Options

Doc Martin (Part 16 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Unlikely Biffpup because if it shows up on a scan done hours ago it's probably too late. It will be hilarious to see how wrong we are! Can't wait

What do you mean Mofromco?
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Contrary to what we heard about the sets being removed from the barn at the end of shooting, this today on FB from Ian Fuller:

I am pretty confident that there will be a series 7. The studio is not being dismantled so that is a good sign. I will ask Martin face to face at the party.

Ian and his wife live in PI and have been extras going back to at least S3 - if not further. This year he also worked with production a bit. He never gives up any storylines but it is fun to hear little details of being around the production for so long. He is referring to the wrap party but he won't say where or when. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    You might be over thinking the whole runway thing (we would NEVER do that!) although filming there a few days after filming at the airport is curious. I think they have used that closed airport a couple of times because some of the old runways look just like roads in the area - in fact, one road still in use runs right through the middle of the field. You can explore around it on Google satellite and also street view. So I think they sometimes use it for scenes on the road so they don't need to worry about traffic or closing roads. So it really could be anything.
    Overthinking it? Moi? ;) Yes, sometimes I let my imagination run away. Could be that they used that area for filming of the ride to the hospital, or something else.

Thanks for the info, btw. They do like to film in that area, don't they? I took a look via google streetview and went along the road that runs through it. You can see that the old runways are in terrible, crumbly condition. There are spots where there are sheep grazing between the road and an old runway! At least they weren't in the road like one was a few months ago when I did the google streetview thing of the road leading to Roughtor.

Now I'll have to watch for that road or area when I rewatch previous episodes.
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    What do you mean Mofromco?
    I am beginning to wonder if this sequence of events is anything like we are proposing. An epidural hemorrhage is usually caused by a traumatic rupture of the temporal artery causing an accumulation of blood between the skull and the lining of the brain. These occur rapidly and are frequently fatal. The person is usually deteriorating rapidly. Unlikely.a subdural bleed is between the dura , the lining of the brain and the brain itself. These tend to be slower and when diagnosed on scan may even observed depending on the condition of the patient. They can frequent stop by them self and are just left alone . Abused children frequently have old subdural hemorrhages. My stepson had a subdural after a skateboarding accident that required no intervention but he was in no condition to do anything except howl about the worst headache in his life in a hospital bed. I guess what I am saying is if you were able to SEE a subdural on a scan..MRI..CT...whatever...the person would be symptomatic and unlikely be at the airport. I guess a subdural is a long shot but I don't think she would be allowed to wait at the airport for the Doc. She'd be in an ambulance, put there by airport staff. How about this sequence....car accident, first aid on site, go to the hospital, get scans done, go home, take Mummy to airport..oh I don't know... I just say if you see a brain bleed on a scan the patient is going to show it's there symptomatically and possibly on the way to dying if it's a while later
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    I was thinking...
    With Louisa's injuries is that normal for a car accident? I am talking the arm and the face. Her arm can't be broken as it's not in a cast, but it seems sprained. Also how would you get a bruise on your face? Most cars have air bags - they tend to cause burns not bruises right? And there is the suspected internal injuries. A air bag would have stopped that
    right? I was thinking how about she is a passenger, or what if she was hit by a car? Not a fast car, as she would have more substantial injuries. What do you think?

If she was a passenger then she might have hit her face on the dash or the window etc, and put her arm out to stop her - resulting in the sprain... but that doesn't explain the internal injuries... A seat belt would have stopped it perhaps. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Overthinking it? Moi? ;) Yes, sometimes I let my imagination run away. Could be that they used that area for filming of the ride to the hospital, or something else.

Thanks for the info, btw. They do like to film in that area, don't they? I took a look via google streetview and went along the road that runs through it. You can see that the old runways are in terrible, crumbly condition. There are spots where there are sheep grazing between the road and an old runway! At least they weren't in the road like one was a few months ago when I did the google streetview thing of the road leading to Roughtor.

