Options

People who say they can't cook

Comments

• Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not that simple. Instructions are more guidelines as not all appliances work the same or cook at the same speed etc. You have to learn what goes together, how to store different foods, thawing/defrosting things properly, measuring ingredients and using the right ones, judging how thoroughly cooked something is amongst a ton of other things. It may seem easy to you now because you know how to cook and may have learnt quickly, but not everyone is the same...

Sure, if you followed a recipe and bought the ingredients for it you might get it right first time but that doesn't mean you automatically learn how to do everything I listed.

This is true - the experienced cook takes all of this for granted.

I cooked a bolognaise sauce and left it bubbling on the hob and asked OH to cook some pasta to go with it so we could eat at 7.00pm. At 7.00pm I came home and found the cooked pasta still sitting in the hot water and was a water-logged mess. He'd followed the instructions but didn't know how to keep the pasta warm so left it in the water.

Now with only a small amount of experience you'd know not to do that, but by following the recipe alone it is a mistake that the beginner can make.
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you have to enjoy it. If you don't, or you find it a chore then you will never be a good cook.

This is definitely true too.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,658
    Forum Member
    Some people are just "natural" cooks. In my house, I am the "natural" cook - in fact many moons ago I trained to be a chef so have the skills to prepare food, but also the intuition to tackle dishes I've never made before even without much of a recipe to go by - it just feels like an instinct to me. I can time things without using a timer, and can work out the best temperature to cook something at without looking it up.

My partner on the other hand, whilst still quite a good cook, tends to panic a bit when he's in the kitchen and manages to make even dishes that I can prepare in say 15 minutes, he can make them take well over an hour. He also HAS to follow instructions and recipes to the letter as he doesn't have the instinct to do it alone. Not that I mind at all. He has skills I don't have - he's a brilliant artist. I can't even draw something right in front of me!

We can't all be good at everything!

People who won't even try get on my nerves a bit though.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    My ex never cooked me dinner once in the 16 years we were together. I couldn't cook either when we set up home but I learned the basics. Strangely enough since we split 5 years ago I've become a better cook. I now really enjoy pottering around the kitchen trying new recipes.
  • Options
    BlueZane00BlueZane00 Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    fender101 wrote: »
    What is the problem? It's only following a set of basic instructions. They seem to be ok following instructions for other things, like setting up their latest gadgets.

A lot of it is down to laziness or people just not being bothered. Yes, people can say that they're not natural cooks, but cooking is a skill. It can be practised and you can get experience. I'm rubbish at working out what flavour combinations work well, but that doesn't stop me from being able to cook.

It's also true that some recipes will assume some knowledge or experience on the part of the cook. Well, that comes with practise which some will never get if they constantly say they can't cook (or be bothered). Even the best chefs and cooks started as complete beginners.

Also, there are good cookbooks out there that cater - sorry! :o - for absolute beginners. In this day and age, the internet (through Youtube and forums) is a great resouce for learning techniques and getting advice.
  • Options
    modeyinkmodeyink Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lived with my fella 13 years and never once cooked him a single meal, not even a plate of toast.

Wait, tell a lie... I did the Xmas dinner once and he had that.

Cue all the "you're such a bad wife" comments...
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    modeyink wrote: »
    Lived with my fella 13 years and never once cooked him a single meal, not even a plate of toast.

Wait, tell a lie... I did the Xmas dinner once and he had that.

Cue all the "you're such a bad wife" comments...

Why would anyone call you a bad wife? Each partner in a relationship has different skills. Just because you couldn't cook, or didn't want to doesn't make you a bad person, i'm sure there were plenty of things you did that he didn't.

My wife hates cooking and I love it so it's natural that I prepare our meals. I on the other hand hate washing and ironing whereas she enjoys it so that's what she takes care of.

About 25 years ago she wanted to cook me a meal on my birthday...don't ask. I've never let her back in my kitchen since, which suits us both!:D
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to put it into perspective

Some Drs can give you a injection and it hurts like the devil another Dr will not hurt you at all.
    Some surgeons can stitch you up so a scar isnt seen, another one will stitch you up and you still look like you have been hit by a train years later.

Some people will have beautiful gardens and another will always have plants that die on them no matter how much they tend them.

Some people have a knack and some people no matter how hard they try can never get the hang of something.

You never see anyone say "these people who say they cannot make their own clothes" or "fix a car"

Lets face it for everything you ever want to try there are instructions for but does not mean you will be able to follow them and do the job.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats with all the sexist cooking comments? :rolleyes:

I'm a bloke and do half the cooking in our house!

well I didn't mention gender in the OP. The worst cook I know is female. She's funny. I wasn't having a rant.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bloke and I do all the cooking in our house, I really enjoy it. I also work full time and still cook meals from scratch every night which some people seem to think isn't possible.
    brangdon wrote: »

The other week I considered buying a cheese-cake packet. It turned out to need butter. I don't have any butter in the house, and haven't wanted to use any for 5 years, so I didn't bother with the packet.

:eek: Do you never make mashed potato?
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    You have to put it into perspective

Some Drs can give you a injection and it hurts like the devil another Dr will not hurt you at all.
    Some surgeons can stitch you up so a scar isnt seen, another one will stitch you up and you still look like you have been hit by a train years later.

Some people will have beautiful gardens and another will always have plants that die on them no matter how much they tend them.

Some people have a knack and some people no matter how hard they try can never get the hang of something.

You never see anyone say "these people who say they cannot make their own clothes" or "fix a car"

Lets face it for everything you ever want to try there are instructions for but does not mean you will be able to follow them and do the job.

