Options

How do I find out my phone number?

fluegasfluegas Posts: 27
Forum Member
I've just got a new EE/Orange PAYG sim card for an existing phone where I'd transferred the previous number to a newer model.

However nowhere on the documentation supplied does it show the new phone number.

I can't top it up unless I know the number, but until I can actually use the phone I can't find out what it is :confused:

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On my HTC using Android 4.3 it's Settings > About > Phone Identity
    On my work iPhone running iOS 7 its Settings > Phone

The number is shown there. Certainly don't remember entering the number myself into either phone.
  • Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ring a mates mobile? Ring your home phone and do 1471?
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    Orange sims would need to just make a call and check.

They used to need registering before a number was allocated, don't know if that's changed.

You can top up by calling 450 or 453 to top up.
  • Options
    Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    On my HTC using Android 4.3 it's Settings > About > Phone Identity

The number is shown there. Certainly don't remember entering the number myself into either phone.

Same here on my Nexus 5
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same here on my Nexus 5

I ported my number from o2 to a Three sim and the number shown there is the old Three number, it doesn't show my ported number.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnathome wrote: »
    I ported my number from o2 to a Three sim and the number shown there is the old Three number, it doesn't show my ported number.

Turn off. Remove the SIM. Switch on without a SIM. Turn off. Replace SIM. Number should now display. If this doesn't work I can only assume it's some sort of network restriction on that SIM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turn off. Remove the SIM. Switch on without a SIM. Turn off. Replace SIM. Number should now display. If this doesn't work I can only assume it's some sort of network restriction on that SIM.

Cheers, i'll try that later :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ring a mates mobile? Ring your home phone and do 1471?
    Not possible with zero credit.
    d123 wrote: »
    Orange sims would need to just make a call and check.

They used to need registering before a number was allocated, don't know if that's changed.

You can top up by calling 450 or 453 to top up.
    Just says "you have dialled an incorrect number".
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fluegas wrote: »
    Just says "you have dialled an incorrect number".

Does 150 do anything? You might be on the EE/ex T-Mobile platform.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

3 do not always update SIMs when the number has been ported. Some phones can change this field on the SIM, like the iPhone.

On my Nexus 5 I can do it in the phone settings > other settings > "my phone number"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    Does 150 do anything? You might be on the EE/ex T-Mobile platform.
    No, just the same. Looks like I'll have to go down to the EE shop even though that was what I was trying to avoid in the first place :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nope, didn't work :( Not to worry as i remember my number anyway.

There isn't an option to change it manually on the Nexus 4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FWIW I received a text message saying:
    Hi from Orange, we are currently getting you set up. Leave your phone on during this time and we'll send you a text message shortly to let you when you're set

But I have never received anything, and it's now more than 24 hours later.
  • Options
    old bill2old bill2 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know that on EE if you send thé message with number to 150. They send you back a text with your number on it .Not sûre about Orange/T mobile.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I have never received anything, and it's now more than 24 hours later.

Let's hope the signal isn't so poor where you are that it took 24 hours to log onto a mast! :o
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Not possible with zero credit.

Instead then, ring the phone itself. Now you know it starts with 07, so you are just left with 10^9 numbers to try.
  • Options
    pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    Instead then, ring the phone itself. Now you know it starts with 07, so you are just left with 10^9 numbers to try.
    This is such a ludicrous comment that it beggars belief. Obviously, the OP will be able to rule out numbers that belong to his friends and family, thus leaving him with just 999,999,900 or so to try. You do exaggerate ;-)
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My Nexus 5 also shows the Three number and not the one i ported across to them.
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member

Me too. No way to change it either acc to google support. My phone is a nexus 4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too. No way to change it either acc to google support. My phone is a nexus 4

Have you tried looking in the options in the phone app? I can change it on a Nexus 5, but I am running CyanogenMod so I don't know if that's a CM feature or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Have you tried looking in the options in the phone app? I can change it on a Nexus 5, but I am running CyanogenMod so I don't know if that's a CM feature or not.

I've just looked, no option, must be a CM feature.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    This is such a ludicrous comment that it beggars belief. Obviously, the OP will be able to rule out numbers that belong to his friends and family, thus leaving him with just 999,999,900 or so to try. You do exaggerate ;-)

Ah, but I had allowed for that - he doesn't have any friends as noone can ring him :)
  • Options
    Mick JonesMick Jones Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    I've just looked, no option, must be a CM feature.

There is a way to edit the phone number on a SIM, short of borrowing an iPhone or flashing CM. There is an Xposed module called 'SIM Number Changer', but obviously you have to be rooted and using Xposed (and running Dalvik).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A series of texts came through overnight to give me all the activation details - over 36 hours after I first put in the simcard :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A series of texts came through overnight to give me all the activation details - over 36 hours after I first put in the simcard :confused:

I know others have joked about it but you do have a good signal presumably?