Katie Price: standing up for Harvey

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    gmc93 wrote: »
    You speak as though you personally know Katie? :rolleyes: Didn't she want to keep her children off of TV. From what I've witnessed on Katie's TV shows, she's a brilliant mum to her kids. She has made mistakes, but who are we to judge if she's a good mother or not? Personally I would much rather watch a TV show of her and what it's like to care for a disabled child than the same old crap we see on her other shows like Kerry Katona and Peter Andre.

Thats your opinion and thats ok but mine is also purely based on what i have seen over the years and she imo is a poor excuse of a mother. Don't forget that she still includes harvey in her programme but she bans harvey from being on petes show.So much for highlighting the cause as she tries to put it.
    She doesn't seem to understand that once you have children they SHOULD come first not your own selfish needs.
    There was a time when harvey was really distressed on one of her shows because he was having to to sit for hours with flashing cameras in what seemed like a heated room so that she could get a photo op of her holding him and playing the dutiful mother.
    She knows that harvey is sensitive to certain lights and sounds but ignored that and went ahead in numerous occasions putting him through that turmoil.
    Not forgeting the numerous stories she sold about harvey and even showed harvey in nappies in one of her magazine covers. He maybe disabled but he is still entitled to be treated with some dignity. What kind of mother deliberately inflicts harm or upset on her child? But you choose to see her as a good mother and thats your opinion.
    Imo she uses harvey and i still continuing to do so to gain public sympathy. I don't doubt that its hard for her raising a child with a disablity but unlike many single mothers or families with disabled children...she gets alot of support caring for her children.
    I take my hat off to the families who cope daily with little to no support raising a disabled child and they truely are admirable not a narcassist who uses her disabled child to gain sympathy and to stay in the public eye. Its all in bad taste imo.:mad:
  • WAKEYLASSWAKEYLASS Posts: 6,085
    Forum Member
    Rose*~* wrote: »
    This is exactly it. If she was really doing this to raise awareness for disabled children and how difficult it is for parents to look after them (which I'm sure any sane thinking person would understand that it's not a walk in the park) then why link it to the Frankie Boyle incident?

Just make it about Harvey, if you're so desperate to do a documentary about him and his disability. No need to go head to head with a comedian who made a joke last year. Just show us what your life with your disabled child is like.
    Don't use him as a way to score points.

Absolutely agree with you Rose....anyway whether I like him or not, FB is quite an intelligent man and will wipe the floor with KP. Most people have agreed that the joke is in bad taste. FB will have his followers regardless of what others may think of him and his distasteful jokes and the likes of KP will not alter that. Obviously we will have to wait and see the show, but it is sounding like this in retaliation to FB and not really about Harvey's condition and plight! :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I agree disability should not be made a joke of.... however maybe it's the cynic in me due to all the "stunts" she has pulled in the past, this show makes for more column inches and tv exposure. She will get what she wants again "in the news" ... and there's her with a "world record signing of her new book" coming up. Maybe her ultimate aim from this show is to be painted as Mother Theresa???..maybe thats her new book "Katie Price...Humanitarian !! ";)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats your opinion and thats ok but mine is also purely based on what i have seen over the years and she imo is a poor excuse of a mother. Don't forget that she still includes harvey in her programme but she bans harvey from being on petes show.So much for highlighting the cause as she tries to put it.
    She doesn't seem to understand that once you have children they SHOULD come first not your own selfish needs.
    There was a time when harvey was really distressed on one of her shows because he was having to to sit for hours with flashing cameras in what seemed like a heated room so that she could get a photo op of her holding him and playing the dutiful mother.
    She knows that harvey is sensitive to certain lights and sounds but ignored that and went ahead in numerous occasions putting him through that turmoil.
    Not forgeting the numerous stories she sold about harvey and even showed harvey in nappies in one of her magazine covers. He maybe disabled but he is still entitled to be treated with some dignity. What kind of mother deliberately inflicts harm or upset on her child? But you choose to see her as a good mother and thats your opinion.
    Imo she uses harvey and i still continuing to do so to gain public sympathy. I don't doubt that its hard for her raising a child with a disablity but unlike many single mothers or families with disabled children...she gets alot of support caring for her children.
    I take my hat off to the families who cope daily with little to no support raising a disabled child and they truely are admirable not a narcassist who uses her disabled child to gain sympathy and to stay in the public eye. Its all in bad taste imo.:mad:
    Well said.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    How stupid of her, to publicise it like that. :rolleyes:

Regardless of how much the FB incident features in this doc, that KP sees it as a 2-finger response to FB - which that tweet most definitely implies - instead of an informative snapshot of her son's day to day life, without agenda, just cheapens the entire thing. It's supposed to be about Harvey, not friggin point-scoring.

And I was giving her the benefit of the doubt on this one...

Shame.
    Rose*~* wrote: »
    This is exactly it. If she was really doing this to raise awareness for disabled children and how difficult it is for parents to look after them (which I'm sure any sane thinking person would understand that it's not a walk in the park) then why link it to the Frankie Boyle incident?