Now I'll have to watch for that road or area when I rewatch previous episodes.
    Maybe they film around the new airport everything they can then they go to the old airport to fill in the infill stuff in more privacy?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    It would certainly be the end of the show as we know it, but perhaps BP wants to be rid of their terrible frustration over the Doc/Louisa relationship - the fans want it to be the centerpiece of the show, but BP never did.

I don't think it is true that the production company did not want the love story to be center stage - I think that is why they parted ways with Minghella -
    There are much more palatable;) ways to resolve the frustration with the relationship
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/culture/television/8959321/Clunes-makes-The-Town-watchable

"A big old woolly jumper incarnate" ??? Egad, what is it we don't get about critics' reaction to MC? Is this really the way that they think he is thought of?

Cookie is right...guys don't get it and they feel they have to be deprecating to cover their twinge of "jealousy" and lack of understanding. I am a big Moody Blues fan since I was in college in the 70's. There was a journalist who said he hated Justin Hayward just because he WAS Justin Hayward! Same deal. Wooly Jumper indeed...tosser
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am beginning to wonder if this sequence of events is anything like we are proposing. An epidural hemorrhage is usually caused by a traumatic rupture of the temporal artery causing an accumulation of blood between the skull and the lining of the brain. These occur rapidly and are frequently fatal. The person is usually deteriorating rapidly. Unlikely.a subdural bleed is between the dura , the lining of the brain and the brain itself. These tend to be slower and when diagnosed on scan may even observed depending on the condition of the patient. They can frequent stop by them self and are just left alone . Abused children frequently have old subdural hemorrhages. My stepson had a subdural after a skateboarding accident that required no intervention but he was in no condition to do anything except howl about the worst headache in his life in a hospital bed. I guess what I am saying is if you were able to SEE a subdural on a scan..MRI..CT...whatever...the person would be symptomatic and unlikely be at the airport. I guess a subdural is a long shot but I don't think she would be allowed to wait at the airport for the Doc. She'd be in an ambulance, put there by airport staff. How about this sequence....car accident, first aid on site, go to the hospital, get scans done, go home, take Mummy to airport..oh I don't know... I just say if you see a brain bleed on a scan the patient is going to show it's there symptomatically and possibly on the way to dying if it's a while later
    My dh hit his head Monday. Left for work early Tuesday (so I didn't see his head) for a 3 day trip working in the bush. He had a headache but he had a hangover for the first time in 20 years and thought it was just hangover symptoms. He came home thursday night & i saw his head and told him to go to dr. But he was determined to go away again friday morning but his boss didnt think he looked too well so they sent him to the hospital. He was admitted with complete bedrest for 7 days. He slept 23/24 hrs for three days and I was worried but drs said it was the brain protecting itself. He doesn't remember the fall or the first few days of hospital at all. Point is it doesn't have to be sudden! I guess it depends on how stubborn you are!

Remember Natasha Richardson who hit her head in a skiing accident walked away feeling fine but later got a headache and died.

There might be enough variation of symptoms in real life to make it plausible?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cookie is right...guys don't get it and they feel they have to be deprecating to cover their twinge of "jealousy" and lack of understanding. I am a big Moody Blues fan since I was in college in the 70's. There was a journalist who said he hated Justin Hayward just because he WAS Justin Hayward! Same deal. Wooly Jumper indeed...tosser

