To Ipad mini or not

2»

Comments

• kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    No one got round to mentioning the quite bizarre thing about the iPad Mini and iTunes.

Well iTunes offers HD content in either 720p or 1080p so whilst it would play 720p fine on the Nexus but for the DRM, it has to be compressed for the Mini.
    A rather strange choice considering the maturity of the market.

It also offers SD content and at a lower price, so I don't understand the issue, surely you buy what is appropriate for your device?

Or is this another attemp to dig at the iPad mini screen resolution? It seems that people are very happy with their iPad mini, must be very annoying for you:)
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    It seems that people are very happy with their iPad mini, must be very annoying for you:)

Reassuring that they 'surely am' likely a H.A.P.P.Y. lot .
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It also offers SD content and at a lower price, so I don't understand the issue, surely you buy what is appropriate for your device?

Or is this another attemp to dig at the iPad mini screen resolution? It seems that people are very happy with their iPad mini, must be very annoying for you:)

Exactly. I've bought HD content and SD content for my mini and it plays just fine
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It also offers SD content and at a lower price, .. surely you buy what is appropriate for your device?
    Which is?

The Nexus 7 strangely seems more appropriately designed for that iTunes ecosystem.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which is?

The Nexus 7 strangely seems more appropriately designed for that iTunes ecosystem.

I've bought HD content for my mini and even though it downscales it still looks nice and is an improvement over SD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which is?

What a strange thing to say. iTunes is designed to serve a number of devices which it does.

The nexus cannot even connect to iTunes so how you can say it is better designed for it I do not know.

As I said before, your attempted dig at the mini isn't going very well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've bought HD content for my mini and even though it downscales it still looks nice and is an improvement over SD.

I think the postings are a typical example of people reading specs and not actually using the machine.

I find the iPad mini a very good piece of kit and have never once had a problem with resolution or watching movies/tv.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    pumazooma wrote: »
    They're all extremely similar.

Personally I wouldn't get an ipad mini right now as they're bound to put a better screen on it at the first update (probably september).

If you took that view you'd never buy anything as something better will be around the corner or the price will drop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often find that specs on paper are different to real life performance.....
    That's the thing about real life. Its what, where when.

The Galaxy S3 is heavily colour saturated which people like in that it helps as an allrounder.
    It's not that accurate but vibrant and thus well viewable.

Samsung seem to do similar with their PLS IPS type screens on their phones and tablets.
    Plus that 15% extra brightness and near 30% easier viewing at an angle obviously helps when out and about.

I can't help think that they did they maybe did it for a practical reason.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the thing about real life. Its what, where when.

The Galaxy S3 is heavily colour saturated which people like in that it helps as an allrounder.
    It's not that accurate but vibrant and thus well viewable.

Samsung seem to do similar with their PLS IPS type screens on their phones and tablets.
    Plus that 15% extra brightness and near 30% easier viewing at an angle obviously helps when out and about.

I can't help think that they did they maybe did it for a practical reason.

Indeed, and those screens do look really vibrant, but I can think of an instance where a more realistic colour set would be preferable on a tablet - where a photographer is using it when out and about to view the pictures they've taken so far. I know a few snappers who use an iPad now when a few years back they might have used a Creative Zen or other storage/viewer unit, or a laptop.