Holidays abroad- worst holiday/country?

Comments

• soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    :( Lloret de Mar.The resort was nice,trip to Barcelona etc.But the pissed up Union Jack shorts brigade turned it into a hell on earth.
    Still we met some nice girls from London,so all was well!.;)
    I see it hasn't changed then! Went there once and swore never again, then two years later my mate did a group booking for us all and it turned out to be the same bloody resort. My highlight the second time was a dead body washing up on the beach in front of us while we were sun bathing.
  • spimfspimf Posts: 6,342
    Forum Member
    Not liking the Tunisia bashing, I'm going to Skanes in November, but my in-laws went to Hammemet in September one year and they had complaints!
    See apart from Lanzarote for a week in 2007, and Cancun for a fornight in 2010 we've went Portugal every year, so looking forward to Tunisia but worried at seeing the negative reviews, but then everywhere gets that.

Hi, I have been to Skanes 3 times and I loved it :D

The hotel we were in was absolutely gorgeous, right on the beach and the food etc was amazing. You're only about 2 minutes away from the airport, which is brilliant for the short transfer, but obviously you can hear the planes coming in, it didn't bother us though its not exactly a high traffic airport like Heathrow ;) Im sure you will have a great time :D

Back to the question at hand, worst holiday I ever went on was Salou in Spain. Horrible, horrible place. Skanky, dirty and downright dangerous. The hotel was vile, we were up a dark back alley above and surrounded by nightclubs, the beach was a state and we got followed home by some weird perv one evening.
  • kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just placed like Libya, The Congo, places that are just so dangerous that you could get killed for no reason!!!!

And I wouldnt want to go to South America. I just get the impression it would be filled with hood rats bugging you all the time.

Why did you go to Libya and the Congo for your holiday? Was it part of a round the world trip? Most people make do with Australia, New Zealand and a bit of Vietnam or Thailand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been to Turkey twice, one holiday was in Icmeler and it was awful, food terrible, hotel terrible! The second time was brilliant, stayng between Marmaris and Icmeler, the hotel was great. saying that Marmaris is a dirty horrible place, i've never seen so many cigarette butts on a beach!
    Got back from Albufeira, Portugal last week, that was a lovely holiday and would definitely go back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    petit-pois wrote: »
    Egypt. The staff at the resort were lovely, but I found the local shopkeepers and stallholders very pushy and wouldn't take no for an answer. Some would even try to pull you into their shop. I was pregnant at the time (although quite early so not immediately noticeable, so they may not have realised) and found it really uncomfortable and a bit scary! So we didn't venture out much.

Yip we found the Egyptian shopkeepers very pushy too - we found by telling that we had to go as we had left the children in the hotel with a sitter (we hadn't really as we were on our own!)_ worked. They let us go and were apologetic
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,820
    Forum Member
    I've never had so much sexual harrasment in my life as when I went to Egypt. To a frightening extent. It got to a point where I couldn't leave the hotel room without one of my male friends with me and culminated in 3 blokes following me into a public toilet. Luckily, a little girl who had braided my hair saw them follow me and came running in after them and started shouting.

Awful, would never go there again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never had so much sexual harrasment in my life as when I went to Egypt. To a frightening extent. It got to a point where I couldn't leave the hotel room without one of my male friends with me and culminated in 3 blokes following me into a public toilet. Luckily, a little girl who had braided my hair saw them follow me and came running in after them and started shouting.

Awful, would never go there again.

Thats scary, where in Egypt did you go? I went last year and didn't see anything like this. I found the locals to be really friendly!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,820
    Forum Member
    sareypoop wrote: »
    Thats scary, where in Egypt did you go? I went last year and didn't see anything like this. I found the locals to be really friendly!

Dahab, it's a very studenty/backpacker kind of place. I was in my early 20's at the time. It might be different in some of the more upmarket resorts, I couldn't say. It was a horrendous experience and has made me wary of going to other places in Egypt, which is a shame, cos I'd love to see the pyramids.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dahab, it's a very studenty/backpacker kind of place. I was in my early 20's at the time. It might be different in some of the more upmarket resorts, I couldn't say. It was a horrendous experience and has made me wary of going to other places in Egypt, which is a shame, cos I'd love to see the pyramids.

I'd be the same! Must have been awful. To be honest now Ive been there once, I wouldn't go back again. Got the dreaded Pharoahs belly out there, ive never been so ill in my life, had to have the doctor out and nearly a hospital trip to Israel!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Tunisia ,I'm afraid It was just rank ,dirty,horrible food ,pushy people.The usual complaints .Totally put me off north Africa.
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spimf wrote: »
    Hi, I have been to Skanes 3 times and I loved it :D

The hotel we were in was absolutely gorgeous, right on the beach and the food etc was amazing. You're only about 2 minutes away from the airport, which is brilliant for the short transfer, but obviously you can hear the planes coming in, it didn't bother us though its not exactly a high traffic airport like Heathrow ;) Im sure you will have a great time :D

Was the hotel the Sahara Beach?
  • spimfspimf Posts: 6,342
    Forum Member
    Was the hotel the Sahara Beach?

No, it was the Thalassa (Now the Raddison Blu) but we met a few people who were staying at the Sahara Beach and they said it was great, loads of stuff to do there apparently :)
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spimf wrote: »
    No, it was the Thalassa (Now the Raddison Blu) but we met a few people who were staying at the Sahara Beach and they said it was great, loads of stuff to do there apparently :)

Thats good then lol, thats where we're going, and apparently even in November there is plenty to do, on Trip Advisor its number 4 or 5 out of all the hotels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I It was mainly as it pi55ed down for the whole time I was there (meaning I couldn't go to the Angel Falls despite getting up at 5am 4 days in a row :eek:)
    Oddly enough my daughter once stayed in a hotel on the India/ Bangla Desh border that advertises itself as 'the wettest place on earth' and it didn't rain a spot. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have to echo many on here and say Tunisia.

