Options

Ten people a week harassed by TV Licenseing

Comments

• Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    cyril-furr wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_in_New_Zealand

New Zealand are well ahead of the UK & have already got shot of their TV licence, The Gestapo-like behavour of their "Officers" saw to that & the result is not at all like your prediction - much better broadcasting with more choice, than it currently is here, I understand:p

New Zealand's TV has nowhere near the choice of ours.

Much better broadcasting? Do you believe what you've just put?

My "prediction" is based on something much closer to home than your example - Ireland.

Not only that but I know the current government have started the process of allocating TV licence money to the private sector. They're not going to go back on that.

You're campaign will only lead you to something worse than what we have now
  • Options
    fast forwardfast forward Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also try to abide with the forum T&Cs & try not to directly insult other users of Digital spy or use foul language within my posts.

But you're quite happy to throw insults around against TV Licensing employees and people who work for the BBC. And when you're on another forum, well.....

And what's this then?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=71244644&postcount=59

or is the language OK 'cos of the "***"? You must admit it is "foul language" or you wouldn't have used the "***". No-one made you say that.
  • Options
    cyril-furrcyril-furr Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you're quite happy to throw insults around against TV Licensing employees and people who work for the BBC. And when you're on another forum, well.....

And what's this then?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=71244644&postcount=59

or is the language OK 'cos of the "***"? You must admit it is "foul language" or you wouldn't have used the "***". No-one made you say that.

Ah, mr Fast forward - the opposite of "Slow Motion" - :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    New Zealand's TV has nowhere near the choice of ours.

Much better broadcasting? Do you believe what you've just put?

My "prediction" is based on something much closer to home than your example - Ireland.

Not only that but I know the current government have started the process of allocating TV licence money to the private sector. They're not going to go back on that.

You're campaign will only lead you to something worse than what we have now

They could use the money to dredge the rivers - that would do more good, than anything the BBC does:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They could use the money to dredge the rivers - that would do more good, than anything the BBC does:p

As usual you cannot answer any questions put to you....

I hate to say this, because I expect you are a good guy really, but are you just trolling?

To proclaim what you proclaimed about New Zealand television is, frankly, bizarre.
  • Options
    Monty_HallMonty_Hall Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's wrong with NZ TV?
  • Options
    mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    How much contact have you had with TV Licensing, for me it's just a yearly reminder and receipt for payment. By the way Capita is a company.

Have TV licensing taken you to court?

Were you traumatised when young by being made to watch episodes of Eldorado and have never forgiven the BBC? Maybe it was episodes of Crossroads on ITV and you blame the BBC for not having alternative programming?

I cancelled my license, as I'd stopped watching tv, several years ago. I had considerable difficulty with tv licensing, including offensive letters and an inspector calling while I was out, who spoke to a neighbour, telling him to urge me to get a license pronto as they knew I was watching tv (which I wasn't)or they'd be prosecuting me. I've posted the whole story here in the past.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »
    There is a big difference. ITV knowingly and deliberately defrauded people out of money. Millions of pounds of money.

The BBC did a bit of that, and threatening innocent people with prosecution isn't nice, and probably a crime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect capita do as well. Just as they lobbied for things like the Congestion Charge. So in both cases it is a subcontractor doing a job on behalf of someone else, even if they lobbied and support that system. The BBC subcontract the BBC and the BBC subcontract Capita. There is no difference. Yet the anti-BBC people blame the BBC solely and refuse to accept that it is the government who made the rules, made the law and ordered the BBC to enforce the licence.

While you refuse to accept the BBC has any responsibility for the license.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know people who have emigrated to NZ and they love it. The single thing they didn't like and that they missed about the UK was the television. TV in NZ is crap.

Your "I understand" makes it clear you don't know the facts and just make stuff up.

Is there a popular campaign in NZ to restore the tv licence?
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,016
    Forum Member
    mRebel wrote: »
    I cancelled my license, as I'd stopped watching tv, several years ago. I had considerable difficulty with tv licensing, including offensive letters and an inspector calling while I was out, who spoke to a neighbour, telling him to urge me to get a license pronto as they knew I was watching tv (which I wasn't)or they'd be prosecuting me. I've posted the whole story here in the past.

