Stranger Things

Comments

• HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I binged watched the whole thing, and thank you OP for the heads up. Really enjoyed it. :)
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Amazing show, absolutely loved it!

I have one episode left but its been brilliant in so many ways, right up there with Sense8 for the best Netflix has done. In fact probably better than Sense8, didn't see that as likely a year ago. :)
  • Simon_Smith3Simon_Smith3 Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Best thing since Breaking Bad. It was so hard not to binge watch, but I had to watch the last two episodes back to back. The girl who played Eleven has a glittering career ahead of her.
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best thing since Breaking Bad. It was so hard not to binge watch, but I had to watch the last two episodes back to back. The girl who played Eleven has a glittering career ahead of her.
    I agree, even with little in the way of dialogue, it was all about her facial expressions and she nailed it.
  • MR_PitkinMR_Pitkin Posts: 30,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I don't get is why they killed the owner of the diner in episode 1. Why not just drug/arrest him like they did with everyone else they encountered?
  • Bagshot85Bagshot85 Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    Just finished this. I hope there's a second series....
    judging by what came out of Will's mouth.I hope so.
    The actors were all amazing, especially the kids.
    My heart broke for Eleven, she deserved a loving family :cry::cry:
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Omg...so sad this is over. One of those shows you wish you could wipe your mind and replay it from start again.

All the characters were likeable. The vibe was great. The music great.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    seellee wrote: »
    Halfway through and I'm really enjoying this. Very retro and the cast are superb. Very much reminds me of super 8 but better and creepier.

Yes. Another top quality Netflix show. Slow burn start, but building very nicely at the halfway point.
  • kattkatt Posts: 10,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    binge watched this at the weekend after finding it on Netflix

very enjoyable
  • field_442field_442 Posts: 2,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finished watching this last night. I wasn't completely sold on it after the first couple of episodes but from episode 3 onwards we couldn't stop ourselves from binge watching it. I look forward to the next series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, so
    shooting it, trapping it in a bear trap and setting it on fire couldn't stop it, but a catapulted stone to the eye can pin it to the blackboard??

Also, all these 'portals' that appeared, in the woods in the house, was it ever explained how these were created. I thought Eleven only created the tear in the fabric of our world, in the laboratory?

And what was the connection to electricity, was that ever explained?
  • Bagshot85Bagshot85 Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    MR_Pitkin wrote: »
    OK, so
    shooting it, trapping it in a bear trap and setting it on fire couldn't stop it, but a catapulted stone to the eye can pin it to the blackboard??

Also, all these 'portals' that appeared, in the woods in the house, was it ever explained how these were created. I thought Eleven only created the tear in the fabric of our world, in the laboratory?

I think it was because the stone hit it right in the center of its mouth thingy
  • spangspang Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, so

I thought Eleven did it. She either forced the creature against the wall as the stone was fired, or she put her power into the stone and that pushed it. After it was flung to the blackboard the creature stayed pinned there and didn't fall forward, so she was obviously continuing to hold it there.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that it was quite obvious that:
    Eleven did it, not the catapult. The boys initially and briefly thought - with much surprise - that the catapult did it, only for it to quickly be revealed that Eleven did it, and she then followed it up by pinning it there and finishing it off.

Watch the scene again.

Other question:
    Eleven created the Gate in the lab, which allowed the Monster through initially.

*But*, once that Gate between worlds had been created, the Monster clearly had the ability to pass back and forth in other places, not just via the Gate. We saw it make its own temporary tears between worlds.
  • enigmatic2enigmatic2 Posts: 1,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the negative opinions are in the minority with this series. It's been a huge hit for Netflix and I think it's one of the best shows they've ever produced. Just finished it last night and wow, what a final episode. Absolutely phenomenal on so many levels.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really enjoyable hokum. They got the 80's feel spot on.

I agree about the lass playing Eleven. She was terrific. Heck, the whole young cast did a great job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    I thought that it was quite obvious that:
    Eleven did it, not the catapult. The boys initially and briefly thought - with much surprise - that the catapult did it, only for it to quickly be revealed that Eleven did it, and she then followed it up by pinning it there and finishing it off.

Watch the scene again.

Other question:
    Eleven created the Gate in the lab, which allowed the Monster through initially.

*But*, once that Gate between worlds had been created, the Monster clearly had the ability to pass back and forth in other places, not just via the Gate. We saw it make its own temporary tears between worlds.

And the connection to electricity?
  • gothergother Posts: 14,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Doesn't electricity act odd anyway with any paranormal activity, maybe on the otherside or upside down as it was called the when Will communicates with his mother the frequency is similar to electricity on our world?
  • ScooterwolfScooterwolf Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great series, lots of nods to 80's films.

Fingers-crossed there will be a second series, the cast were all very solid - impressed with Winona Ryder.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Great series, lots of nods to 80's films.

Fingers-crossed there will be a second series, the cast were all very solid - impressed with Winona Ryder.

Fantastic show. Loved it all, and hope there will be a second series.

As for the person who did not understand how the creature was pinned, that wasn't because of what you thought. Who else was in the room?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The science teacher told the kids that any Gate to another dimension would disrupt the electromagnetic field, which is how Lucas later found it - it affected magnets.

So, with that tear in space-time now connecting the two dimensions, a tear that affects the electromagnetic field, why shouldn't the presence of someone in the "Upside Down" have an effect on electrical items in the equivalent location in our dimension?

It fits with the world of the series. There's no need to spell it out.
  • manlovemanlove Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    A brilliant show from start to finish. Top drawer acting; notably Winona (so great to see her getting her teeth into something again) and the design; soundtrack and direction so loving referenced the very best of early 80's paranormal / sci-fi etc.

I really hope there's more 'Stranger Things' to come.
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    One thing I don't get is why they killed the owner of the diner in episode 1. Why not just drug/arrest him like they did with everyone else they encountered?

Very sad, I agree but symptomatic of how Hollywood and the media in general use men to feed the perceived need for entertainment violence. That woud never have happened to a female character, especially such a kind sympathetic one. For every woman you see killed violently you will see at least a hundred men.
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im currently up to Ep 6 And as everyone else ,Im loving it,quite creepy in places and the acting is excellent,feel sorry for Eleven though ,wonder what her story is?
    Fun spotting the in jokes/refs to 80s movie too. Up there with 22 11 63 for best series of the year so far.
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    We binge watched it over one day not getting to bed till gone 1am.
    Loved it but big mistake.
    Firstly we should have spread it out over at least a few nights to enjoy the anticipation and secondly couldn't get to sleep after it for running over it in my mind.
    Brilliant show and can't recommend it enough.