Constant harrassement and rip offs. A guy in a carpet emporium begged me to take £500 in old £10 notes and put it through on my Visa card! Money laundering to boot! Obviously I declined his kind offer and my "free" mint tea was wipped out of my hand quicker than a quick thing.

My daughter's fair hair was constantly being touched by grubby old men ( and grubby young men too) and I can't help thinking it would have been a different story if I'd done the same to their wives!!

Yuk yuk yuk.

I have actively disuaded friends and family from waisting their money going there, I'm ashamed to say.
  • BurpingBoyBlueBurpingBoyBlue Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Never been to Turkey, and don't want to. From what I've heard it's dirty, the people are dirty, and it's full of rip-offs.

...Midnight Express put me off that place! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    BigRedSam wrote: »
    Ignorance is wonderful isn't it?

I've been to turgutreis near bodrom, the place was very clean, everything was very reasonably priced, the food was amazing, the people where extremely nice, very gay friendly for muslims which surprised me and whilst a lot of market stalls sold fake gear - they'd tell you it was fake and you'd find loads of stunning local products for pennies. I've still got a lovely marble chess set that I paid about £30 for.

In fact, the only bad thing I can remember is the bloody english chavs at a restaurant demanding burgers because they 'don't want none of that foreign muck'

As far as the worst place to visit, I'd have to say dallas texas. What a horrible, backwards place, mostly populated by horrible, backwards people (In my experience at least)

Turgutries is the place I used to live! We lived there for two years and it is a wonderful place. Very clean and friendly (whether you are gay or not isn't an issue with Muslims) and the food is fantastic. The streets are cleaned daily with daily rubbish collections too. The only thing I disliked about the place was the bitching and moaning that went on from the ex-pats who would just sit there in the same bar all day drinking their retirements away. Brits never seem to be happy no matter where they are in the world. Nothing will ever be good enough for them is the impression I got from a lot of them. The only time they sprang to life was when they were back stabbing each other. Turkish people are the opposite. They will give you the last Lira in their back pocket and the shirt off their back even though they don't earn much.

The backwards thinking that all Muslims are the same and because you've seen a film it puts you off an entire region of the world is quite bizarre.

For me Spain was a bit of a let down. Graffiti seemed to be everywhere we went. The airport looked like an apocalypse had hit it and the people I found quite stand offish and abrupt. When we ventured into the main town it was like being in little England with no reference to Spanish culture whatsoever. What is the point in going abroad if you're no willing to sample their culture??
  • curlywurlycurlywurly Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Mate of mine went to Tunisia & didnt enjoy it cos of harrassment.

i went to Tunisia with my 19yr old daughter, i really cannot remember the resort, but it was horrible, i felt unsafe, the shops keepers closed their doors once we were inside and tried to get a sale from me (a carpet that i didnt want) after a lot of hassle we were finaly let out of the shop with verbal abuse thrown at us, some of the young men cornered my daughter trying to pressurize her for a date. i hated every minute of it, we gave up going outside the complex after 3 days because we didnt like it that much.
  • Marcus BradshawMarcus Bradshaw Posts: 4,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Florida.

Thoroughly weird, edgy and well, fat.

This was a few years back, perhaps they've discovered salad since then.
    Forum Member
    Florida.

Thoroughly weird, edgy and well, fat.

This was a few years back, perhaps they've discovered salad since then.

Salad with full fat mayo...and plenty of it! :)
  • Marcus BradshawMarcus Bradshaw Posts: 4,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salad with full fat mayo...and plenty of it! :)

You mean there was salad under all that dressing?

How can you be sure? ;)
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Olhos de Agua. What a dump! My parents,my brother and I got food poisoning all those years ago.
    Forum Member
    It wasn't a holiday...but the worst country I've ever had to go to was Djibouti. It's an ex-French African colony,on the Red Sea coast.
    I had the misfortune to dock there in 1982 during that years World Cup. W 'd just watched Bryan "God" Robson score against France (the quickest World Cup goal on record at that time.) ...on a black and white TV in some wooden hut that they called a hotel.
    Refrigeration was non-existant so the Heineken (a lousy beer at the best of times) was served at room temperature, which was about 110F.

The game was great but the place was truly grim.

I was told the prostitutes were cheap though.
    A tin of baked beans was the going rate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fuerteventura. To be precise, the Tahona Gardens Bungalows. No gardens, not bungalows. Dirty, scummy hole of shite.

Lesson learned, always check out Trip Advisor first.

I've been to Fuerteventura 5 times in total as a child and an adult, would never class it as a dirty scummy shit hole.

Tenerife on the other hand...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    For those worried about Tunisia - I just want to tell you about my experience

I took 3 kids at 4 days notice and we stayed in a rockbottom hotel but used it as a base only

Hired a car and for an extra £10 got a driver and he took us to see a large mosque and to El Jem which is a more intact version of the colosseum in Rome. Then he took us home to meet his family and cooked lunch. Then on to a mate's who had a camel we could ride

The next day we took a trip to Tunis

In our spare time we explored Sousse and had fun because we just accepted that it was a different way of life.

Same with Paris - have lived there. Get off the tourist track and explore!

But then I can't bear sitting beside a pool or on a beach.
    If you do then do your homework and pick a resort which caters best for this

If you like to explore different cultures and see the real country then 'grotty' places can offer amazing experiences