween episode goes completely over the top).
    Strictly has had a huge run of success following the comparable disaster in 2009 when X Factor was sweeping all before it. From 2010 onwards it gone from strength to strength, so what is being presented is clearly popular-and just to reiterate that's what its all about. Its a celebrity show in a celebrity age-its as much about the celebs popularity as dancing skill.
    So, if I was producer I would say leave well alone as much as possible (change for change sake rarely works anywhere imo), and that might be the best way given that trying to include all posters wishes on this thread would be physically impossible.
  • Options
    dippydancingdippydancing Posts: 9,428
    Forum Member
    Telcontar wrote: »
    Interesting thread, although I think Strictly is fine for the most part and needs just a few tweaks. Here's my two-pence worth...

1. Reduce the use of props.
    I'm not completely against the use of staging and props - a little theming can be good - it has to really add something to the dance though or be suggested through the music itself. For example, Patrick and Anya's Charleston last year NEEDED to feature Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, whilst the addition of the table and café theming to Sophie and Brendan's Charleston topped and tailed their routine well. Obviously the theme weeks lend themselves to using props but outside of this I'd really like to see them used more sparingly and only when appropriate (In other words they shouldn't be used as an excuse for faffing about!).

2. More appropriate/riskier music choices.
    Paso Dobles to the "Superman Theme" and "Simply The Best". Tangos to "Stop" and "Sing". So far this hasn't been a vintage year, music-wise and feels as if being recogniseable or popular is more important to song choice than suitability. Yet when a more traditional piece of music is used (Susanna and Kevin's Paso to "Los Toreadors"), or something less well known but that fits the theming ("Rock It For Me" in Sophie and Brendan's Charleston), the effect can be spectacular. Fewer 'safe' music selections please!

3. The Judges
    Ditch the dancing intro each week - it's just silly. No more guest judges (unless it's as a stand-in for one of the others). Not convinced the panel needs an overhaul, but it would be nice if we had more than one judge from a ballroom background. Pros like Karen Hardy and Anton are the obvious choices for replacments, but I don't think the BBC should be scared to pick unknowns either, so long as they have a suitable background and are TV-Friendly. Just steet clear of the Donny Osmonds and Jennifer Greys of this world and it'll be fine.

4. The Pros
    Think the male pros this year are a good group and each have different strengths. I do kind of miss James though - despite the attitude he was a good teacher and got the best out of some very average partners. I know Robin was injured but I wouldn't bring him back unless Anton leaves - I think they inhabit the same sort of role on the show. For the girls, I'm expecting this to be Ola's last year (like James, I think she's a good teacher so would be a bit of a shame). I'd also let Aliona and Karen go, so some new faces next year would be good (although I wouldn't mind if Anya was given another chance). I quite like the DWTS idea of partner switching for a week, if only because I think it'll show up who's a good teacher and who isn't...

5. Format Changes
    Stick to 7 men and 7 women - that extra dancer is one too many. Reduce the final to three couples from four (again, it can be a little crowded). For the first two weeks make everyone dance a waltz and cha-cha - it starts things off more equally and makes comparison easier. Don't bring in the non-ten dances (Charleston, Salsa etc) until week 5 or 6. In the event of leaderboard ties, make the judges re-rank the couples so no one goes into public voting with an equal score. Have an hour long ITT sometime after the final - the red button interviews with Zoe last year proved that it's needed.

I like these ideas. My only disagreement is with getting rid of Aliona and although Karen Hauer has a lovely positive attitude, her choreography doesn't seem actually to help her partners. And I feel it's still to soon to see how good for the show Trent is.
  • Options
    MontyDMontyD Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People suggesting scrap the phone vote is just ridiculous. It's an entertainment show that relies on public taking part. If you scrap that then you could see a fall in ratings.

Few things I would do though would be:

1. Take the X Factor out of Strictly. I think a lot of Strictly's success in recent times is that it is not the X Factor. The Judges bit at the beginning needs to go now.

2. The Results show needs to be live or at least recorded as live. I don't think it is edited well at all.

3. Never been to keen on the dance off but if your going to have it and say it's two votes each then it should go back to the public vote. Head Judge Len should not get the deciding vote.

4. No "comedy" VT. No guest judges. No theme weeks. Only use props if they enhance the dance.

5. Have 14 couples and start by half doing the same ballroom dance and other half same Latin dance. Plus couples should start doing 2 dances a show a lot earlier than they have been doing in recent series. Charleston's and Argentine Tango should be danced much latter in the series.

6. Replace Tess. She just not good enough. I personally think Alexander Armstrong would be a good host. But saying that it does not necessarily have to be a man it can be another woman just someone with talent and who isn't out of her depth.

