Its about time resume on blu rays was an industry standard

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
Forum Member
✭✭
Sick of the growing number of blu rays that now dont resume and the time it take to load them.
You press stop and then have sometimes 3 minutes + wait untill your able to watch the film again.

Universal and that one that has a spinning gold disc on loading are the worse.

Its about time authoring of blu rays had an industry standard to always resume.

Comments

• PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have Blu Ray but I'm thinking of getting a Blu Ray player.
    I'm not sure what you mean . Do you mean when you pause the disc and then try and play it you have to wait 3 min :eek:
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having to wait 3+ minutes until your film/episode starts again is utterly outrageous! There must be more to this than you're saying in your post.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    I don't have Blu Ray but I'm thinking of getting a Blu Ray player.
    I'm not sure what you mean . Do you mean when you pause the disc and then try and play it you have to wait 3 min :eek:

Nope, if you press stop it goes back to the blu ray player menu and then when you hit play again it has the load the disc all over again. With DVD's it will resume from when you pressed stop. Not all blu rays are like this, some do resume but lately there appears to be more and more not resuming.
    Some blu rays take ages to load like universal ones and you cant skip screens you just have to wait, and wait and wait..... while screen after screen is dsplayed before you get access to the film menu.

It should be standard that they all resume, guess its just lazy menu design code or authoring or whatever its called.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    Can we get rid of trailers too? Why do you need a trailer for the movie you just bought?
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    The only blu-rays I've encountered for which this is a serious problem are the Star Wars discs. If I pause for ten minutes and my player switches to standby, I have to wait for the root menu to load , which takes a good few minutes, before asking if I want to resume.

But I've never known a disc to not resume at all, and Star Wars is the only one where there's an issue, and I've got a pretty big collection. And to be fair, I think this is just because there's so much packed on the SW blu-rays that they're quite difficult for cheap players to handle in general. A bit like how some very cheap players couldn't play Avatar, back in the day.

It definitely is an industry standard to have instant resume, though.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can we get rid of trailers too? Why do you need a trailer for the movie you just bought?

Adverts for Mars Bars are worse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    The only blu-rays I've encountered for which this is a serious problem are the Star Wars discs. If I pause for ten minutes and my player switches to standby, I have to wait for the root menu to load , which takes a good few minutes, before asking if I want to resume.

But I've never known a disc to not resume at all, and Star Wars is the only one where there's an issue, and I've got a pretty big collection. And to be fair, I think this is just because there's so much packed on the SW blu-rays that they're quite difficult for cheap players to handle in general. A bit like how some very cheap players couldn't play Avatar, back in the day.

It definitely is an industry standard to have instant resume, though.

You clearly have very few blu rays, the majority dont resume and its not an industry standard otherwise this thread would not be required.:rolleyes:

Its got nothing to do with blu rays players if a disc resumes or not its the code in the menu authoring on the blu ray.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure it's particularly clear in the OP, but this isn't about playback resuming instantly after you've paused a film (my PS3 typically takes about a second to respond in this circumstance) but about films and TV shows resuming in the same place when you come back after you've stopped watching them.

With DVD, you could stop playback, you could take the disc out of the player, and when you went to watch it again, it would start up from where it left off. Not so with almost all Blu-rays. They don't have a resume feature. So, you have to go through the tedious process of loading them up again, navigating through the trailers and menus etc, just to find where you were up to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure it's particularly clear in the OP, but this isn't about playback resuming instantly after you've paused a film (my PS3 typically takes about a second to respond in this circumstance) but about films and TV shows resuming in the same place when you come back after you've stopped watching them.

With DVD, you could stop playback, you could take the disc out of the player, and when you went to watch it again, it would start up from where it left off. Not so with almost all Blu-rays. They don't have a resume feature. So, you have to go through the tedious process of loading them up again, navigating through the trailers and menus etc, just to find where you were up to.

I did say in my opening post when a blu ray is stopped, when its paused of course its gonna resume after as your not returning to the players menu.
    I didn't expect people to get confused between stop and pause.;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Im a huge movie fan and have a pretty big blu ray collection, But I have never had any of the problems above.
    My blu rays start straight away, Even when I have pressed stop.
    I can stop a film 1/2 way in take the film out watch something else, replace the film and it starts from where it left off last time. granted that load time takes about 30 seconds but no where near the 3 minutes your taking about
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Im a huge movie fan and have a pretty big blu ray collection, But I have never had any of the problems above.
    My blu rays start straight away, Even when I have pressed stop.
    I can stop a film 1/2 way in take the film out watch something else, replace the film and it starts from where it left off last time. granted that load time takes about 30 seconds but no where near the 3 minutes your taking about

Same for me, I never have a problem.

Could it be your player is old or something?

I watch via the PS3 by the way.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member

I think thats what the OP means, and I find this annoying too. With BD you can hardly ever start a disc from where you left off if you dont watch it in one sitting, or take it out the player.
    With DVD its a very useful feature. My Panasonic BD player doesnt take as long as 3 minutes to load though.
    Forum Member
    You clearly have very few blu rays, the majority dont resume and its not an industry standard otherwise this thread would not be required.:rolleyes:

Its got nothing to do with blu rays players if a disc resumes or not its the code in the menu authoring on the blu ray.

