I know we are a nation of pet lovers but ......

Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
Forum Member
✭✭✭
....... do we sometimes take it to far??!

Every year I get a birthday card and present present from my mums dog - card tells me that the dog sends lots of licks and tail wags!!!

Today one of my friends was sent a Mothers Day card from their 2 dogs ( although handwriting looked suspiciously like her husbands).

Our cats are a much cherished part of our family but I think both of the above are a step too far.

Am I alone in this?

Comments

• itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's way over the top.

I have a dog, and its just a dog, don't do anything like that.

Maybe its a woman thing.

Although the dog might appear in family photos as it is part of the family to me.
  • NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find most animals quite disgusting.

I will never understand people who french kiss their dogs (or whatever that grotesque act of affection 'twixt owner and beast is supposed to be). Slobbering, shitting and stinking pets turn my stomach. I respect animals but having them in my home - no thank you.

So as for OP's question regarding toothless simpletons who treat their pets as if equally sentient and sentimental beings - these people are amongst the most intolerable within society; alongside Tolkien fanatics and Tory voters.
  • itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I will never understand people who french kiss their dogs (or whatever that grotesque act of affection 'twixt owner and beast is supposed to be). Slobbering, shitting and stinking pets turn my stomach. I respect animals but having them in my home - no thank you.

So as for OP's question regarding toothless simpletons who treat their pets as if equally sentient and sentimental beings - these people are amongst the most intolerable within society; alongside Tolkien fanatics and Tory voters.

Obviously you are not British.
  • AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What a lovely person.
  • EvieJEvieJ Posts: 5,958
    Forum Member

Really?
  • zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member

Ouch:o while some go overboard there is nothing wrong with loving your pets and caring about animals.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess they are substitute family for many, but y yeah a little bit much maybe, if you are not a dog lover yourself lol
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

Sounds like someone once tried the old "It's me or the dog" ultimatum with a partner ... and the dog won! :D
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Our spaniel, Connie, has a birthday today.

We've got her a card and a pack of cocktail-sausages which she'll have for her dinner tonight and my niece has bought her a couple of cheap toys which are wrapped up, for her to unwrap herself.

I doubt that pets understand the exact significance of it all but they certainly do understand that it's a "special day" and they seem to enjoy the fuss.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a lovely person.
    But look how much attention he's getting:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like someone once tried the old "It's me or the dog" ultimatum with a partner ... and the dog won! :D
    Not quite. In that situation I wouldn't even give the ultimatum - I would just walk.

Without the hyperbole:
    - I don't like the idea of being close to, or 'kissing' animals whatsoever;
    - I find most pet smells/odours really disagreeable;
    - The people who try to assign animals human characteristics or otherwise frankly creep me out.

Like I said in my first post - I respect animals, I just don't want one. OP asked, I answered.
    Forum Member
    Not quite. In that situation I wouldn't even give the ultimatum - I would just walk.

Anybody who already had a pet would happily let you.

Win/win. :)
  • EvieJEvieJ Posts: 5,958
    Forum Member

Without the hyperbole:
    - The people who try to assign animals human characteristics or otherwise frankly creep me out.

Like I said in my first post - I respect animals, I just don't want one. OP asked, I answered.

No empathy? For pets or humans it seems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Anybody who already had a pet would happily let you.

Win/win. :)
    Why the ad hominem just because I don't like pets?
  • AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Without the hyperbole:

You just need to be locked in a room with dozens of kitty cats until they win you round, I think it's called immersion therapy.
    Forum Member
    Why the ad hominem just because I don't like pets?

Given that you're expressing a personal opinion, what other kind of response is possible?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that you're expressing a personal opinion, what other kind of response is possible?
    Makes no sense at all. Plenty of other ways to respond.

Is it worth repeating for the third time that I respect animals, just don't want one in my quarters - or is merely disliking the idea of having pets now up there with paedophilia and human trafficking in terms of levels of offence?
    Forum Member
    Makes no sense at all. Plenty of other ways to respond.

Is it worth repeating for the third time that I respect animals, just don't want one in my quarters - or is merely disliking the idea of having pets now up there with paedophilia and human trafficking in terms of levels of offence?

Nah, it's not worth repeating.

Personally, it was the parts where you referred to animals as disgusting and their owners as toothless simpletons that I found offensive.

Not offensive enough to bleat about "ad hom" attacks, mind you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, it's not worth repeating.

Personally, it was the parts where you referred to animals as disgusting and their owners as toothless simpletons that I found offensive.

Not offensive enough to bleat about "ad hom" attacks, mind you.
    In close quarters, I do find animals disgusting. And I didn't call all owners 'toothless simpletons' - I was referring to people who take the sentimentality too far. Please read all posts carefully.

And since I didn't single out anyone on this thread directly, hence my 'bleating' of ad hominem when it was done to me.

I suspect that you may send your neighbours Christmas cards 'from' your dog. Am I correct? ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our spaniel, Connie, has a birthday today.

We've got her a card and a pack of cocktail-sausages which she'll have for her dinner tonight and my niece has bought her a couple of cheap toys which are wrapped up, for her to unwrap herself.

I doubt that pets understand the exact significance of it all but they certainly do understand that it's a "special day" and they seem to enjoy the fuss.

I'm completely with you on this. My dog Ted is part of the family. Nothing wrong with spoiling our pets.
  • BirdyBeeBirdyBee Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Slobbering, shitting and stinking? Same as the human animal then. I presume you feel the same way about kids. Or any adult who isn't able to hide their bodily functions in a suitable and discreet manner.

Back to the subject of cards; I think buying cards from or to your pets is just a bit of fun. I have never received a card from my dog. I think I would quite like it. It doesn't mean I believe him capable of writing a card!

Do you consider those who treat a pet as equally sentient worse than those who ill treat an animal? Lots of people love their pets and enjoy their company and appreciate how smart they can be. It's a shame you can't see that. There is nothing weird or disgusting about animals. They are just a different species.

I just think you are missing out, that's all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BirdyBee wrote: »
    Slobbering, shitting and stinking? Same as the human animal then. I presume you feel the same way about kids. Or any adult who isn't able to hide their bodily functions in a suitable and discreet manner.

Back to the subject of cards; I think buying cards from or to your pets is just a bit of fun. I have never received a card from my dog. I think I would quite like it. It doesn't mean I believe him capable of writing a card!

Do you consider those who treat a pet as equally sentient worse than those who ill treat an animal? Lots of people love their pets and enjoy their company and appreciate how smart they can be. It's a shame you can't see that. There is nothing weird or disgusting about animals. They are just a different species.

I just think you are missing out, that's all.
    Your presumptions as emboldened above are unnecessary. Just because you don't agree with me, there is no need to put words in my mouth.

You like animals, I don't. Simple as that.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    At Christmas time we gets the dogs an extra big bone because we are away all day and away Boxing Day too, plus we gets the cats some actually fish for Christmas But that's about as far as it goes.

No cards or anything weird like that.
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member

So people who like animals, fantasy novels or vote Tory are as intolerable as peadophiles and murderers ?

Do you live in Raqqa ?
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    My mate's dog Sweep has its own Facebook page. I must confess to checking it out and even "liking" some of the dog's antics from time to time. :blush: