Angela Eagle

Susie_SmithSusie_Smith Posts: 7,532
Forum Member
Well I did not have much opinion of this Angela Eagle lady apart from the fact she looks like Brienne of Tarth.

But she's been in the news quite a lot these past few days, and as far as I can tell is a serial liar.

First of all, she told everyone a brick had been thrown through her constituency office window, probably by a Corbyn supporter (dangerous left-wing thug) and she was concerned for the safety of her staff.

It turns out that brick was thrown through the window in the hallway - NOT her office at all - and she shares that building with six other organisations. So it was probably an attempted burglary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppnKHmuVA1s

Then she said the hotel where her press meeting was to be held had received threats so it had to be cancelled. The hotel did not even know what the event was and who was going to be there, they cancelled for other reasons, so it seems clear they did not receive distressing phone calls threatening them or Eagle.

Finally, she claimed to have been the recipient of abuse at a meeting she did not even attend.

I do get the impression she cannot help but lie to try and help her political position.

Comments

• JavedJaved Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    Hehe loving the Brienne of Tarth reference :D I hadn't noticed it before but now I shall remember it every time I see Angela E!

We've lost GoT for a while (sob) but by God, it's been replaced by real life drama! :D:D
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First of all, she told everyone a brick had been thrown through her constituency office window, probably by a Corbyn supporter (dangerous left-wing thug) and she was concerned for the safety of her staff.

It turns out that brick was thrown through the window in the hallway - NOT her office at all - and she shares that building with six other organisations. So it was probably an attempted burglary.

Did you just assume that when they referred to her constituency office that meant a small room with a desk in it that she sat at, rather than an office building? Just for the record do you find the fact that other people could have been hurt makes it more or less okay?
    Then she said the hotel where her press meeting was to be held had received threats so it had to be cancelled. The hotel did not even know what the event was and who was going to be there, they cancelled for other reasons, so it seems clear they did not receive distressing phone calls threatening them or Eagle.

I don't think so. One of her staff said that was the case one of the hotels staff said it wasn't. I can't find any links of Angela commenting on it and I'm fairly sure the hotel declined to comment being a building, so I struggle to see where the truth of this one lies.
    Finally, she claimed to have been the recipient of abuse at a meeting she did not even attend.
    Are you Tessa Jowell? She claimed this week that Angela had been subject to abuse at a meeting. People (possibly including those giving the abuse) claimed it didn't happen. Not sure how you worked out Angela was the liar though unless you were there when she spoke to Tessa

I do get the impression she cannot help but lie to try and help her political position.

It's terrible when people make shit up to suit their agendas. Good job we're beyond that :D

Other than that, I'd agree with you on Brienne of Tarth if only for the fact that she'll outlive the high sparrow
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there some evidence to back up the claim that Angela Eagle personally made a false statement?

A claim was made that a window was broken. Who made that claim? Was the claim reported accurately?

As regards the hotel. The OP does not know why the meeting was cancelled.
    Corbyn certainly has some interesting supporters.
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »

Other than that, I'd agree with you on Brienne of Tarth if only for the fact that she'll outlive the high sparrow

Haha! Is Corbyn the High Sparrow?! I can see it now actually, I can just imagine him in that robe :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Javed wrote: »
    Haha! Is Corbyn the High Sparrow?! I can see it now actually, I can just imagine him in that robe :D:D

Well one of them was a man out of touch with reality, hero of the downtrodden, waffling on about obsolete ideas, surrounded with cultish thugs; opposed to the monarchy, pursuing a Utopian dream oblivious to the gathering opposition and doomed to fail taking down those around him

and then the other is...
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio 4's Dead Ringers from yesterday is worth a listen (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07k0k56). They have a brilliant take on her habit of arranging press conferences just as major news is breaking elsewhere. It's been such a crazy few week in politics it's hard for the comedians and satirists to keep up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Radio 4's Dead Ringers from yesterday is worth a listen (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07k0k56). They have a brilliant take on her habit of arranging press conferences just as major news is breaking elsewhere. It's been such a crazy few week in politics it's hard for the comedians and satirists to keep up.

Hmm, I've said much the same in another thread
    Angela Eagle had a "lead role" in this week's Dead Ringers. If you haven't heard it I'd recommend it, as much to the Corbynistas as to the Corbynskeptics

But kind of worrying for Angela if she becomes better known for DR taking the p out of her than for her actual campaign :D
  • James_B1James_B1 Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Well one of them was a man out of touch with reality, hero of the downtrodden, waffling on about obsolete ideas, surrounded with cultish thugs; opposed to the monarchy, pursuing a Utopian dream oblivious to the gathering opposition and doomed to fail taking down those around him

and then the other is...