Lol :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    You might be over thinking the whole runway thing (we would NEVER do that!) although filming there a few days after filming at the airport is curious. I think they have used that closed airport a couple of times because some of the old runways look just like roads in the area - in fact, one road still in use runs right through the middle of the field. You can explore around it on Google satellite and also street view. So I think they sometimes use it for scenes on the road so they don't need to worry about traffic or closing roads. So it really could be anything.
    Maybe LG is flying to Spain with the MIL from hell and James because she had a dust up with DM. DM hasnt told LG yet how evil MIL from hell is. DM finds out LGs leaving him and he rushes to the airport to stop her. LG twists her ankle (or better yet has a heart attack) as she spins around to listen to his third "I was wrong..." speech and he has to carry her to the hospital.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My dh hit his head Monday. Left for work early Tuesday (so I didn't see his head) for a 3 day trip working in the bush. He had a headache but he had a hangover for the first time in 20 years and thought it was just hangover symptoms. He came home thursday night & i saw his head and told him to go to dr. But he was determined to go away again friday morning but his boss didnt think he looked too well so they sent him to the hospital. He was admitted with complete bedrest for 7 days. He slept 23/24 hrs for three days and I was worried but drs said it was the brain protecting itself. He doesn't remember the fall or the first few days of hospital at all. Point is it doesn't have to be sudden! I guess it depends on how stubborn you are!

Remember Natasha Richardson who hit her head in a skiing accident walked away feeling fine but later got a headache and died.

Unlikely and/or rarely, but this is Port Wenn after all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/culture/television/8959321/Clunes-makes-The-Town-watchable

"A big old woolly jumper incarnate" ??? Egad, what is it we don't get about critics' reaction to MC? Is this really the way that they think he is thought of?

'Scuze me - what the hell is a big old woolly jumper incarnate?
    I think I recall that jumper is a sweater (?), so they are saying that MC is like your grandma's ugliest old sweater.
    Oh, my, you are so right, they just don't get it. I think the thing that makes him so sexy is that he seems to have such self confidence - and of course that smile, and that voice, and if some of those "special scenes" in W&M or dDirty Tricks have any resemblance to real life - WELLLLLL, I am swooning and panting just thinking about it.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe LG is flying to Spain with the MIL from hell and James because she had a dust up with DM. DM hasnt told LG yet how evil MIL from hell is. DM finds out LGs leaving him and he rushes to the airport to stop her. LG twists her ankle (or better yet has a heart attack) as she spins around to listen to his third "I was wrong..." speech and he has to carry her to the hospital.
    Personally, I myself will have a heart attack if I have to listen to a third I was wrong speech.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    Unlikely and/or rarely, but this is Port Wenn after
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The brain hemorrhage thing just doesn't fit....let's give it up. If it's bad enough to show up on a scan it's really bad. I mentioned Natasha Richardson...Liam Neeson's wife in my previous post I thought. She developed an epidural bleed and was dead in hours or didn't I make myself clear? I thought I did. Right.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it is true that the production company did not want the love story to be center stage - I think that is why they parted ways with Minghella -
    There are much more palatable;) ways to resolve the frustration with the relationship

No one knows why MInghella left, but we do know he had a difficult relationship with MC.

I am one of those rooting for the love story - not to the exclusion of everything else - but I want them together in a happier way - in a way that can at least occasionally bring out the boy in DM and the fun in Louisa.

BP was not prepared for the popularity of Louisa and the public's interest in the romance - and has held the belief that the Doc and Louisa getting together will be boring and possibly the end of the show. So they have found ways to stymie that: the non-wedding and break-up, Edith, the baby, Eleanor, the Doc curing his hemohobia and returning to surgery. In S4 and 5 DM and LG didn't even touch each other in an affectionate way until the series' finales. And in S5 they made the Doc more cold, more unlovable, as Martin pushed grumpiness to a new level.

So IMO the romantic relationship has been both an opportunity and a problem for BP. I'm curious about how they address it in S6. I'd rather have them unmarried with an occasional romantic look, glance, or touch - than married with LG shrill and the Doc stone cold.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    A lady had some pictures taken of her and MC today. He is wearing the same suit as when he rushes to get Louisa. So perhaps filming a few things from that day. I heard they where filming in Port Ga...something or other. Might be at the police station - Penhale might be dropping him off after the hospital. Or he might be picking JH up from Penhale (im guessing Penhale takes JH while Louisa and the Doc are busy with the hospital thingy...

Just my thoughts of cause.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one knows why MInghella left, but we do know he had a difficult relationship with MC.

