Debit card rejected by two different cash machines

gkmacgkmac Posts: 208
Forum Member
Today I had a friend of mine over and we went to get some fish & chips in the town. I needed to get some cash out too.

In goes the debit card, tap in my PIN, ask for £50 and suddenly my card got spat out with a message "Sorry we are unable to complete this transaction". I tried again but did a balance enquiry instead, but again my card got spat out with the same message.

I said to the lady behind "This one's broken" before crossing the road to another ATM belonging to a different bank. In goes the debit card, tap in my PIN, ask for £50...

This completely different ATM belonging to a completely different bank also spat out my card with a similar message.

I know for a fact that this account had plenty of money, but surprisingly this other ATM also refused to do a balance enquiry with the same message, after spitting out my card like it was laced with Bitrex.

Why did this happen?

Comments

• keli77keli77 Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its to do with the cashpoints not being able to contact your bank to authorise the withdrawal, happens to me occassionally with my Nat west card & I have to go to a Natwest cashpoint to get money.
  • ErrodielErrodiel Posts: 4,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the previous poster. Sometimes happens when the computers go down at your bank so that no one else can talk to them. Pain in the backside, but should be sorted fairly quickly.
  • rickmanrickman Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange my mums card was taken by the machine today and not given back, then the guys card who was after her. :confused:
  • HelbrownHelbrown Posts: 3,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have they put a block on your card for security reasons? :confused:Egg are always doing it to me...:mad:
  • CylinderCylinder Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you recently used the card to withdraw, or spend, an usually high amount?

The banks use a computer program that spots unusual activity, and puts a block on the card - to help protect against theft or fraud.

It happen to me the other week - I had to get £250 out of the cash machine (the highest amount allowed per day on my card) for 3 days in a row - because I couldn't get to an actual bank.

The bank spotted this, and put a block on the card - in case it had been stolen.

I had to take the card and some ID to the bank to get it re-activated.
  • MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be a number of different reasons, but as other have already stated, the most likely cause will be that your own bank's systems were down (or the comms link to them was down).
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Is it a Lloyds TSB Basic account? If so, you can only use Lloyds TSB cashpoints with your Debit Card.

You may have been able to use other banks machines previously but I've seen other forums suggesting they may have closed that loophole in the last few weeks.
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simax wrote: »
    Is it a Lloyds TSB Basic account? If so, you can only use Lloyds TSB cashpoints with your Debit Card.

You may have been able to use other banks machines previously but I've seen other forums suggesting they may have closed that loophole in the last few weeks.

That's only with a cash account, other accounts you can use any cash machine.
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see you said a basic account, missed that word on first read *ignore me* :D
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    deleted
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gkmac wrote: »
    Today I had a friend of mine over and we went to get some fish & chips in the town. I needed to get some cash out too.

In goes the debit card, tap in my PIN, ask for £50 and suddenly my card got spat out with a message "Sorry we are unable to complete this transaction". I tried again but did a balance enquiry instead, but again my card got spat out with the same message.

I said to the lady behind "This one's broken" before crossing the road to another ATM belonging to a different bank. In goes the debit card, tap in my PIN, ask for £50...

This completely different ATM belonging to a completely different bank also spat out my card with a similar message.

I know for a fact that this account had plenty of money, but surprisingly this other ATM also refused to do a balance enquiry with the same message, after spitting out my card like it was laced with Bitrex.

Why did this happen?

I don't know ~ I do know that my old debit card would never work in the Nationwide ATM outside a local supermarket. It just spat it straight out without even a message. So these machines do have their faults.

It was only that machine that my old debit card didn't work in, and the new one does.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    its normally to do with the link network going down. they run most cash machines in the uk. it happens to me sometimes.

http://www.link.co.uk/mn_homepage.html
  • LemonhunnyLemonhunny Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happened to me on Saturday (same day as OP). I tried 3 cash machines with an Abbey card. Same message given as OP.

I phoned Abbey to be told that the network had gone down countrywide.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    it is normally to do with the link network but do check your funds are still in a/c and someone hasnt helped themselves to the money ie a fraud.
  • NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why it does it but occasionally all the cashpoints in say, Kingston have this problem. Sometimes I try to withdraw money from any cashpoint in the same town and there seems to be some kind of fault - when this happens to me I find it also happens to others.
  • gkmacgkmac Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Lemonhunny wrote: »
    Happened to me on Saturday (same day as OP). I tried 3 cash machines with an Abbey card. Same message given as OP.

I phoned Abbey to be told that the network had gone down countrywide.
    Ka-ching! The card that I tried to use on that Saturday was an Abbey card as well.

Didn't think anything more of it since I did have enough money to buy the fish & chips after all. Since then, I used the same card last night (Monday) to buy some food at a supermarket and requested cashback. The card was accepted.

If Abbey said "the network had gone down countrywide", would I have been unable to use said card to pay for stuff in shops?
  • BassthoundBassthound Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gkmac wrote: »
    Ka-ching! The card that I tried to use on that Saturday was an Abbey card as well.

Didn't think anything more of it since I did have enough money to buy the fish & chips after all. Since then, I used the same card last night (Monday) to buy some food at a supermarket and requested cashback. The card was accepted.

If Abbey said "the network had gone down countrywide", would I have been unable to use said card to pay for stuff in shops?

Unlikely you would have had a problem.A stand in system kicks in that authorises transaction to various limits based on account snapshots and history.

Also ATM network is Link where shops use a seperate system.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some reason my card never works in New Look or occassionally Next.

I remember being in Next, and handing over my card to pay for the purchases. The lady said it was declined and I insisted she tried it again, as I was sure there was money in the account. Nope, didn't work. I went to the cash machine around the corner and tried to withdraw the amount - not a problem. I printed out a statement and there was more than enough to cover the cost of my items. I went back into the store and told her that I had the cash here, but could she try my card again as there was enough money in it. She tried it again and BINGO! Strange.