Christmas TV Adverts 2012

Comments

• 37 Years37 Years Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't impressed with the John Lewis advert, seemed more like a "media studies" project.
    I bet it cost a fortune.

I'm sure it did and I would also bet that Delia and the chap whose face I recognise but can't place didn't do it for free.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    I wasn't impressed with the John Lewis advert, seemed more like a "media studies" project.
    I bet it cost a fortune.

I very much doubt that you're their target audience.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »

Maybe not.

But we do a lot of shopping in John Lewis and Waitrose.

We were in both last week. John Lewis for a Dualit toaster and Waitrose for our usual weekly shop.
  • SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    37 Years wrote: »
    I'm sure it did and I would also bet that Delia and the chap whose face I recognise but can't place didn't do it for free.

Heston Blumenthal.
    And yes, they did do it for free.
  • LoisLois Posts: 118,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    From the ones I've seen so far...

Don't like the JL Snowman one at all.

Love the M&S and the Deb's one.

Also I adore the little lad on the Matalan ad.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sallysally wrote: »
    Heston Blumenthal.
    And yes, they did do it for free.

His mince pies in Waitrose are far too expensive, Waitrose's own are the best (when they've got 'em).
  • TarotTarot Posts: 11,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fairy_ wrote: »
    I've not seen the morrisons one, what happens?

It's basically Christmas seen from a mother's point of view; having to cope with the pressures of cooking, decorations and family. It ends on a high note as she watches her family having a happy time around the table.
  • GabriellaGabriella Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love the Asda one but John Lewis is my fav with the snowman.
  • Yvo-50Yvo-50 Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the JL Snowman one until my cousin said he is trying to kill the girly snowman by buying her a hat, scarfe and gloves so she will melt :cry:
  • ugley_mattugley_matt Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    I thought the JL snowman would come back and find her all melted.

I've not seen the M&S one but does it have model in her pants? Thats Christmas, am i right fellas?
  • Invent MeridianInvent Meridian Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tarot wrote: »
    It's basically Christmas seen from a mother's point of view; having to cope with the pressures of cooking, decorations and family. It ends on a high note as she watches her family having a happy time around the table.

That sounds like the ASDA advert. Do they both use the same concept?
  • TarotTarot Posts: 11,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've just had a look at the ASDA advert and yes they are similar; the major difference is the mum in the ASDA ad seems to be in control rather than under pressure and the whole ad is realistic rather than exaggerated.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I really liked the John Lewis ad :)
  • LinusJLinusJ Posts: 438
    Forum Member

Compare and contrast:

ASDA

Morrisons

I found that the Morrisons ad was a rather depressing rip-off of the Grumpy Old Men Xmas Special, whereas ASDA was quite positive and uplifting.
    Forum Member
    That is a laugh out loud moment for me - and to all those crying 'sexist' - chill out, its an advert!!!!!

Also check out the demographics - women are a hell of a lot more into Christmas preparations than men, so the Xmas ads are just reflecting reality. Try going to one of the Christmas expos which pop up at this time of year and see just how much women outnumber men! Even the Christmas magazines you see in the supermarket are tergated at women.

With Christmas UK's Facebook page, women outnumber men 2 to 1.
  • Invent MeridianInvent Meridian Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LinusJ wrote: »

Oh dear, Christmas is depressing enough without an advert like that.

2012 is nearly at an end already, the 1990s is no longer recent. I detest everything post 2003. The only thing keeping me going is Coca-Cola but even that isn't what it used to be (I have nicknamed the drink; 'the Always', after the sadly no longer used slogan of course).

Anyway, don't worry about me, one day my mood will become positive but it is hard to be positive when one is stuck in the (much better than present) past.
  • Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is shaping up to be one of the worst bunch of Christmas adverts I can recall!:eek: The Morrisons one is particularly woeful...huge letdown as I normally like their Christmas adverts.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Christmas Go Compare one with that Louie Spence is utter ****
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »

So because some is not in 'their target audience' they are not allowed to have an opinion on it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Yvo-50 wrote: »
    I love the JL Snowman one until my cousin said he is trying to kill the girly snowman by buying her a hat, scarfe and gloves so she will melt :cry:

Don't worry. It is the opposite. :) The scarf and gloves will actually help keep her colder for longer. They only keep us hot by trapping our body heat. :)

I quite like the JS advert, although I can totally see what people mean when they say "blink". I have been interested to note when they start - my only concern is that they might grow rather tiresome as they will be on for a good 6 weeks now lol. Then again, I don't tend to watch 'live' TV much anyway.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yoshi Fan wrote: »
    This is shaping up to be one of the worst bunch of Christmas adverts I can recall!:eek: The Morrisons one is particularly woeful...huge letdown as I normally like their Christmas adverts.

I totally agree. It is like, who are these people ?, I want faces I recognise, especially with the supermarkets. Tesco especially are letting us down, unless they have ones still to be shown.
  • welshboy89welshboy89 Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    I Haven't seen the Coke advert yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving the JL snowman advert. one slight concern - did he shoplift the gift? I feel sorry for the poor shop assistant that found a snowman standing in front of her till.

Why oh why didn't he just order it on line? Much easier than that ridiculous journey he had to make to his nearest John Lewis store.
    Forum Member
    Scrimmidge wrote: »
    Why oh why didn't he just order it on line? Much easier than that ridiculous journey he had to make to his nearest John Lewis store.

Have you SEEN a snowman trying to learn how to use a smartphone? There's two hours of my life I'll never get back. Lovely clean screen at the end of it, though.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Morrisons is refereshingly cynical and yet... she says "I wouldnt have it any other way", what?