Just make it about Harvey, if you're so desperate to do a documentary about him and his disability. No need to go head to head with a comedian who made a joke last year. Just show us what your life with your disabled child is like.
    Don't use him as a way to score points.

Absolutely agree with you guys. If she really wants to raise awareness of Harveys health issues and the day to day life of being the parent of a disabled child, then make it about Harvey and not as a FU to Frankie Boyle.

I will reserve jusdgement until I've read the reviews but it does appear more and more to be about scoring points and attention seeking than highlighting her sons condition
  • notfussynotfussy Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sionnaigh wrote: »
    As the mother of a disabled child I am fully behind anyone who can raise awareness of the issues,problems and discrimination they face on a day to day basis.

I haven't got ANY problem whatsoever with Katie Price doing this programme - if it brings the issue of disability to the fore - so much the better.

As for the part you highlighted - if you read it in the context in which it was written - it was about being saddened that people who can find it humourous to make fun of a disabled child, will not care one jot about Katie's programme. Nothing more than that.

^^ This.
    I have three disabled kids. Anything that publicises what families with disabled kids goes through is ok with me.
  • artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Absolutely agree with you guys. If she really wants to raise awareness of Harveys health issues and the day to day life of being the parent of a disabled child, then make it about Harvey and not as a FU to Frankie Boyle.

I will reserve jusdgement until I've read the reviews but it does appear more and more to be about scoring points and attention seeking than highlighting her sons condition

She has used that boy as her golden ticket since the day he was conceived...and just put a higher price tag on him once she found out his problems.

I will not be at all shocked to find out that this is nothing more than an attempt at the MOTY label she used to enjoy. "Brave Katie" reborn.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2009642/Katie-Prices-heartfelt-denunciation-Frankie-Boyles-vile-slur-Harvey.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

I do have mixed feelings about this. What I do know is if anyone hurt my child this way I would react the exact same way.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goldiloks wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2009642/Katie-Prices-heartfelt-denunciation-Frankie-Boyles-vile-slur-Harvey.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

I do have mixed feelings about this. What I do know is if anyone hurt my child this way I would react the exact same way.

It must have hurt when she heard him insult him/the situation with him.
  • GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member
    I thought she wasn't going to have her kids exploited on tv anymore? Didn't she attack Peter Andre for putting them on tv?

She's the biggest hypocrite that ever walked. She is so desperate to stay in the public eye and obviously her boyfriend isn't that interesting to any of us so she's trying the other ploy of putting her children on tv. (Disguised as saying it's to prove something to Frankie Boyle).

So she'll be donating her fee to a charity for disabled children then I hope?
  • GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member
    notfussy wrote: »
    ^^ This.
    I have three disabled kids. Anything that publicises what families with disabled kids goes through is ok with me.

The we'd get alot more out of the recent series Born To Be Different which highlighted various children with different problems. It was informative, sad at times, other times joyful.

I doubt the over made up Jordan will have the same effect on us as it is all about her and not about Harvey, who cannot speak for himself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That article mention her mum once and herself numerous times... remind me who Harvey's full time carer is?

I had hoped this was a serious look at Harvey's disability but it sounds even worse that I imagined... two fingers up at FB and a pat me on the back fest. I really hope I am wrong but I doubt it, I am going to break my rule about not watching their crap to watch this tomorrow.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have no probs in principle with what KP is trying to do here (and that's a nice article about Harvey) but I think she should have left FB completely out of it. The moment has passed, she rightly was furious about it at the time and make her feelings known, but she should have left it in the past where it belongs. I really hoped she would do this in a dignified way, as a courtesy to her son, but, before it has even aired, her earlier plug/tweet for the programme hit all the wrong 'come and ave a go woooo' notes.

Why waste any more time and energy on FB? Why not just let the reality of Harvey's own dignity and the positive things he has achieved and continues to achieve in his life do the talking?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member

As a former kp defender...i can honestly hand on heart say that deep down i am sure she loves her children but the issue i have with her is that she seems to prioritise the wrong things and seeks attention at whatever cost.

She needs grieve and deal with her loss and all the expectations a mother would normally hope for her child(regarding harvey).I don't think she has done this imo.

She also needs to deal with the rejection she has faced i.e her biological father abandoning her,dwight yorke,dane bowers and now peter. Bedding as many men as possible,seeking to have another child with yet another man or getting drunk will not help her plight in a long run.imo.
    She needs to learn to appriciate what she has now. I could be way off with my opinion though.
  • mumbles26mumbles26 Posts: 5,768
    Forum Member
    Nope, no, no way am I giving her he benefit of doubt.

She is simply exploiting Harvey to her on ends.

She seeks permanent publicity and by whatever means are available to her.

Despicable orange 'woman'
  • hunniebunhunniebun Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree.

None of us (as far as I know) has had their child ridiculed and made fun of on National TV - so although we can imagine how it made her feel - none of us really know -and we can only speculate about how we would react - and I suspect that all of us would react in different ways.

