One Direction fans send homophobic death threats to Nick Grimshaw

Comments

• Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AOTB wrote: »
    1D are a bunch of talentles pop puppets who's success is based on nothing more than a sound marketing/ PR campaign aimed at the young 'don't know any better' types and the easily led.

Am I right? I'm not wrong.

Come at me Directioners, let's see what you've got! :p

:o

For the second time in history, I actually agree with you. I'll try not to make a habit of it ;-)

1D could have been any 5 puppets, desperate for fame and they just happened to be in the right place at the right time with the right backing.
    I know I'm a million miles away from their target market (though worryingly, I've seen women not far removed from my age swoon over them *shudder*) but I just don't get it. IMO, they're so average and mediocre, they make Westlife seem cutting edge. To call them vanilla and beige would actually be giving them too much praise.

I'm not a boyband fan at all and never have been but I can see the appeal of of the likes of Take That, N Sync, Backstreet Boys etc in their day but, this lot, just leave me cold
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why?

do you think a death threat from a silly teenager is serious

or anyone on twiitter?

do killers have twitter accounts?

@mafia?

Way to miss the point.

Sending death threats is against the law, whether you mean it or not. Not to mention the alleged homophobic aspects.

I doubt anyone actually believes Nick Grimshaw's life is in danger from these people, but it's entirely out of order to send such messages to someone, whether you intend to act on it or not.
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    :o

For the second time in history, I actually agree with you. I'll try not to make a habit of it ;-)

Ha ha, it was worth me posting that for this alone! My mission now is to make it to number 3 Blondie. You never know- stranger things have happened. ;-)

I've had a surprising lack of death threats from the Directioners so far, but give it time. If DS doesn't hear from me for a couple of days, send out the SOS call! :o

(ps I'm with you on Take That, but shh, don't tell anyone, I've gotta try and keep up appearances you know..)
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AOTB wrote: »
    Ha ha, it was worth me posting that for this alone! My mission now is to make it to number 3 Blondie. You never know- stranger things have happened. ;-)

I've had a surprising lack of death threats from the Directioners so far, but give it time. If DS doesn't hear from me for a couple of days, send out the SOS call! :o

(ps I'm with you on Take That, but shh, don't tell anyone, I've gotta try and keep up appearances you know..)

Imagine the worst thing that could happen. They could kidnap you and torture you by playing Story Of My Life or their shite Blondie cover until you surrender and admit 1D are da bestest band eva and u iz a jellus h8r innit - death would be a merciful end in those circumstances ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Imagine the worst thing that could happen. They could kidnap you and torture you by playing Story Of My Life or their shite Blondie cover until you surrender and admit 1D are da bestest band eva and u iz a jellus h8r innit - death would be a merciful end in those circumstances ;-)

I'd just be grateful they arrived before the Bielbiers (that took me three attempts before I gave up). Imagine Baby baby baby nooooooo or swasswagswag if I was your boyfriend over and over again.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Some of their fans are insanely obsessed with them. It's crazy the amount of stupid crap that comes out of some of their fans' mouths. Unbelievably stupid.

It's all part of growing up
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »

I seriously doubt that that is normal behaviour for under 20 females. The things that some of their fans put down online about others who've dared to criticise their precious band is very disturbing indeed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whenever i read these thing i go, big deal as its not a real threat

whats the number of people actually killed after a threat on twitter?

i bet its zero

It's against the law to go making threats of violence or death to anyone. Online is no different.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whenever i read these thing i go, big deal as its not a real threat

whats the number of people actually killed after a threat on twitter?

i bet its zero

I don't know about Twitter but people have certainly been killed after altercations on Facebook.

Somebody wrote a post asking how likely it would be for a killer to be a teenager who has a twitter account.
    Why not? It doesn't sound that unusual to me.
    Why would a killer especially not have a twitter of facebook account compared to somebody who isn't? They'd just be people who would share many tastes and behaviours of people who aren't killers wouldn't they?

It's like asking how likely is it that a killer likes to watch television or drink coffee?

Do killers just have special types of hobbies and tastes that only killers like?

Here you go. Killers who used twitter;
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2429660/Kenya-attack-How-killers-boasted-Nairobi-Westgate-shopping-mall-carnage-Twitter.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not the death threats, whether real or fake. No one did anything like the creepy "Larry" shipping when I was growing up either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Hello! In case anyone is interested, fans of Nick have been raising money for the Albert Kennedy Trust (a charity supporting LGTB youth in London and Manchester) as a result of this. We raised £600 for the charity in the 18 hours following Nick's tweet, but more people wanted to donate so a justgiving page was set up in conjunction with the charity. In the 2 days it's been going another £1000 has been donated. The morning after it all kicked off some of the money was also used to buy some gifts and a card for Nick which a couple of London fans were able to deliver in person (he was surprised but very happy about it).