7. Sorry for the long post
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MontyD wrote: »
    3. Never been to keen on the dance off but if your going to have it and say it's two votes each then it should go back to the public vote. Head Judge Len should not get the deciding vote.
    That would not be practical at all:

a) If the Results show was live, there would be little time available for a new vote (without screwing up BBC one's schedule and the production schedule (which would include allowing time for the audience to vacate the studio, pick up their belongings and exit Elstree, as well as the time for the crews to dismantle everything)

b) If the Results show was recorded .... well the problem is obvious!
  • Options
    MontyDMontyD Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    That would not be practical at all:

a) If the Results show was live, there would be little time available for a new vote (without screwing up BBC one's schedule and the production schedule (which would include allowing time for the audience to vacate the studio, pick up their belongings and exit Elstree, as well as the time for the crews to dismantle everything)

b) If the Results show was recorded .... well the problem is obvious!

No my point was don't have a new vote refer back to how the public voted on Saturday night after the main show.
  • Options
    AedinAedin Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    I've been thinking about who might do as a host - someone like Lee Mack or Rob Brydon? Sufficiently showbiz mainstream without being Bruce, able to handle the complexities of a live show and be quick on their feet.

I'm still holding out for Miranda Hart or Mel and Sue, but I suspect they won't allow another woman to do it if/when Tess gets the heave....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No my point was don't have a new vote refer back to how the public voted on Saturday night after the main show.
    Ah, I'm with you now (sorry about that :blush:)
  • Options
    Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...1. Take the X Factor out of Strictly. I think a lot of Strictly's success in recent times is that it is not the X Factor. The Judges bit at the beginning needs to go now.

Exactly, SCD is not the X-Factor

The Judges 'intro' is actaully more cringe-worthy than 'entertaining'.
    ...3. Never been to keen on the dance off but if your going to have it and say it's two votes each then it should go back to the public vote. Head Judge Len should not get the deciding vote.

Yes, that would also have the advantage that we wouldn't have see Len give his usually smirk when his role is announced.
    ...4. No "comedy" VT. No guest judges. No theme weeks. Only use props if they enhance the dance.

Probably the single most important point you have raised. Other than allowing time to clear the floor, the VT's have no value and certainly no entertainment value whatsoever. Absolutely awful, without fail, every week. Props - only if, as on rare occasions they can - enhance the dance.
    ...5. Have 14 couples and start by half doing the same ballroom dance and other half same Latin dance. Plus couples should start doing 2 dances a show a lot earlier than they have been doing in recent series. Charleston's and Argentine Tango should be danced much latter in the series.

Good idea to start the series and then have them swap so that everyone starts from a common baseline.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    One suggestion that I haven't seen yet would be to have the contestant at the top of the judges leader board perform their dance again on the results show. For draws, the judges could choose their top dancer. Call it "dance of the week", or "star dancer" (to steal from the Bake-Off).

This would enhance the results show, as at the moment I feel it has far too much filler, and (if all goes to plan) the only contestants dances are the two worst - so we the public have something to look forward to, and the better dancers have a chance to be a 'winner' each week and not just in the final show.
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancing with the Stars has Judges Choice reprise dance - which can be anything from top of the leaderboard to simply the one they found most entertaining.

Have to say, with 9 million vierwers for the results show last night, I don't think it's going anywhere.
  • Options
    sey77sey77 Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zabe wrote: »
    I don't claim to be a dancer, just an interested viewer who wants the programme to continue and go from strength to strength unlike the X Factor where people are getting fed up with the "tired" format, the unnecessary gimmicks and the accusations of fixing and consequently are turning off in droves. IMO this is going to happen to SCD if the producers don't listen to the viewers and changes aren't made quickly.

1. Get rid of Tess and give her job to Bradley Walsh, Graham Norton, Anton Du Beck or any other quick witted male presenter capable of carrying a show of this calibre. I love Claudia, who interacts with judges, contestants and the public wonderfully well and doesn't take herself too seriously.

2. Stop the stupid training/activity VT's shown before each dance. They are pointless and look exactly what they are, false, staged and self promoting. Instead let the judges talk about the requirements of the dance and what they'll be looking out for, from the contestants. The same must be said of the stupid and pointless prancing of the judges at the beginning of the programme.......it sets the tone for the show and IMO it says cheap and tacky.

3. I actually like the judges, yes Bruno is OTT, yes Len is grumpy and sometimes Craig is cruel and Darcy sometimes tries to be too kind and positive.....but they are all dancers and know what they are talking about unlike the disaster that was Aleisha Dixon BUT I would remind Len Bruno and Darcy that there is a score below 5 and they should use it when necessary.

4. I don't think the public should be invited to vote till the 3rd or 4th week, which would allow the judges to get rid of the likes of Judy and Scott based on their ability and not on their ability to manipulate social media and call in favours from their celeb buddies.

