Regeneration issue just got complex!

JCRJCR Posts: 24,060
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So does he have 2 left, 497 left, or whatever River had left, left?

(I realize Time Lords are magic and it doesn't matter, but good luck to anyone trying to work this out.) :p

Comments

• Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    I'm more shocked that Time Lords bodies can age example Mels growing from a child to an adult.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Does this mean he could come back as Alex Kingston?:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was about to post the same thing!

One point - could it be that The Doctor in SJA was actually an older version, post - LKH, and due to the events of the episode his number of regenerations has increased?
  • tecstartecstar Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very good point. The regeneration issue is bound to start being addressed as we move on through Matt Smiths era.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    I think its pretty fair to say now that the Doctor can have as many generations now as he wants, though I hope the next Doctor doesn't have ginger hair!:D
  • thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joanne1938 wrote: »
    I think its pretty fair to say now that the Doctor can have as many generations now as he wants, though I hope the next Doctor doesn't have ginger hair!:D

He always could - its a sci-fi programme, people can come back from the dead, turn into a rabbit, grow additional limbs. Its a MADE UP SHOW - they can do what they want and explain it or not as they see fit. The master has been knocking around past his "last" regeneration for over 30 years. I struggle to see way anyone needs to see something that allows the produces to break the (supposed) rules...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    It's easy to invent ways to get around the regeneration limit, so it doesn't really matter. The Master has used up all 12 numerous times and he's still knocking around somewhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    I'm more shocked that Time Lords bodies can age example Mels growing from a child to an adult.

Bear in mind that a) Melody isn't exactly a normal Timelord and b) she claimed to be able to control her aging while checking out her Alex Kingston body...

As for regenerations becoming complex, frankly that's been the case since Christmas Invasion where the Doctor grew a new hand. Or Journey's End and handy... This struck me more as Moffat taking the ideas RTD introduced and cranking them up a bit, while also tidying up a potential loose end regarding River regenerating in the Library (though to be fair he actually addressed that in episode when she told Ten he wouldn't regenerate if he did the transfer).
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, it's always been a bit iffy. The 12 regenerations always seemed like a limit the Time Lords imposed on themselves. We know they can dish out new regenerations, cos they offered the Master just that in The Five Doc's. And both the Valeyard and the Master both planned to steal the Doc's remaining regenerations (although how that would work with the Valeyard is a whole different kettle of Fish, given that he'd technically be stealing them from himself!)

And as for Melody/River, who knows how many regenerations she would have had? Less, cos she was only partially Time-Lord; More, cos she was conceived in the Tardis?

So yeah. It's never really been black and white. And nothing's really changed.:D
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    To be honest, it's always been a bit iffy. The 12 regenerations always seemed like a limit the Time Lords imposed on themselves. We know they can dish out new regenerations, cos they offered the Master just that in The Five Doc's. And both the Valeyard and the Master both planned to steal the Doc's remaining regenerations (although how that would work with the Valeyard is a whole different kettle of Fish, given that he'd technically be stealing them from himself!)

And as for Melody/River, who knows how many regenerations she would have had? Less, cos she was only partially Time-Lord; More, cos she was conceived in the Tardis?

So yeah. It's never really been black and white. And nothing's really changed.:D

Don't forget Romana and her closet Regeneration, just changing her body on a whim, haha, see folks, it's never been simple.
  • thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silverk29 wrote: »
    It's easy to invent ways to get around the regeneration limit, so it doesn't really matter. The Master has used up all 12 numerous times and he's still knocking around somewhere.

Exactly - so why speculate - it can be done any number of ways, yet many seem to want to see something that "allows" the programme to break the "rules" as if it is factual.

Personally, I would love it if on his 14th regeneration he just sits up having changed and says "blimey, I wasn't expecting that" and just carry on as if nothing major has happened. What we don't need is a long exposition about what made it possible...
  • steven87gillsteven87gill Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scorpio2 wrote: »

Here's my take, If a Time Lord becomes a toddler when they regenerate, they may well age until they reach physical maturity then they'd presumably just sort of, stop ageing. But if they regenerate into a mature adult straight away, then no, they wont age.

