sat navs

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
Forum Member
✭✭
do people use sat navs on there phones for long car trips.

Comments

• Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I use my iphone as I find it's better than my dedicated TomTom sat nav, mainly due to the screen being a lot better/clearer than the TomTom's. I just much prefer it.

Obviously if the trip is more than a couple of hours you'll need an in-car charger to keep it juiced up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh right. do you use a paid one or the free one
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use CoPilot which works lovely with Spotify, so I listen to music and get prompts without any issue.

On a 1080p screen, the maps look great.

But Google's own navigation software is pretty decent too, and free. However, offline maps and safety camera alerts are (to me) worth paying for.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kcspurs wrote: »
    oh right. do you use a paid one or the free one

Free one, apple maps built in one is what I've been using. There are plenty of other free and paid ones on the App Store or on the play store if you've got an android phone.

No need to use a paid one really, the free ones are good enough
  • IM-goRtIM-goRt Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    I find Waze routes round traffic better than google maps and comes with speed cameras for free.
    Works on both android and iPhone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waze still seems too buggy for me.

Ironically, the worst Satnav software I've used is TomTom, despite it being my first choice for a standalone system for years.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Ironically, the worst Satnav software I've used is TomTom, despite it being my first choice for a standalone system for years.
    I use uknavfree - offline maps, a clone of the TomTom interface - and (mostly) free! It is not perfect - but works very well most of the time!
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waze still seems too buggy for me.

TomTom is still my first choice. I have tried Google Maps and it was OK considering it was free and I liked the integration with other apps but some of the routing was a bit odd. Waze was just weird and I uninstalled it quickly.

If my TomTom was to die then I would probably just use Google Maps rather than splash out on a replacement since I only use a Sat Nav 2 or 3 times a month.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean a standalone TomTom don't you (I assume from the second paragraph)? The app is awful (admittedly I've not tried it recently so maybe it's all new and improved) and a shadow of what the standalones are like.

If TomTom on Android was better (I don't think it's that great on iOS either, but my dad uses it and likes it) then I suppose it would kill the standalone market for TomTom, which it still clings on to and presumably makes some money from.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean a standalone TomTom don't you (I assume from the second paragraph)? The app is awful (admittedly I've not tried it recently so maybe it's all new and improved) and a shadow of what the standalones are like..

Yes, I mean the standalone device. The one I have is a Live model from 2-3 years ago with live traffic updates. I had an earlier model which used the RDS signal for updates but that was rubbish but this uses a 3G signal and I find it to be reliable and spookily accurate.

However for a free service, I find that Google Maps is usually "good enough" especially if you are only an occasional user.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a LIVE model too, which has the SIM embedded in it. But I didn't fancy paying for both traffic and map updates (especially as TeleAtlas maps have never been that great).

I have an even older GO model that has a hard drive, allowing you to store music on it. Sadly now that's a feature (even SSD storage) long gone. Thus, another reason to move to a smartphone where I can play Spotify through the car, with the route directions coming over the audio, which is ideal (far better, IMO, than paying many hundreds for a car system that might have some connectivity, but be slow, rarely updated etc).
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member
    I use TomTom on both phones, I find the iOS version to be slightly better than the Android version (but the Android version was a pile of sh1te when it first came out and has greatly improved since).
  • garroshgarrosh Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    i use the tomtom app on my iphone as it works a treat can even have it horizontal and looks great, ofc i wouldnt pay the asking price for it on the app store
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been using Waze for a couple of weeks. Works well.
  • sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    I use co pilot

Downloadable maps
    Safety camera alerts
    And live traffic

All worth paying for as far as I'm concerned
  • Alex_1Alex_1 Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    I use Sygic

Well worth the 15 quid (roughly) I paid for it
    I have Ford Focus with built in sat nav but this is better imo

Downloadable maps... no data required
    Free Safety camera alerts
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member
    garrosh wrote: »
    i use the tomtom app on my iphone as it works a treat can even have it horizontal and looks great, ofc i wouldnt pay the asking price for it on the app store

Most people would rather not jailbreak just to pirate apps...
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for CoPilot here. As other have said on a longer journey will need to put phone on charge though otherwise it will be dead before you reach your destination.
  • dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please don't think I am stupid, but if I use the apple or google or nav free apps do they use data in the car. I only have a tiny data allowance so am afraid to use them. How do I download the maps so they are saved on my Iphone4. Thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please don't think I am stupid, but if I use the apple or google or nav free apps do they use data in the car. I only have a tiny data allowance so am afraid to use them. How do I download the maps so they are saved on my Iphone4. Thanks

In this case IMO would be to get an actual app such as CoPilot and then the maps are downloaded over wifi and stored on the phone. Using Google Mmaps will use up your data allowance unless you again pre-load for your particular journey before you leave home again on wifi. However, if you are away from home, this might not be practical.
  • dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice, probably better that I stick to TomTom device then. Don't use it very often so no point taking a chance.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member

I would imagine using on-line maps is unworkable? - considering how many places have little or no coverage. As Magic Cottage suggested, use CoPilot (or similar) where you can download all the maps to your phone via WiFi so it works regardless of signal.

A phone is also no different to a proper SatNav - it needs to be powered from the car, not from it's batteries :D

Personally I use a Garmin SatNav (with lifetime map updates), but have CoPilot on my phone just in case I need GPS unexpectedly - I don't keep my Garmin in the car unless I'm going somewhere it's needed.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    I still prefer my old Garmin sat-nav for long journeys but sometimes need to use my phone sat-nav for the final part of the journey as the old Garmin does not have full postcode search.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I find phones are not loud enough to use as a satnav, especially if you have the radio on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find phones are not loud enough to use as a satnav, especially if you have the radio on.

If you also use bluetooth in the car, there are ways to direct the spoken directions to your bluetooth headset.