I am one of those rooting for the love story - not to the exclusion of everything else - but I want them together in a happier way - in a way that can at least occasionally bring out the boy in DM and the fun in Louisa.

BP was not prepared for the popularity of Louisa and the public's interest in the romance - and has held the belief that the Doc and Louisa getting together will be boring and possibly the end of the show. So they have found ways to stymie that: the non-wedding and break-up, Edith, the baby, Eleanor, the Doc curing his hemohobia and returning to surgery. In S4 and 5 DM and LG didn't even touch each other in an affectionate way until the series' finales. And in S5 they made the Doc more cold, more unlovable, as Martin pushed grumpiness to a new level.

So IMO the romantic relationship has been both an opportunity and a problem for BP. I'm curious about how they address it in S6. I'd rather have them unmarried with an occasional romantic look, glance, or touch - than married with LG shrill and the Doc stone cold.

Excellent post statesidefan...I have just finished watching S4 and S5 with the pure purpose of observing and listening to the Doc's and Louisa's bedroom scenes..totally chaste..and their conversations. Louisa was a complete b$&ch and put of her mind to the point of needing institutionalization. You could make a list of the nice things DM did, despite his entirely flat affect. It was not very fun to watch. I agree with you. The challenge is for the characters to reconcile their differences but still retain an edge dramatically. Hopefully no "My Three Sons" or such.

I guess I could settle for some sex and nudity on MC front. That would keep my interest, but I think they will have to find a way to keep the general audience's interest without descending into banality.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent post statesidefan...I have just finished watching S4 and S5 with the pure purpose of observing and listening to the Doc's and Louisa's bedroom scenes..totally chaste..and their conversations. Louisa was a complete b$&ch and put of her mind to the point of needing institutionalization. You could make a list of the nice things DM did, despite his entirely flat affect. It was not very fun to watch. I agree with you. The challenge is for the characters to reconcile their differences but still retain an edge dramatically. Hopefully no "My Three Sons" or such.

I guess I could settle for some sex and nudity on MC front. That would keep my interest, but I think they will have to find a way to keep the general audience's interest without descending into banality.

Um, Mofromco, was that a Freudian slip in the last paragraph?;)

(Shame on me.)
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hi, statesidefan! I've never read or heard anything regarding Minghella and MC having a difficult time. Can you (or anyone) point me to an article (or whatever) I may have missed regarding this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You hit the nail on the head with your sentence above in bold. If they can have LG and DM married and yet absolutely maintain our interest, they will have succeeded in not "jumping the shark" as so many other shows unfortunately have done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Scuze me - what the hell is a big old woolly jumper incarnate?
    I think I recall that jumper is a sweater (?), so they are saying that MC is like your grandma's ugliest old sweater.
    Oh, my, you are so right, they just don't get it. I think the thing that makes him so sexy is that he seems to have such self confidence - and of course that smile, and that voice, and if some of those "special scenes" in W&M or dDirty Tricks have any resemblance to real life - WELLLLLL, I am swooning and panting just thinking about it.

I think the "big old woolly jumper incarnate" phrase is used as MC playing sort of a big teddy bear--comforting, warm, cuddly, lovey, etc. in some productions. Like his roles in W&M, A Mother's Son, Losing It, The Man Who Lost His Head,, and the documentaries when he's just him. That's how I took it anyhow. And it seems to highlight the fact that he took on a very different persona for The Town role.

BTW, "swooning and panting"-- I can relate to that!!!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member

+1,000
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lady had some pictures taken of her and MC today. He is wearing the same suit as when he rushes to get Louisa. So perhaps filming a few things from that day. I heard they where filming in Port Ga...something or other. Might be at the police station - Penhale might be dropping him off after the hospital. Or he might be picking JH up from Penhale (im guessing Penhale takes JH while Louisa and the Doc are busy with the hospital thingy...

Just my thoughts of cause.
    Could be. I assume they don't necessarily film scenes in sequence. Maybe we'll hear or see more from folks at Port Gaverne. Are the photos at FB? I'll go take a look.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.