So the last time you had any dealings with TVL is years ago.
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not that I know of, but when New Zealanders are asked to name their top five TV favourites they seem to name nothing but British and American shows, and that can't be a good sign...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC did a bit of that, and threatening innocent people with prosecution isn't nice, and probably a crime.

You have evidence the BBC deliberately and knowingly threatened innocent people? I assume you have gone to the police with your evidence...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While you refuse to accept the BBC has any responsibility for the license.

Why do you refuse to accept that it is the government who are ultimately responsible?

BBC contracts Capita, You: "It's the BBC responsible! They contract Capita and pull the strings!"

Government contracts the BBC, You: "It's the BBC responsible! They actually do it!"

Can you spot the logical flaw in this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that I know of, but when New Zealanders are asked to name their top five TV favourites they seem to name nothing but British and American shows, and that can't be a good sign...

The Programmes were much the same BEFORE the licence was scrapped, New Zealanders are now not FORCED by threats to pay for them now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course not:):p
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I had one that talked to me neighbour, that is how I know he been here three times at least. But they did not tell them to tell me to get a Tv licence, my Neighbour just approached them to ask who they was, doing what i asked her to do when I am at work and she sees anyone coming here.

The TVL bloke just told my next door neighbour who he was and my neighbour told him that I don't watch TV. My neighbour only really questioned him because he was looking though my living room window.

He would see a nice big 42 inch Tv and a rolled up aerial cable on the windowsill
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I had one that talked to me neighbour, that is how I know he been here three times at least. But they did not tell them to tell me to get a Tv licence, my Neighbour just approached them to ask who they was, doing what i asked her to do when I am at work and she sees anyone coming here.

The TVL bloke just told my next door neighbour who he was and my neighbour told him that I don't watch TV. My neighbour only really questioned him because he was looking though my living room window.

He would see a nice big 42 inch Tv and a rolled up aerial cable on the windowsill

These Capita salesmen, are known to be very nosy:)....£20 bonus if they get a licence sale, £20 bonus if their "Statement" (confession)taken, leads to a successful prosecution.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    These Capita salesmen, are known to be very nosy:)....£20 bonus if they get a licence sale, £20 bonus if their "Statement" (confession)taken, leads to a successful prosecution.

Have you been taken to court for not having a TV licence?

How often are you in communication with TVL?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »

So you have never spoken to the TVL rep, only your neighbour has?

Have you been taken to court by TVL?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Monty_Hall wrote: »
    What's wrong with NZ TV?

Nothing, but that is NOT what i asked Cyrill - good try at the defensive twist though - a Cornucopic maneover.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Programmes were much the same BEFORE the licence was scrapped, New Zealanders are now not FORCED by threats to pay for them now.

As in very little original content?

So, not much loss there then....?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Have you been taken to court for not having a TV licence?

How often are you in communication with TVL?

If you have better experiance or knowledge of TVL, what is your source? My knowledge tells me not to communicate with them in ANY way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you have better experiance or knowledge of TVL, what is your source? My knowledge tells me not to communicate with them in ANY way.

Did you register for Digital Spy?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    As in very little original content?

So, not much loss there then....?

Correct, they are - as the UK "WILL" be better off in many ways without the TVL.

If the BBC can exist on "unforced" subscriptions - then no problem there, encryption should not be needed.... you claim that "People" Love the BBC, if so, those that want it will join the line & pay for it.
    Yes, the BBC will not get quite so much money in, but their costs will have dropped by a huge degree, as they will no longer require the services of the mighty Capita PLC - & a lot less people will not be clogging up the courts & being made into criminals - a human Win, Win.

When it comes to Platform fees (Freeview, SKY & Freesat) The commercial companies will pay their dues, as they do now, the BBC will fund it's payments, from the Subscriptions so willingly paid by those millions that want the BBC to continue......:D

If the government still want the 5% or so they divert from the TVL for the broadband expansion, it would be more honest & accountable to have a levy tax on the ISP's - No ISP, no broadband connection - simple:)