Finally.....make a place for the likes of Karen Hardy, James Jordon, Vincent and Flavia. They are tried and trusted dancers with the skills to demonstrate, present and critique dances in a fun and informative way.

With the exception of Karen Hardy, I can't stand the other three and was more than happy when they all left.
  • Options
    allaboardallaboard Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naked dancing week!
  • Options
    Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please may I add the following suggestion which I forgot to add to my previous list?

No fawning over the celebrities by the judges, however much they may fancy them.
  • Options
    MayDMayD Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allaboard wrote: »
    Naked dancing week!

Bubbles de Vere :o
  • Options
    MayDMayD Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sey77 wrote: »
    With the exception of Karen Hardy, I can't stand the other three and was more than happy when they all left.

Hardy is awful imo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    1) Let pros choose music and ensure it's the correct music for the correct dance.
    2) If the judges must dance, make them do it properly! In fact, maybe it should be a requirement for each judge to demonstrate a dance every week to show they now what they're talking about....
    3) No more stupid training VTs, and stop the completely unnecessary "coming up next" bits
  • Options
    katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mirandaweb wrote: »
    1) Ditch the 'sob stories' aspect of the VTs - the family members, the loving dog who watches the TV and barks in time to the music, all that rubbish. Just show the Celeb and the Pro interacting with each other.

2) Let the Pro (with input from the Celeb) choose the music and do the choreography - with help available if they need it for the dances they aren't experienced in.

3) DO NOT FORCE THEMES OR PROPS ON CONTESTANTS - If you want a theme, set it for the week and let THEM decide how to work with that.

4) Stop trying to manipulate the votes by telling the judges how to vote (I am almost certain that this is currently the case.)

Then I'd sit on my hands and let the people who know what to do (the pros, the dancers, the designers, the editors, etc.) do their jobs without me messing it up by interfering.

I agree with pretty much all of this
  • Options
    katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Telcontar wrote: »
    Interesting thread, although I think Strictly is fine for the most part and needs just a few tweaks. Here's my two-pence worth...

1. Reduce the use of props.
    I'm not completely against the use of staging and props - a little theming can be good - it has to really add something to the dance though or be suggested through the music itself. For example, Patrick and Anya's Charleston last year NEEDED to feature Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, whilst the addition of the table and café theming to Sophie and Brendan's Charleston topped and tailed their routine well. Obviously the theme weeks lend themselves to using props but outside of this I'd really like to see them used more sparingly and only when appropriate (In other words they shouldn't be used as an excuse for faffing about!).

2. More appropriate/riskier music choices.
    Paso Dobles to the "Superman Theme" and "Simply The Best". Tangos to "Stop" and "Sing". So far this hasn't been a vintage year, music-wise and feels as if being recogniseable or popular is more important to song choice than suitability. Yet when a more traditional piece of music is used (Susanna and Kevin's Paso to "Los Toreadors"), or something less well known but that fits the theming ("Rock It For Me" in Sophie and Brendan's Charleston), the effect can be spectacular. Fewer 'safe' music selections please!

3. The Judges
    Ditch the dancing intro each week - it's just silly. No more guest judges (unless it's as a stand-in for one of the others). Not convinced the panel needs an overhaul, but it would be nice if we had more than one judge from a ballroom background. Pros like Karen Hardy and Anton are the obvious choices for replacments, but I don't think the BBC should be scared to pick unknowns either, so long as they have a suitable background and are TV-Friendly. Just steet clear of the Donny Osmonds and Jennifer Greys of this world and it'll be fine.

4. The Pros
    Think the male pros this year are a good group and each have different strengths. I do kind of miss James though - despite the attitude he was a good teacher and got the best out of some very average partners. I know Robin was injured but I wouldn't bring him back unless Anton leaves - I think they inhabit the same sort of role on the show. For the girls, I'm expecting this to be Ola's last year (like James, I think she's a good teacher so would be a bit of a shame). I'd also let Aliona and Karen go, so some new faces next year would be good (although I wouldn't mind if Anya was given another chance). I quite like the DWTS idea of partner switching for a week, if only because I think it'll show up who's a good teacher and who isn't...

5. Format Changes
    Stick to 7 men and 7 women - that extra dancer is one too many. Reduce the final to three couples from four (again, it can be a little crowded). For the first two weeks make everyone dance a waltz and cha-cha - it starts things off more equally and makes comparison easier. Don't bring in the non-ten dances (Charleston, Salsa etc) until week 5 or 6. In the event of leaderboard ties, make the judges re-rank the couples so no one goes into public voting with an equal score. Have an hour long ITT sometime after the final - the red button interviews with Zoe last year proved that it's needed.

Agree with much of this- I'd probably retain Karen and possibly Ailona too but the rest I think are spot on.