The Daily Show (not) with Jon Stewart

WhiteShadeWhiteShade Posts: 388
Forum Member
I've rather enjoyed the show whilst John Oliver has been fronting it. It may just be because I'm English but he sure as hell make American politics easier to grasp.

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thread about it here ..

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1805058

But I agree, Oliver has been fantastic - this could certainly launch him into the comedy 'A' list.
  • TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Stewart guests on Egypts answer to his show!! Apparently Jon Stewart is in Egypt to direct a movie!!

http://youtu.be/kEO2Rd3sJbA
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TVGirl319 wrote: »
    Jon Stewart guests on Egypts answer to his show!! Apparently Jon Stewart is in Egypt to direct a movie!!

http://youtu.be/kEO2Rd3sJbA

I knew he was off to direct his film but I didn't know he was a guest on that show. I'll have to watch that when I get home
  • SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WhiteShade wrote: »
    I've rather enjoyed the show whilst John Oliver has been fronting it. It may just be because I'm English but he sure as hell make American politics easier to grasp.

Jon Stewart does the same thing and it isn't any more difficult to grasp. The only difference is the accent. Is that what makes it easier for you? :p

Anyways, I always liked John Oliver and felt that he would do very well covering for JS. Splendid choice by Stewart. :D
  • hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad that John Oliver is doing a good job of hosting. I am a fan of his podcast that he does, and thinking about it the best days of Mock the week were when he was on it.

Anyone know how it's doing in the ratings since he took over.?

Just wondering if there would be a chance of his own spin off on CC. I just hope if that did happen it would be shown over here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hallstar wrote: »
    Just wondering if there would be a chance of his own spin off on CC. I just hope if that did happen it would be shown over here.

I personally think it could happen. I know they've got the Colbert Report as well, so they might not want a third show of a similar style, but he's shown so far that he could certainly handle one.

I suppose if Jon's film is successful, he'll potentially get more offers to direct so it may be entirely possible he could stand down from The Daily Show so John Oliver could take over permanently ?. He's been doing it for ten years as well, so you never know.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just checked on The Daily Show webiste, and behind the rather obvious cut in the episode aired here on 24th July was a gag featuring a nude portrait of the Queen.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    I've just checked on The Daily Show webiste, and behind the rather obvious cut in the episode aired here on 24th July was a gag featuring a nude portrait of the Queen.

If we’re talking about the 11pm UK broadcasts (which are then repeated the following day at 8pm) there was also a very obvious cut in the show that aired on Tuesday 23rd, right after they did a brief bit on the birth of the Royal baby at the start of the show. Anyone know what they was?
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    "International" versions are often cut in seemingly bizarre ways. I doubt the UK CC is doing it.
  • rammie96rammie96 Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Jon Stewart is back next week - but CC Extra over here have moved TDS back to midnight!

I think we all know what happens next don't we? Such a shame - why do these shows never find an audience here?
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    It likely gets a similar audience share as in america - they just have a bigger total population.
    Forum Member
    alternate wrote: »
    It likely gets a similar audience share as in america - they just have a bigger total population.

No - it'll be getting a much lower share here.
    It averages just over a million 18-49yr olds in the US - I'll be amazed if it even hits 30,000 here (it only ever got 100K on More4).

Comedy Central Extra itself only has an average audience share of 0.1% and TDS is clearly underperforming even that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame they've moved it to midnight, but if CC Extra bin it, i'll just go back to downloading - I suppose at least doing that, you can, more often than not, get the show in HD.
    Forum Member
    I think it's only a matter of time until they bin it - they started showing it last July so hopefully the contract lasts until next July at least though!

I think we should give up on the idea of any US late night shows ever finding an audience here - TDS, Colbert and Letterman have all failed on a range of channels.

Downloading, or streaming from CC US, will be back on the agenda but I like having it on 'proper' telly!
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It’s a shame it’s gradually moved later and later in the Comedy Central Extra schedules, last time I checked it was getting less than 10,000 viewers. If it were any other channel I’d say it’ll be axed at the earliest opportunity, but I’m hoping that the fact that it’s made by Comedy Central in the US means Comedy Central UK are getting it at a heavily discounted rate (while no other UK broadcaster is interested). You have to consider the effort the programme requires too though, on a daily basis they have to receive and edit it ready for broadcast – which takes a lot more time and effort than just sticking on an old episode of a sitcom.
    But it’s an acclaimed programme so I’m hoping they look at it as a bit of a loss leader and continue to show it, if only to ‘up’ their reputation within the British media world.

I know in this day and age there are other ways to watch it, but there’s nothing quite like having some on ‘actual’ TV in my opinion.

As for the show itself, Jon Stewart is back tonight (following John Oliver’s excellent guest host slot), so we’ll be seeing that on Comedy Central Extra tomorrow night at midnight.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rammie96 wrote: »
    Jon Stewart is back next week - but CC Extra over here have moved TDS back to midnight!

I think we all know what happens next don't we? Such a shame - why do these shows never find an audience here?

The late night showings don't help because by the time most people watch it they are 2 days behind the broadcast date. Not helpful for a topical news show.

I don't mind if it drops off UK tv if it means that it is made available via streaming.
    Forum Member
    Yep, the midnight times lot will kill off even more viewers and lead to the inevitable end.

To be fair to CC they started it at 10.30pm so they have tried - can't really blame them.

The low ratings and the sheer hassle involved in getting it on air will seal its fate.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    < The late night showings don't help because by the time most people watch it they are 2 days behind the broadcast date. Not helpful for a topical news show. >

The intention I am sure is to wreck it and have as few viewers as possible. Of course if they take it off completely, a channel who do not deliberately wreck left wing comment will take it and show it at reasonable times. That would never do. Terrestrial TV must be kept to the right of the Daily Express so that the plebs don't get any ideas.