Options

Solid Gold GEM. Am closing down on Sunday!!

Comments

• Options
    Artie FischalArtie Fischal Posts: 1,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I can deduce (and will somebody put me right if I'm wrong)? While Len Groat is in charge of collecting donations, Andy M seems to have been the one who has decided to call it a day.
    If his word is final then I can only assume without Andy there is no Solid Gold Gem AM. Maybe he has, finally, been offered a job that pays. He's a top DJ, imo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    It is sad that Solid Gold GEM AM is closing, but it was a hobby, done for love and some have worked very hard in keeping it going and making sound so good.

I was proud to have done my bit and having recorded my last shows earlier this week it is goodbye to an attempt to buck the trend.
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Trent Sound had finished already?

Thanks, I was not aware of that - looking at their Facebook page there does seem to have been some changes recently and they are saying they are coming back next year. Thought they had gone quiet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote: »
    The last post I saw from him seemed to indicate he thought Smooth Radio was now aiming at 18-35 year olds. I imagine more along those lines.

I wouldn't be surprised if he starts doing stuff again for Trent Sound.

Possibly not as Trent Sound is Off air
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I was one of the new boys - I have to say that working with Len Groat, Andy M, Andy S and an amazing team of professionals these last few weeks has been awesome!

Although based all over the world, the organisation, attention to detail and quest for quality is nothing like I have experienced before. I'm sad the station finishes on Sunday - I was a listener over the last 2 years and loved being part of the line-up of presenters that I grew up listening to! and I got my own GEM jingle!

https://audioboom.com/boos/2688096-tony-mullins-gem-am-id
  • Options
    SimonjharrissonSimonjharrisson Posts: 1,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was one of the new boys - I have to say that working with Len Groat, Andy M, Andy S and an amazing team of professionals these last few weeks has been awesome!

Although based all over the world, the organisation, attention to detail and quest for quality is nothing like I have experienced before. I'm sad the station finishes on Sunday - I was a listener over the last 2 years and loved being part of the line-up of presenters that I grew up listening to! and I got my own GEM jingle!

https://audioboom.com/boos/2688096-tony-mullins-gem-am-id

Yes Tony it was good to hear you and (in my opinion) you have a great voice for Radio. So sad that it has ended so quickly for you. Maybe they will re-think and have second thoughts? It is puzzling as to why they have decided to pull the plug after just starting 3 new Presenters? Maybe you have been given the reason? I am on Facebook if you want to look me up :)
  • Options
    radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    It seems to have a loyal, almost cult like, following which is admirable.

But about 10 listeners.

Which were mainly the other presenters.

Still I bet Phil Collins will be pished off.
  • Options
    rubricrubric Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Had only given the occasional listen to Solid Gold GEM, but sad news nonetheless. Thanks for the recommendations upthread for oldies alternatives - I've enjoyed Atlantic 2NG too, and can also recommend http://radiobop.rad.io/ (it's the 60s station I've listened to, good music selection, no DJs as I recall).
  • Options
    Mike_PMike_P Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    But about 10 listeners.

Which were mainly the other presenters.

Still I bet Phil Collins will be pished off.

You are obviously not a listener because if you were you would know the stupidty of that statement, maybe you are mixing it up with some other station that does play Mr Collins a lot. Think we have been here before.
  • Options
    reverse_diodereverse_diode Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what I can deduce (and will somebody put me right if I'm wrong)? While Len Groat is in charge of collecting donations, Andy M seems to have been the one who has decided to call it a day.
    If his word is final then I can only assume without Andy there is no Solid Gold Gem AM. Maybe he has, finally, been offered a job that pays. He's a top DJ, imo.

Andy Marriott is indeed a fine DJ. Does anyone have an up to date photo of him?
  • Options
    BollardBollard Posts: 3,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But about 10 listeners.
    At a time. Say for example, they lose one listener and gain a new one every ten minutes, that's around 150 listeners per day.
  • Options
    norderneynorderney Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.decadesradio.co.uk/#!schedule/cc2c

If you're looking for a replacement for Solid Gold GEM AM I'd suggest trying Decades Radio. Dean Martin is behind this venture.

Dean Martin (ex Gold) presents the breakfast show on Decades Radio which is simulcast with Nusound Radio on 92.0FM in East London. Nusound has a variety of different styles of programmed such as Asian programmes.

Decades Radio has presenters on air Monday to Friday from 07:00 until 12:00, then more presenters from 14:00 until 22:00.

Decades Radio has only been broadcasting for about 4 weeks and currently does not have presenters at the weekends yet, but according to their Facebook page they plan to have presenters on at weekend soon. They are currently planning to fill the gap in the schedule from 12:00 to 14:00.

Currently
    Dean Martin from 07:00 to 10:00
    Graham Dene from 10:00 to 12:00
    David Hamilton does his Million Sellers from 14:00 to 16:00
    Mark Gale ifrom 16:00 to 19:00
    Chris Tibbles from 19:00 to 22:00
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    It is sad that Solid Gold GEM AM is closing, but it was a hobby, done for love and some have worked very hard in keeping it going and making sound so good.