Someone who can't answer a straight question with a straight answer and defaults to talking about she's a Northern working-class girl whose mum was a seamstress, her dad was a printer regardless of whether it has any irrelevance. When someone asked asked her on the Today programme why she voted for the Iraq war, she said: "I'm a Northern working-class girl who understands the nuances of modern life." Whatever that's supposed to mean...

A person who becomes extremely aggressive when anyone has the temerity to ask her slightly difficult questions and raise issues about her voting record.

An individual who's so incompetent that literally everything goes wrong for her on a grand scale - catastrophic campaign launch, one terrible interview after another, disastrous social media outreach...the list is endless with regards to her ineptness.
    Forum Member

and then the other is...

Hahahahaha! Post of the day! :D:D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James_B1 wrote: »
    Someone who can't answer a straight question with a straight answer and defaults to talking about she's a Northern working-class girl whose mum was a seamstress, her dad was a printer regardless of whether it has any irrelevance. When someone asked asked her on the Today programme why she voted for the Iraq war, she said: "I'm a Northern working-class girl who understands the nuances of modern life." Whatever that's supposed to mean...

A person who becomes extremely aggressive when anyone has the temerity to ask her slightly difficult questions and raise issues about her voting record.

An individual who's so incompetent that literally everything goes wrong for her on a grand scale - catastrophic campaign launch, one terrible interview after another, disastrous social media outreach...the list is endless with regards to her ineptness.

Doesn't sound like the high sparrow or Jerry Corbyn to me?:confused:
    Forum Member

You've completely misread the mood of this thread, bit like Angus Robertson at Cameron's final PMQ. Even Corbyn managed to crack a joke then :D
    Forum Member
    Doesn't sound like the high sparrow or Jerry Corbyn to me?:confused:

Yes which of them is the Northern working class lass??? :confused::D
    Forum Member

But kind of worrying for Angela if she becomes better known for DR taking the p out of her than for her actual campaign :D

Yes lol. It reminds me of Roy Hattersley and HIGNFY :D
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Has she got her act together to submit her nomination, or is she still trying to get support.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes which of them is the Northern working class lass??? :confused::D

Well working class would rule out Jerry, I know the High Sparrow had a backstory but I thought he was more of a Bullington club boy before he saw the light :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah, sorry I didn't see that one. I'm not always a fan of Dead Ringers - I much prefer The Now Show - but they are spoiled for choice at the moment and I do love what they've done to Gove, turning him into an office gossip-monger.
    Forum Member
    Ah, sorry I didn't see that one. I'm not always a fan of Dead Ringers - I much prefer The Now Show - but they are spoiled for choice at the moment and I do love what they've done to Gove, turning him into an office gossip-monger.

Was that on at lunchtime today? I heard him ringing up the Queen and suggesting Theresa was no good for PM and suggesting himself instead. It was hilarious:D

They also did a brilliant Diane Abbott :D
    Forum Member
    Well working class would rule out Jerry, I know the High Sparrow had a backstory but I thought he was more of a Bullington club boy before he saw the light :D

Osborne's future! He does have a very lean look nowadays, he is turning into an ascete :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No worries I was just struck by the coincidence of your post and the implication that it seemed to be Angela's most successful media appearance of the week (given two of us actually heard it.) :D

I'd agree Dead Ringers is probably my least favourite of the Friday night set, but this week was cracking. It's probably wrong however to hope the politicians keep generating so much good material for them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Osborne's future! He does have a very lean look nowadays, he is turning into an ascete :D

Christ I can really see that. I'm going to have nightmares now :D
    The Andrew Neil / Dianne Abbot bit was priceless - hard to remember that it wasn't the real thing.

I might go and give the whole episode another listen
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was that on at lunchtime today? I heard him ringing up the Queen and suggesting Theresa was no good for PM and suggesting himself instead. It was hilarious:D

Not sure when it is broadcast as I just automatically get the podcast onto my phone but yes, that's the one.

"I've just been to Buckingham Palace where Her Majesty the Queen has asked me to form a new government and Prince Philip asked me to make him a cup of tea."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah yes, the typical story of the Northern working class girl who gets into Oxford to do a PPE and then spends the next 30 years not doing any proper jobs.
    Forum Member
    Christ I can really see that. I'm going to have nightmares now :D

The Andrew Neil / Dianne Abbot bit was priceless - hard to remember that it wasn't the real thing.

I might go and give the whole episode another listen

It sounded just like her, that's just how she speaks :D