Only Connect (BBC2)

Comments

• EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shaving Ryan's Privates on O.C.

They've had a few racy questions this series.

I was so hoping Schindler's Fist was going to be one of them. Bloody letdowns.
  • Quantum CatQuantum Cat Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the Boredgamers got the sports shots category wrong, so was surprised when she said the maximum 10 points at the end :confused:

the answer was highest trajectory and they didn't say anything close.

They didn't say 'prayers' either. FIX!!

and what is Jamie wearing around his neck?!!! ^_^
  • Quantum CatQuantum Cat Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is there going to be third place playoffs next week?
  • xendesktopxendesktop Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is there going to be third place playoffs next week?

Yes. In the new format the board gamers will be taking part.
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Has there been a single baking related question when the Bakers have been on?
    No but he did get a question about Crystal Maze which he was a big fan of. I think some of you are a bit fixated about the team names. Remember the 'Francophiles' in the last series barely knew where France was, and what are you supposed to do about say, the Lasletts? Anybody is allowed to have some knowledge of board games and I would say the majority of people would have played them during their lives whereas fewer, I would say, would have done any baking. It's also difficult to think of what they might ask about buns or cakes.
  • TregardTregard Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    It's pretty ridiculous people claiming that Freecell question was rigged in the favour of the Board Gamers, considering clues 2 and 3 weren't games at all.

Just seems like a lot of people sour that a team they didn't like won and attempting to claim it was rigged in their favour. I agree VCM has been lenient in some of her points giving, but it has never proved crucial enough to see them win a game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the Boredgamers got the sports shots category wrong, so was surprised when she said the maximum 10 points at the end :confused:

the answer was highest trajectory and they didn't say anything close.
    While the expected love-in with the gamers left a bad taste in the mouth I thought they described the sports terms better than the official answer, which didn't fit particularly well. They did say "longest" and VCM said it was hitting the ball "as far as you can" which is the same thing, while sixes in cricket can be quite flat when I hit them.

That said I don't think they really got the prayers or the very first music question accurately enough for a final.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    atg wrote: »
    No but he did get a question about Crystal Maze which he was a big fan of. I think some of you are a bit fixated about the team names. Remember the 'Francophiles' in the last series barely knew where France was, and what are you supposed to do about say, the Lasletts? Anybody is allowed to have some knowledge of board games and I would say the majority of people would have played them during their lives whereas fewer, I would say, would have done any baking. It's also difficult to think of what they might ask about buns or cakes.

Yes but they did get a specific question about a specific game they had already mentioned being fans of which very few other people have heard of!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    And oh look, a maths question. This is getting silly.
    Why is asking a maths question silly?

Spookily however, there was a question about differential calculus on University Challenge too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xendesktop wrote: »
    Yes. In the new format the board gamers will be taking part.
    Against the Stainers! Sorry, sorry, think I nodded off and was having a nightmare there. :(
  • TregardTregard Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Yes but they did get a specific question about a specific game they had already mentioned being fans of which very few other people have heard of!

Over 15 million copies of Settlers of Catan have been sold across the world, it is one of the most well known board games in the world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tregard wrote: »
    Over 15 million copies of Settlers of Catan have been sold across the world, it is one of the most well known board games in the world.

This isn't an international quiz though. How many have been sold over here??
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am sure that if I asked person who I spoke to or otherwise in contact then it is unlikely any would have heard of it. It will appeal to a narrow range of a particular type person.

I think there is a bit of exaggeration with how well known it is, there must be dozens of better known board games worldwide.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I am sure that if I asked person who I spoke to or otherwise in contact then it is unlikely any would have heard of it. It will appeal to a narrow range of a particular type person.
    Yes, the type of person who tends to want to go on tv quiz programmes.

What sorts of questions on baking could be asked? Wasn't there a picture of a Dundee cake in one of the picture rounds once? That's about the limit of it really.
  • davidboddavidbod Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    Actually, there was a baking question earlier this series (about ingredients in bread) though the Bakers didn't get that one. And though it's hard to include cuisine clues in connections like "Left-handed things" or "They wear black shirts", I tried to ensure we had a at least a couple of food questions per series.

Re: Settlers, what you might term "European-style" board games are going through something of a sales resurgence at the moment. If you need to learn more about them, a great place to start is http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidbod wrote: »
    Actually, there was a baking question earlier this series (about ingredients in bread) though the Bakers didn't get that one. And though it's hard to include cuisine clues in connections like "Left-handed things" or "They wear black shirts", I tried to ensure we had a at least a couple of food questions per series.

Re: Settlers, what you might term "European-style" board games are going through something of a sales resurgence at the moment. If you need to learn more about them, a great place to start is http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/

What a horrible name for a website. Haha. I should say that I own Settlers and my Mum even got the question about it from only playing it twice. However I just think it is unfortunate that the question appeared in an episode featuring the Board Gamers who had specifically mentioned it being one of their favourites a couple of times.
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do people seriously believe the show was manipulated for the boardgamers to win? The format of the show means they return again and again anyway.

It's always been full of esoteric questions that only those with an interest would have any chance of answering. If the Bakers had been fans of the Avengers would there have still been shouts of fix?
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't buy into any idea that the questions were rigged in their favour, but they were given a very odd degree of leniency on a lot of questions. Part of that stems from the way they answered questions - most teams confer amongst themselves and then present their answer, whereas the Boardgamers were allowed to just waffle on about anything they knew about anything to do with any of the clues until they hit on something that Victoria would accept.

In fact, she was almost apologetic on one question last night, saying that she couldn't make their answer fit.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy into any idea that the questions were rigged in their favour, but they were given a very odd degree of leniency on a lot of questions. Part of that stems from the way they answered questions - most teams confer amongst themselves and then present their answer, whereas the Boardgamers were allowed to just waffle on about anything they knew about anything to do with any of the clues until they hit on something that Victoria would accept.

In fact, she was almost apologetic on one question last night, saying that she couldn't make their answer fit.

That's very true. I noticed it last night for the first time. It's just the way Jamie speaks.
    I hope he doesn't do that on the ward.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If poplar board games was ever a question on Pointless then I'm sure "Settlers of Catan" would have been a winning answer. It's hardly Monopoly or Snakes and Ladders is it?
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »
    That's very true. I noticed it last night for the first time. It's just the way Jamie speaks.
    I hope he doesn't do that on the ward.

Yeah. Hope he doesn't present a whole list of diagnoses until he finds one that fits the symptoms.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    Yeah. Hope he doesn't present a whole list of diagnoses until he finds one that fits the symptoms.

Based on their Connections Board technique, he'd just poke parts of the body at random until the patient screams.
  • Bryant N MayBryant N May Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do people seriously believe the show was manipulated for the boardgamers to win? The format of the show means they return again and again anyway.

It's always been full of esoteric questions that only those with an interest would have any chance of answering. If the Bakers had been fans of the Avengers would there have still been shouts of fix?

Agree with all this. I can't see why the BBC should 'fix' a quiz anyway.

While Victoria was undoubtedly more lenient with the Boardgamers throughout the series and a few other things went their way, in the end they won fair and square. They were particular good at the missing vowels round and unlike some teams they has more than one person contributing to that. Still terrible on the wall though even though they solved it this time.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking about changes for the next BBC2 series, how about having the ability to "buzz in" on one of your opponents questions?

K
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »

"Erm...something to do with illness...erm...the head....err..."

"That's exactly correct - Pseudotumor cerebri - 10 Points"