I suspect with me, I would keep pursuing Channel 4 and Frankie Boyle relentlessly and by whatever means I had available to me, until they acknowledged that what happened was wrong on so many levels and apologised publicly for what was said.

Would I make a programme about it if I had the resources in the hope of publicly shaming them in the way they publicly shamed my child? I honestly don't know - but I may have done.

On another note, I do think its a really good newspaper article.
  • momma11momma11 Posts: 3,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She had a right to be furious when that joke was aired , I most certainly would have been if it were my child and I don`t know what I may have done if I got my hands on him , however , I think she`s milking it , that whole article , whilst being moving , was nothing short of an advert for the program and her brave mum act.
    She claims this is the first time she is going into any depth on Harvey`s situation , that most certainly is not true as she has given interview after interview on him over the years.
    Anyone who has seen her shows in the past will know how much time , effort , and care her mother Amy has given to Harvey , and yet in that article KP minimises her role , is that a taste of what we can expect to see on the program ?
    I have no doubt that KP loves Harvey , and I have no doubt she will use him for publicity yet again.
  • Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    hunniebun wrote: »
    I agree.

None of us (as far as I know) has had their child ridiculed and made fun of on National TV - so although we can imagine how it made her feel - none of us really know -and we can only speculate about how we would react - and I suspect that all of us would react in different ways.

/QUOTE]

But she's already said what she wanted to say about Frankie Boyle. Why not say, right, I've said what I wanted to say about him, he does not deserve any more of my time and energy, I will not let him take away any time I have with my kids, but.. I do want the public to know what it is really like to be a mum to a child like Harvey. I want to show a day in the life, show what we go through every day and what struggles we have to face.

If this was truly about Harvey and about awareness, Frankie Boyle's name would not even be mentioned at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gav016 wrote: »
    I'm NOT a fan of her, but she always seems like she puts her kids first, so I'm sure she's doing this for all the right reasons. That being said, I don't think I'll be watching.

if she put her children first she would not have married Alex after knowing him for 5 mins or brought Leandro into her home so soon after splitting with Alex. She is all me me me.
  • Jem19876Jem19876 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hunniebun wrote: »
    None of us had their child ridiculed and made fun of on National TV
    Which is exactly why it is a farce to suggest this programme will give an insight into what it's like to live with a disabled child that will help other parents in a similar situation.

Jordan and her child weren't picked on because he's disabled. They were picked on because she's famous and a waste of space media **** who has pushed her child onto the public consciousness.

This documentary might be fine for what it is. The target audience is never going to be people who are seriously interested in learning about life for a disabled child. It's going to be aimed at her fans, and people who wouldn't normally watch documentaries, so those people might learn something useful between the sensational nonsense, but on the whole this looks like a puff piece aimed at creating some positive publicity for herself using her disabled son yet again.

What a shame for her that Cheryl Cole has got a new hair-style and everyone is still more interested than that.
  • changachanga Posts: 11,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What a lovely piece :)
  • ALPERTON94ALPERTON94 Posts: 418
    Forum Member

Amy, you seem like someone who doesn't forget and forgive (not that she did a crime,or needs to apologise to you or any of her "non" fans who know everything about her :rolleyes:)
    And what has peter got to do with this?:confused:? I have a theory for why she didn't allow peter to use Harvey in his show... Probably because she knows that Harvey would appear in the entire show and that is taking advantage. And you being a PA fan it is a little hypocritical to say she uses Harvey when PA uses his 2 kids throughout the entire show to carry his "career" for him and without his kids (anyone knows this even you) there would be no show.:)
  • MinetteMinette Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    I have a disabled child and it doesn't matter if you have millions in the bank or have nothing it still rips your heart out every day. I'm no fan of KP but like others have said if she raise awareness of what it's like to have a disabled child one iota then good luck to her. She's lucky in that she has plenty of help and so is not representative of other parents struggling but no one is clamouring to make a programme about me are they?
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    changa wrote: »
    What a lovely piece :)

I agree.
  • RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister was severely disabled, my mother adopted her from a woman who had no support, had issues herself, and couldn't cope.

My mum CHOSE to take on the responsibility for a little girl who couldn't hold up her head, speak, see properly, walk, or understand much more than a two year old when she was ten. Not once did my mum ever complain about the workload, the nappies, the screaming, she just wanted to do her best for her, and she did, right up until she (my sister) died.

I do feel for Katie having a disabled child and I don't doubt she loves Harvey but with the best will in the world Katie's circumstances are not the same as your average parent of a disabled child, she can afford nurses, nannies, sensory rooms and advanced equipment, and generally ensure that a) she is never left alone struggling to care for her little boy and b) that he has the best quality of life she can give.

Making a program about HER struggle is not what I want to see. What about all the other parents who get basic support from the NHS - why can't she explore their life, a life limited to what they can afford in terms of support, and what the government can assure for the future for respite care, local sensory rooms, better mobility support, etc.

We all love our children the same, disabled or not, and I don't need Katie Price to convince me she loves her son or that his disability is a challenge. That's what a disability is.