No one else in this thread has had any real problems like this either... I have well over 100 blu-rays as well.

This is just a genuine suggestion, not having a go or anything - but I've seen you mention before that you mainly watch used blu-rays on a buy-and-sell basis. If they're used they're sometimes not going to play as well, could be that?

And regarding your point in another post, the player you're using does matter. Back in the day it was well known that certain players couldn't handle Avatar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I think thats what the OP means, and I find this annoying too. With BD you can hardly ever start a disc from where you left off if you dont watch it in one sitting, or take it out the player.
    With DVD its a very useful feature. My Panasonic BD player doesnt take as long as 3 minutes to load though.

What amazes me is a few people here that say they dont have no problems:confused: clearly they dont understand the difference betwen pausing a blu ray and stopping a blu ray.

Regardless of if a person is using a PS3 a cheap and nasty blu player or a expensive bu ray player, if the disc authoring dont have the resume facility built in it will never resume after stopping no matter what hardware you are using to play the disc on.

The 3 minutes I mentioned is the worse case scenario, as I said universal and that studio that uses the spinning gold disc on loading are the worse for this, the discs take ages to load. Some you can skip all the screens so that speeds it up but most you cant. Game of thrones and sons on anarchy are the two longest TV series I have on blu ray for load times, both take near on 3 minutes from closing disc tray to getting menu but at least with sons of anachy you get the option to continue where you left off when the disc eventually loads but guess thas only because it has a built in "season mode" facility.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its about time authoring of blu rays had an industry standard to always resume.

Good luck in your quest. I have no doubt you will work tirelessly on our behalf to overturn this current injustice.

What are your plans with regards to bringing this matter to the attention of the decision makers?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    What amazes me is a few people here that say they dont have no problems:confused: clearly they dont understand the difference betwen pausing a blu ray and stopping a blu ray.

Regardless of if a person is using a PS3 a cheap and nasty blu player or a expensive bu ray player, if the disc authoring dont have the resume facility built in it will never resume after stopping no matter what hardware you are using to play the disc on.

The 3 minutes I mentioned is the worse case scenario, as I said universal and that studio that uses the spinning gold disc on loading are the worse for this, the discs take ages to load. Some you can skip all the screens so that speeds it up but most you cant. Game of thrones and sons on anarchy are the two longest TV series I have on blu ray for load times, both take near on 3 minutes from closing disc tray to getting menu but at least with sons of anachy you get the option to continue where you left off when the disc eventually loads but guess thas only because it has a built in "season mode" facility.

no we understand what your saying, but most are saying they dont have any problems like that
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Watch the movie in one sitting - problem solved.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no we understand what your saying, but most are saying they dont have any problems like that

Well, I don't know why. The vast majority of Blu-rays don't have the resume function at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »

Yeah, I agree. More of an issue for TV shows, I think. With DVD, I would always start the next episode before stopping the disc, so that it would be easier to resume later.

It's a minor inconvenience but a retrograde step from DVD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I don't know why. The vast majority of Blu-rays don't have the resume function at all.

Pleased I am not the only one confused with some of the comments here by a few people, how can people say they dont have problems when anyone who owns even an average amount of blu rays knows blu rays very rarely resume.

But onto more serious stuff, why dont they resume, what is the logic, surely its not just lazy authoring or menu design or whatever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its the principle of it more then anything, its a backward step from DVD and considering blu ray is a new format no backstepping should happen.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doesnt happen on all but does happen on quite a few

it is annoying, yes
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Its the principle of it more then anything, its a backward step from DVD and considering blu ray is a new format no backstepping should happen.

I appreciate it could be a tad frustrating on series, but not on movies, sorry I can't see what the issue is, you don't go to the cinema and walk out halfway through to go back the next day to finish watching it, so why would you want to stop the movie and remove the disc at home.

......and yes, I know there will be occasions where you would need to stop the movie and remove the disc, but I doubt this would be on every movie you watch - in normal situations this shouldn't be a problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My understanding is that it depends on the format of the disc. BD-J (Java) discs don't support the resume function.
    Forum Member
    I appreciate it could be a tad frustrating on series, but not on movies, sorry I can't see what the issue is, you don't go to the cinema and walk out halfway through to go back the next day to finish watching it, so why would you want to stop the movie and remove the disc at home.

......and yes, I know there will be occasions where you would need to stop the movie and remove the disc, but I doubt this would be on every movie you watch - in normal situations this shouldn't be a problem.

Exactly, it can't be much of a viewing experience in the first place if the norm is to switch off halfway through for days on end. If that's the amount of time being talked about, I don't think it's really fair to criticise players or blu-rays for that as movies aren't meant to be watched that way.

And not all DVDs could do that either. Pretty much none of my DVDs resume after a switch-off (or after pressing stop) unless they're played in a blu-ray player.