Scottish Independence not so unlikely

Comments

• irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Good, I hope the 'Yes' vote succeeds and independence does happen. It will be so funny to watch them come crawling back and asking for re-unification in a decade or so.

Wow... that's a bit harsh doncha think?

If it's what the Scottish people want, can't you just wish them luck and hope it works out for them? Why all the antagonism?

I bet if Northern Ireland was to vote to leave. most of the UK would be very happy with that decision.. in fact they'd probably agree to donate a substantial amount of cash if we'd just agree to f3ck off and leave you guys in peace
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good, I hope the 'Yes' vote succeeds and independence does happen. It will be so funny to watch them come crawling back and asking for re-unification in a decade or so.

Unfortunately you'll be paying for the ticket, It's going to cost us all Billions
  • ianlawnianlawn Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many eu politicians have said new eu countries need to adopt euro, scotland will need to join back of queue for membership and using someone elses currency without control is a big no no. The yes campaign cant just call everyone liars rather than a sensible debate.

I still think it will be a no vote. its one small sample and out of loads of polls. Plus i believe people like idea of change but when they have to make a decision they stick with the conservative choice rather than a risky one.

Britain wont change much whereas scotland will change massively possibly for worse or better. So i dont really care. I believe no vote is better for everyone but think it would be a cool thing to happen
  • Ninja_NathanNinja_Nathan Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    It's not going to happen. The media just wants to make it seem interesting.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So apparently Alastair Darling is claiming this 'is a wake up call'...

With the polls over the previous months showing the yes camp consistently gaining more and more votes, has the Official No organisation's campaign failed? Should they stop focusing on the currency? Should they shift their strategy away from primarily attacking the 'yes' camp's arguments and instead focus on a more positive campaign... Or would it be disasterous at this stage to change their message?
  • BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    It's not Scotlands oil and never has been. But the idiot Salmond thinks it is.

Which is why the government lied about the amount of oil in the fields around the time of the last referendum in the 1970's, right?
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Personally i think it's going to be a "No" but what i am interested in is the percentages. I reckon it's going to be close.

What i also find fascinating is the Scots themselves are hugely split. And by that i mean the islanders on Shetland and Orkney who don't want independence but if it does happen....they want their independence from Scotland and join up with Norway! :o:o

This is going to be fun! :D:D

Less split now than they were. It used to be 80/20 now it's more 60/40 I believe. I have always maintained that the highlands and Islands of Scotland should be a federal state inside the UK. Their needs and worries are very unique to them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    This poll is most likely a massaging of the data and probably been put out to spur the apathy voters who will just assume it won't happen so won't be heading to the booths. If the vote narrowly wins, I can see a mass exodus of business and talent from Scotland. I work with three highly qualified Scots who commute down every week and they have said there are many Nationalists who have said yes the minute independence was out forward, which is worrying.

What should be worrying for Scotland is all three have said they will be doing a Sean Connery by selling up and moving south if it comes off, as there is already enough religious division without adding to it with this notion.

If Shetland then decides they have more in common with the UK and declare independence from Scotland, then it's game over in terms of the pipe dream of oil production sustenance for Salmond and friends.
  • Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This latest poll didn't take into account the undecided. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who is undecided has to vote no. If the Yes campaign failed to persuade someone, it's only right that they vote to keep things the same. If people fail to turn out to vote then it could go to the Yes camp, and that would be a very sad day, indeed. :(
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,546
    Forum Member

Unlikely to happen. And there'd be nothing funny about it.
  • fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they vote yes. I am sick to the back teeth of UK television focusing on Scotland. We might actually get decent detailed weather reports when we don't have to mention the foreigners.
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    It's not Scotlands oil and never has been. But the idiot Salmond thinks it is.

Why isn't it?
  • Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why would they crawl back? Scotland is not Zimbabwe and can be very successful economically with or without the union. Moreso, without.

Why is it ok to be anti EU yet ostracise Scots wishing for independence?

Alot of Scottish Independence Supporters' arguments resonates with North of England, Wales, N.Ireland.

