Options

Did your wisdom teeth smell?

andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
Forum Member
My wisdom teeth are coming through and I've had minor headaches/pain but nothing serioes. I have no fillings but there is a bad smell on one wisdom tooth. If I touch it and then smell my finger, it smells horrible. Its disgusting!

Is this normal?

Comments

• Options
    shantomshantom Posts: 2,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of mine did, it was the bottom one - I ended up getting abscesses there all the time so in the end I had all four pulled out - best thing I ever did. You have my sympathies, wisdom teeth are a pain!
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may have got some infection or on impacted tooth

http://www.colgateprofessional.com/patient-education/articles/wisdom-teeth

I would suggest a trip to the dentist asap, but in the mean time dissolve a teaspoon of salt in a tumbler of warm water and use it as a mouthwash morning and night this should help combat any infection.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    It actually smells like poo and freaking me out
  • Options
    SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had a similar problem. My dentist said it was because it's so easy for bits of food to get trapped under the gum as a tooth is coming through and it's impossible to clean properly yourself so it can cause frequent infections.

I was prescribed Corsodyl mouthwash which worked brilliantly, and also used salt in warm water to rinse it to help keep infections at bay. I would recommend just trying one of these options for now and see if it improves.

If you're really worried though, go to your dentist and they'll be able to see if it's just an infection for the reason I mentioned above or if there is a larger problems such as the tooth being impacted.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Did your wisdom teeth smell?

Nope, but l know how much of a literal pain they are! I had to have an emergency dental visit earlier on in the week where l was prescribed metronizadole antibiotics + corsodyl to deal with a (very, very painful) wisdom tooth infection that suddenly flared up.

andersonsonson, I'd really suggest booking a check up as soon as possible with your NHS dentist (it'll cost £19 or so) or finding one via here http://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Dentists/LocationSearch/3 and then absolutely abiding by their advice and instructions. You'll probably have to pay for your own medications plus prescriptions too so I'd suggest budgeting for it as well. It's better to get it professionally sorted out now rather than have it develop into something much worse and more painful later on. Good luck with this one!