http://www.justgiving.com/teamgrimmy/eurl.axd/7d527b437297bc49a16541800b9cdda7
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Direction fans are c***s.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sams83 wrote: »
    Hello! In case anyone is interested, fans of Nick have been raising money for the Albert Kennedy Trust (a charity supporting LGTB youth in London and Manchester) as a result of this. We raised £600 for the charity in the 18 hours following Nick's tweet, but more people wanted to donate so a justgiving page was set up in conjunction with the charity. In the 2 days it's been going another £1000 has been donated. The morning after it all kicked off some of the money was also used to buy some gifts and a card for Nick which a couple of London fans were able to deliver in person (he was surprised but very happy about it).

http://www.justgiving.com/teamgrimmy/eurl.axd/7d527b437297bc49a16541800b9cdda7

That's all very nice, but it has nothing to do with the thread and is also blatant spam.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    One Direction fans are c***s.

Some are. I think a good few of them will be okay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I seriously doubt that that is normal behaviour for under 20 females. The things that some of their fans put down online about others who've dared to criticise their precious band is very disturbing indeed.

Look at the larry blogs on tumblr, google even one of them and there's this in-depth analysis, of from X Factor to now, they wrote pages on how one hand movement means this, and Larry's shirt was untucked so it means they were bonking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look at the larry blogs on tumblr, google even one of them and there's this in-depth analysis, of from X Factor to now, they wrote pages on how one hand movement means this, and Larry's shirt was untucked so it means they were bonking.

I don't doubt that this kind of thing is happening with fans of other groups but what I mean is, I think only a small percentage of fans of different groups will be doing this. I don't think it'll just be some fans of One Direction that are being this stupid, but fans of other groups as well.
  • kimberleycatkimberleycat Posts: 1,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's all very nice, but it has nothing to do with the thread and is also blatant spam.

I think it was a nice gesture. How bad must Nick felt. Tweeters sending him homophobic death threats should be brought to account. This showed him that people cared about what happened and raises money for the charity too, making something positive out of very awful situation. Can't see anything wrong with mentioning this myself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ICan't see anything wrong with mentioning this myself.

It was the link in the post that made me assume spam. Apologies if I got it wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member

I am honestly confused how this could be seen to have nothing to do with the thread :confused: The justgiving page was set up as a direct result of the homophobic abuse received by Nick (which is the subject of this thread) in order to create something positive out of the situation and support a charity that helps vulnerable LGTB youth (a charity that seemed fitting given the nature of the abuse Nick received).

Of course no-one is obliged to donate, I just thought that given the topic of the thread some people might want to :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sams83 wrote: »
    I am honestly confused how this could be seen to have nothing to do with the thread :confused: The justgiving page was set up as a direct result of the homophobic abuse received by Nick (which is the subject of this thread) in order to create something positive out of the situation and support a charity that helps vulnerable LGTB youth (a charity that seemed fitting given the nature of the abuse Nick received).

Of course no-one is obliged to donate, I just thought that given the topic of the thread some people might want to :)

It just seems to steer the discussion away from the main point, which was idiot fans and their obsession with sending death threats. But I don't want to argue with you as, although I would hate for a trend of everyone linking to charity pages to start, you were clearly just doing a nice thing.

I'm a bit touchy when it comes to potential spam 'cos I've seen too many forums ruined by it, forgive me. :)
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't remember sending death threats when I was growing up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    One Direction and One Direction fans are both complete idiots. One Direction cant sing and they're just marketing puppets making money on behalf of Cowell. >:(
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Idiot puppet band
    Idiot sheep fans

They'll be gone in a storm of drug/sexuality scandals soon enough
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't remember sending death threats when I was growing up.

People who try to normalise the behaviour of groups like 1D or Beiber fans worry me at least half as much as those engaging in the bad behaviour themselves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    Am I missing something here but if so many of their fans would prefer them to be in gay relationships Why are they so against Nick Grimshaw???
    Given that Harry and him are supposedly best friends
    It wasn't too long ago that photos surfaced of a certain Olympian falling out of a club with one of them and didn't provoke the reaction this has
    Particularly as Tom is now in a relationship with someone much older

The fact is that they don't just wish for a gay relationship they are convinced and sure that Louis and Harry (larry) are in one and that they are the expression of true love. They think Louis's girlfriend is a beard and the hate they send her is also horrible. A lot of those death threats come from larry shippers that hate Nick, officially because Nick is awful and use Harry and Harry is forced by management to spend time with him in public instead of Louis, but in reality they feel threatened by him. Nick and Harry appear to spend a lot of time together and the rumors of them being more than just friends have been going around for a long time.
    They clearly don't support gay rights otherwise they wouldn't have a problem with Harry being with Nick actually I think they are pretty homphobic. Some of them also say that if larry turn out to be false they won't believe in love anymore :rolleyes:
    It's so sad they can't let go of this fantasy and send hate to every girl or boy that disprove it.