That is generally how people learn to do anything though. I truly believe that if you have good instructions, can read, have the will to learn and the patience to persevere and practice, you can accomplish pretty much anything, including gardening, fixing a car and making your own clothes. People who say they 'haven't got the hang of something' mean that they gave up trying before they improved. Which is totally fine, of course. Life's too short to keep on at something that you don't really enjoy. But let's not pretend that this kind of defeatist attitude should apply to basic life skills, like feeding yourself and your family.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    That is generally how people learn to do anything though. I truly believe that if you have good instructions, can read, have the will to learn and the patience to persevere and practice, you can accomplish pretty much anything, including gardening, fixing a car and making your own clothes. People who say they 'haven't got the hang of something' mean that they gave up trying before they improved. Which is totally fine, of course. Life's too short to keep on at something that you don't really enjoy. But let's not pretend that this kind of defeatist attitude should apply to basic life skills, like feeding yourself and your family.

But if someone does not have a natural flair or liking for something then it becomes hard to do and a big effort everytime. Some people will never learn because they dont want to learn, others will never learn because its to hard for them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can make A THING not a dish. I don't like trying to time thingto be ready altogeter. Can do it. I can make a burger, a cake, a dish of macaroni or lasange. A steak. At a push I can maybe time some chips with it but to many complications and it all goes wrong
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well I didn't mention gender in the OP. The worst cook I know is female. She's funny. I wasn't having a rant.

Sorry, i wasn't talking about your post.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    But if someone does not have a natural flair or liking for something then it becomes hard to do and a big effort everytime. Some people will never learn because they dont want to learn, others will never learn because its to hard for them.

I'm talking about basic cooking here, not a three-course Michelin-starred meal. What is 'too hard' about chopping some meat and vegetables up and stir-frying them, for example?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Everyone's got to start somewhere. Once you've got the basics sorted you can apply them to whatever recipe you fancy. If you can read, you can learn to cook. :)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm talking about basic cooking here, not a three-course Michelin-starred meal. What is 'too hard' about chopping some meat and vegetables up and stir-frying them, for example?
    My dad didn't to any cooking until my mam died. He's now the stir fry king. He's also not too shabby at stews or a full roast dinner.
  • Options
    Hitchhiker553Hitchhiker553 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people should be able to make at least 5 meals. That can then easily be expanded as plenty of dishes are very similar to prepare.

5 good meals for a beginner to learn.

Chilli con carne, spaghetti bolognaise, roast chicken with boiled potatoes and 2 veg and gravy, full english breakfast and chicken or beef cassarole,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aye those are good basics to start with, not too tricky. I'd add home made soups to the list. If you can make a good pot of soup you'll never be stuck. Freeze in portions, serve with some nice bread and you have a quick healthy meal on a budget.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nothing is to hard for me I love cooking but I do know people who just dont "get" it They follow a recipe and it always turns out wrong.
    Some with many other things some people "have" it some never acquire it
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the problem? It's only following a set of basic instructions. They seem to be ok following instructions for other things, like setting up their latest gadgets.

Cook, as in, making a meal? Or, cook, as in, putting ingredients together to make a cake? Some people are quite hopeless at using their judgement in order to decide when something's cooked enough or not. Use your sight and a knife to find out whether something's cooked enough. I can't understand how people can't cook either, but then again, I think I'm a very good cook. Learn by your mistakes and you'll cook the same things to perfection. If using the cooker, different times for different things. Don't boil the backside off things until they're totally soft and limp, but just enough so that what you've got cooking is quite edible. Not sure what you specifically meant, but I thought I'd put this down anyway.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    Do you never make mashed potato?
    Never. I'm not keen on them; mashing is what you do when boiling them went wrong.

I don't have butter in sandwiches, either. Or anything else. I don't see the point; it's not necessary, and it's fattening.
    What is 'too hard' about chopping some meat and vegetables up and stir-frying them, for example?
    I can manage that. Albeit I don't have a wok, so for me "stir-frying" isn't much different to frying. One of the difficulties is knowing what words like that actually mean. Another is knowing what the temperature should be and how to maintain it. Meat needs to be cooked well, and if you get it wrong you could poison someone; fear of failure is another reason people don't want to try.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    Never. I'm not keen on them; mashing is what you do when boiling them went wrong.

I don't have butter in sandwiches, either. Or anything else. I don't see the point; it's not necessary, and it's fattening.

I can manage that. Albeit I don't have a wok, so for me "stir-frying" isn't much different to frying. One of the difficulties is knowing what words like that actually mean. Another is knowing what the temperature should be and how to maintain it. Meat needs to be cooked well, and if you get it wrong you could poison someone; fear of failure is another reason people don't want to try.

Very few meats need to be cooked "well". Chicken is one that springs to mind but even pork can now be served pink.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very few meats need to be cooked "well". Chicken is one that springs to mind but even pork can now be served pink.
    That is yet another bit of expertise that newcomers will lack. (For what's worth, my own stir-frying is mainly done with chicken.)
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Years ago when there were no such things as microwave dinners or takeaways most parents managed to get a dinner on the table for their kids every day. It mightn't have been fabulous cooking but it was usually edible. I think there's very few people who 'can't' cook, but I agree that some people have a flair for it and some don't. However, most people are perfectly capable of learning a few basic recipes and cooking skills. As my mum always says "If you can read, you can cook".

I imagine all the cookery programmes on telly nowadays with chefs knocking up gorgeous looking food in a few minutes has intimidated some people into thinking cooking is some kind of art form, and you either have the talent or you don't. And, of course, some people are just lazy and can't be bothered. And some people nearly make a virtue out of not being able to cook 'oh I'm far too busy/interesting/quirky to be able to do anything so boring...'