I was proud to have done my bit and having recorded my last shows earlier this week it is goodbye to an attempt to buck the trend.

Thanks for posting.

Hopefully not gone forever and hopefully a way can be found to make GEM a sustainable service at some point (preferably before all of the real radio presenters fall-off their twig)!
    :D
  • Options
    Artie FischalArtie Fischal Posts: 1,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks, John, for those weekend breakfasts. Your show was a great choice to wake up to.
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    Bollard wrote: »
    At a time. Say for example, they lose one listener and gain a new one every ten minutes, that's around 150 listeners per day.

Makes me really wonder if internet only radio is worth the time and effort when a station like Solid Gold Gem can only get 150 listeners in a day. What do the others get?
  • Options
    MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,898
    Forum Member
    Amara wrote: »
    Makes me really wonder if internet only radio is worth the time and effort when a station like Solid Gold Gem can only get 150 listeners in a day. What do the others get?

If they use Shoutcast or Icecast you can use search but what they call listeners is connected streams, there might be more than one person listening to it.

Shoutcast is currently showing 51 connected streams at the moment so if that's typical there's far more than 150 listeners as day, people tune in and out all the time.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Amara wrote: »

It's like every other radio station it needs to fight for its listeners. Apart from on here and other forums how many people knew the ststion exists?

Listening to radio online seems to be growing in popularity bit this doesn't mean internet stations are gaining listeners. People are just choosing to listen to their existing station online instead of just on fm.

Anyone running an internet station needs to ask why listeners should dump their current station and listen to them. Then they actually need to tell people they exsist.
  • Options
    radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh so 150 listeners only listening to 10 minutes a time????? :D
  • Options
    PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it proves that radio from a big stick is going to around for a long time yet. You need mass distribution and big numbers to make it pay. 99% of internet radio is just crappy music streams from people who think they're going to change the world. I appreciate Solid Gold Gem AM was run by professionals and sounded so but without a terrestrial base it was doomed.
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    Station ID wrote: »
    It's like every other radio station it needs to fight for its listeners. Apart from on here and other forums how many people knew the ststion exists?

Listening to radio online seems to be growing in popularity bit this doesn't mean internet stations are gaining listeners. People are just choosing to listen to their existing station online instead of just on fm.

Anyone running an internet station needs to ask why listeners should dump their current station and listen to them. Then they actually need to tell people they exsist.

Valid point that whilst I listen to many internet only stations I also listen online to my local FM station as FM reception isn't that good indoors and to stations like Magic and Magic AM that I would otherwise be unable to listen to here.
  • Options
    reverse_diodereverse_diode Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do the maths. Even if such a station generated an income of £100K in advertising, which I suggest is a very exaggerated amount, by the time bills have been paid and wages to freelance jocks, the proprietor would probably be left with £30K. He might as well go and do a 9-5 job and have a relatively easy life and steady income.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hi Guys
    Another Internet station you could take a look at is Greatest Hits Radio Midlands UK
    We run it though theday only but no adverts or news, mostly listener requests or nonstop music. Mostly 50s 60s 70s & 80s
    Ps - I believe Gem had 3 separate streams and so had more than 10 listeners at any one time, think your count may be one of the three streams possibly. ( 30 at the minute )
    Ran by myself Uncle Dave and Vonnny my wife, it's a fun station with no profits at all.
    http://tun.in/se4xI
    [url]Http://ghrmidlands.com//[/url]
    You can also find us on facebook, would not compare us with Dolid gold Gem but most our shows are live, and a country show on a Sunday afternoon.
    Live Breakfast shows Monday to Friday
    Teatime shows 24/7
    Hope it's ok posting this, don't go on forums very often
    Cheers
    Uncle Dave
  • Options
    BollardBollard Posts: 3,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do the maths. Even if such a station generated an income of £100K in advertising, which I suggest is a very exaggerated amount, by the time bills have been paid and wages to freelance jocks, the proprietor would probably be left with £30K. He might as well go and do a 9-5 job and have a relatively easy life and steady income.
    From my experience, running an internet station can realistically only be a hobby. Even then you still need to be able to pay PRS and PPL. Server costs these days are minimal though.
    Would be interested to know if there are any stations out there (in the UK) who are being run as a proper business.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From my experience, running an internet station can realistically only be a hobby. Even then you still need to be able to pay PRS and PPL. Server costs these days are minimal though.
    Would be interested to know if there are any stations out there (in the UK) who are being run as a proper business.

Maybe not UK stations, but some on Shoutcast often have 10K+ listeners at a given time. So with people tuning in and out I would think that could equal maybe 100K+ people listening often. That could get them some decent advertising money I would think?
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    Maybe not UK stations, but some on Shoutcast often have 10K+ listeners at a given time. So with people tuning in and out I would think that could equal maybe 100K+ people listening often. That could get them some decent advertising money I would think?

Most of those though are stations with a AM/FM/DAB licences as well or sister stations with a license. For instance Sky radio have quite a few streams on there with over 10k but they also have stations on AM/FM/DAB