The problem isn't Scotland but darn sarf. I am a pro-unionist and hope Scotland votes no to independence based on Historical, Cultural, Societal reasons.
    Forum Member
    fleabee wrote: »
    I hope they vote yes. I am sick to the back teeth of UK television focusing on Scotland.
    Be careful what you wish for. There will be an awful lot more focus on Scotland should they vote for independence!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not really in any camp (that is to say that I don't really have the right to shove my views down anybody's throat) but as a Scotsman living in England I feel that the English / the better together team (lol) have played a rather silly hand, to claim that we work better together but with the same breath claiming that Scotland aren't capable of doing on there own?. Should have stuck with better together, a landslide would have ensued. Now there just gonna rub you face in it.
  • zexstreamzexstream Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    What we need is a hard pressed advert telling the Scottish people what will happen if they go it alone.

1. Borders to be introduced and a steel fence spanning along side Hadrians wall.

2. Ban on Scotland using the Royal Family, Sterling, English, and the BBC.

3. Visa`s for anyone Scottish working in the UK, deportations likely.
    Forum Member
    zexstream wrote: »
    What we need is a hard pressed advert telling the Scottish people what will happen if they go it alone.

1. Borders to be introduced and a steel fence spanning along side Hadrians wall.

2. Ban on Scotland using the Royal Family, Sterling, English, and the BBC.

3. Visa`s for anyone Scottish working in the UK, deportations likely.

Yes, that's sure to encourage people away from independence! :)
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    B.Caine wrote: »
    It's a shame that the Scot's hate us so much
    It's ignorant, sweeping generalisations like this that could well be sewing a handful of Yes seeds (from equally ignorant voters). Keep it up. :D

Seriously, this about Scotland. Take your self pity elsewhere.

I have four voters in my house and every single one is a YES vote (two have already cast their vote). Before the TV debates started, we had one NO vote, but my dear old dad has been converted to YES, bless him. I never thought I'd see the day.

Like many Scots, I just want us to be fully in control of our own destiny. It's about time we had that.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,908
    Forum Member

I find this kind of spiteful reaction pretty peculiar.
    Why begrudge a country its independence? Why not have some goodwill and wish them all the very best?
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Highly unlikely that any such thing would happen.

Care to name a country that has opted for independence from the United Kingdom applying to become a colony again?

The fact is that an independent Scotland could be financially viable and it's citizens would control the policies they consider important. Not being involved in far off conflicts would make Scotland a safer country to live in with a dividend to spend on health, welfare, children and the elderly at home. 'Bairns not bombs' makes total sense and that is one reason why opinions have been moving towards a Yes vote in two weeks time!
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    spookyLX wrote: »
    To be honest I could not care less anymore if Scotland went independent and by Independent I mean cutting ties completely no cherry picking bits they want to keep like Alex seems to think he will be able to do ,

like a lot on here, you sound like a huffed child.:)
  • AshbourneAshbourne Posts: 3,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Jolly good :)

I wouldn't count my chickens though; the Yes campaign needs to stay focused and vigorous.

Come on Scotland! The definition of a sovereign country is to have its independence and the highest possible degree of self-determination.
    I know how I'd vote :)
    You're so lucky to have this opportunity.

It's a very exciting place to be at the moment. We are deciding the futures of our children and grandchildren.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While it is true that there are geographical political differences of opinion in Scotland , is it surely not the same for England? As far as I am aware, England is not one homogenous area where everyone is happy with the policies of the ruling Tory/Lib Dem Administration. Indeed, what I see is a strong disaffection between north and south (London in particular) and I suspect that this will become much more polarized if Scotland decides to leave the UK. But it's not like England didn't have the chance to have devolved powers. For all his faults, Blair did try and create regional assemblies but there was no appetite for them then.

I also really don't think some people on this forum 'get it' in terms of Scottish Independence. It is certainly not being portrayed here in Scotland as an 'anti English' thing. People are actually taking a pretty level headed view of what they feel is best for their future and that of their families. They look to Westminster and see more of the same coming down the track and it just doesn't appeal to them. Many here have had enough. They aspire to better and feel that the best way to secure this is for the country to take a different direction and take charge of its own destiny. For better or worse, that is their right.

Great post. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fleabee wrote: »
    I hope they vote yes. I am sick to the back teeth of UK television focusing on Scotland. We might actually get decent detailed weather reports when we don't have to mention the foreigners.

It's statements like this which are galvanising people to vote yes, so you will hopefully get your wish. :)
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,908
    Forum Member
    Ashbourne wrote: »
    It's statements like this which are galvanising people to vote yes, so you will hopefully get your wish. :)

The whole debate on the English side is so bitter and infused with antipathy.
    It's fantastic because it completely undermines the 'better together' campaign.