But in their first life time lords age, and even if they make it through their whole life without getting killed, then their old age will kick start a regeneration anyway. (1st Doctor)
  • DS9DS9 Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    I was about to post the same thing!

One point - could it be that The Doctor in SJA was actually an older version, post - LKH, and due to the events of the episode his number of regenerations has increased?

In Sarah Jane Adventures the Doctor said Amy & Rory were on their honeymoon on that honey moon he mentioned at the end of A Christmas Carol.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    On a slightly different point - How did River Song regenerate into a child. Surely she did it on purpose to be there with her parents. I thought it was just random luck to how they turned out?
  • DS9DS9 Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    On a slightly different point - How did River Song regenerate into a child. Surely she did it on purpose to be there with her parents. I thought it was just random luck to how they turned out?

Romana could control her regenerations. And the Master seemed to control his when he made himself "young and strong again" in Utopia. The Doctor just seems to be a bit of a rubbish Time Lord... can't fly a TARDIS properly, can't regenerate properly. That's my opinion anyway.
  • jodojodo Posts: 279
    Forum Member

If she was referring to the regeneration in episode 2 then she went from a child to a toddler according to the dialogue! At least that's my understanding.
  • alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We don't know how long River's brain-washing took - she may have been a child when 'released'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS9 wrote: »
    Romana could control her regenerations. And the Master seemed to control his when he made himself "young and strong again" in Utopia. The Doctor just seems to be a bit of a rubbish Time Lord... can't fly a TARDIS properly, can't regenerate properly. That's my opinion anyway.

Or, to put another spin on it, the Doctor just doesn't WANT to plan ahead that far and just takes his chances. Fits with the rest of his character, more than happy to let the winds of fate push him from one place to the next, usually prefers relying on the ol' Indy Ploy rather than actual plans...

Oh, and on the TARDIS thing, t's been established she really takes him where SHE wants, the fact he can fly her at all considering it's meant to take six people is a minor miracle and he clearly does know how to fly her properly considering Journey's End.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DS9 wrote: »
    In Sarah Jane Adventures the Doctor said Amy & Rory were on their honeymoon on that honey moon he mentioned at the end of A Christmas Carol.

Rule 1....:p

It was just an idea. There's always the possibility of some timey-wimeyness going on.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

TIME LINES!!

river did not regen into MELchild ..... the whoe thing is like a PARADOX, since we see BOTH river song's onscreen at the same time, but NOT in the same time line for each of them!!

CONFUSED??? :D
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she claimed to be able to control her aging while checking out her Alex Kingston body...

I loved that bit, the excuse why in "her future" she would look younger
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alphonsus wrote: »
    We don't know how long River's brain-washing took - she may have been a child when 'released'.

Exactly, she said something along the lines of 'the last time I regenerated I was a child', so she regenerated into a young Mels as a child. Keep up, people. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    So a Time Lord/Time Lady/Genetic-descendant-of-Gallifrey-and/or-it's-technology can use up regenerations to heal a near-dead Time Lord/Time Lady/You-get-the-point? Interesting.

The 15-hour rule with regeneration can help you survive bullets? Intriguing!

As for regenerating into a child, the last person we saw regenerating WAS a child. Child-to-child regenerating? Or maybe regenerating can make you younger. May explain why Yana/The Master recalled being found as a child (unless that was part of his cover).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rule 1....:p

It was just an idea. There's always the possibility of some timey-wimeyness going on.

Or The Ponds decided being on a space-train thats about to crash isn't exactly the nicest honeymoon to have ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry to sound a bit like a stuck record tonight but the wave of regeneration energy that shot out from Melody when surrounded by the Nazi Officers was so, so reminiscent of the same energy wave emitted by Donna when she was being approached by the Master in EoT2...

... Donna can regenerate, I'm telling you :eek:;)