Options

These episodes have been really rushed

FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
Forum Member
The first episode didn't really have an impact on anything, we saw Oswald once then heard nothing of her for the next four episodes.

The second episode also had no meaning, Amy and Rory left then the Doctor just flew in with his TARDIS and took them to a spaceship for some odd reason, then put them back again. And seriously, Dinosaurs? What happened to Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans, i miss them days, Dinosaurs is SOOO Primeval :yawn:

The third episode AGAIN didn't follow the same footsteps as the last too, I found it quite boring, and their wasn't really a 'monster' just a half man half alien sort of thing.

Fourth episode, once again The Doctor goes to pick up Amy and Rory and I didn't really get this episode, didn't really have a meaning, probably the worst of the lot.

And then after five really not good episodes, Amy and Rory die. There wasn't even a build up to this story, they just died suddenly I was just like, oh, fifth episode and they've died? And then of course River pops up again, where is she now? How many episodes until she dies? And is she known as Melody or River in that episode? And was this after she married the Doctor or what? Arrr

So yeah, this 'series' could have been longer.

The show has been off our screens for a year, and we finally get to watch The Doctor, Amy and Rory again then they go die!

And they weren't really 'companions', the Doctor just picked them up every once in a while.

So yeah, I would put this 'bunch of episodes' at 4/10 - hopefully the second 'bunch of episodes' improve, and hopefully Series 8 won't have a silly Mid Series Finale and it will just run for 13 episodes, three two-parters and no complicated story lines, like the Rose era.

Comments

• Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    So what you're saying is that this series has been rubbish because... all the episodes have been different wut? :confused:
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    So what you're saying is that this series has been rubbish because... all the episodes have been different wut? :confused:

No not at all, they just didn't really explain much, it was like all the episodes were filmed from 5th episode to 1st episode or somethin: :o:o
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »
    The first episode didn't really have an impact on anything, we saw Oswald once then heard nothing of her for the next four episodes.

The second episode also had no meaning, Amy and Rory left then the Doctor just flew in with his TARDIS and took them to a spaceship for some odd reason, then put them back again. And seriously, Dinosaurs? What happened to Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans, i miss them days, Dinosaurs is SOOO Primeval :yawn:

The third episode AGAIN didn't follow the same footsteps as the last too, I found it quite boring, and their wasn't really a 'monster' just a half man half alien sort of thing.

Fourth episode, once again The Doctor goes to pick up Amy and Rory and I didn't really get this episode, didn't really have a meaning, probably the worst of the lot.

And then after five really not good episodes, Amy and Rory die. There wasn't even a build up to this story, they just died suddenly I was just like, oh, fifth episode and they've died? And then of course River pops up again, where is she now? How many episodes until she dies? And is she known as Melody or River in that episode? And was this after she married the Doctor or what? Arrr

The show has been off our screens for a year, and we finally get to watch The Doctor, Amy and Rory again then they go die!

And they weren't really 'companions', the Doctor just picked them up every once in a while.

So yeah, I would put this 'bunch of episodes' at 4/10 - hopefully the second 'bunch of episodes' improve, and hopefully Series 8 won't have a silly Mid Series Finale and it will just run for 13 episodes, three two-parters and no complicated story lines, like the Rose era.

I think these last five episodes have been excellent. You may feel it was rushed due to prior knowledge of Amy leaving and therefore each episode was a build up to that event.

But, the dinosaurs in episode 2 were there for a reason. The silurians were preserving them in an ark in space and Solomon had destroyed the Silurians and basically put a stop to the preservations. It made perfect sense and what also made sense was that, following the end of series 6, Amy and Rory wanted to live a normal life so they could focus on their relationship, but also wanted the occasional adventure with The Doctor.
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only liked episode 1, 4 and 5 the others didn't interest me at all, so I actually just stopped watching them all together. got half way through episode 2 and with three not very far at all.
    But ep one was excellent.

I agree I didn't find the first half of this series very good at all. bar episode 1, and ep 4 and 5 were ok.
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    No not at all, they just didn't really explain much, it was like all the episodes were filmed from 5th episode to 1st episode or somethin: :o:o

It's not so much that things aren't explained, more that you obviously weren't paying attention. In your opening post you said you didn't know whether this episode happened before or after River married the Doctor so I guess you didn't hear when she referred to him as her husband several times...
  • Options
    ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 7 hasn't been the best has it? Amy and Rory's death could have at least been a two parter. Also, they should have died when they fell from the building, not 2 minutes later. We already knew they were leaving, I don't see why Moffatt had to make them live. I want a clean cut death with a companion already, it would have been much more sad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ryanr554 wrote: »
    Series 7 hasn't been the best has it? Amy and Rory's death could have at least been a two parter. Also, they should have died when they fell from the building, not 2 minutes later. We already knew they were leaving, I don't see why Moffatt had to make them live. I want a clean cut death with a companion already, it would have been much more sad.

I think it should have been a 2 parter it was very rushed. this series wasn't goodon the whole. and it doesn't even feel like I have watched any doctor who and it's over untill christmas. since it's one of the only decent programs on tv at the moment, they could at least make more episodes.

I
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    The fourth episode could have easily been a two parter.
  • Options
    col bcol b Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Back to the point of the thread,i always feet that single part stories feel rushed.There is the odd exception where they feel strangely longer at times but i hate that feeling during an episode where i keep looking at the clock feeling panic that they have so much to fit in with such little time left.
    Like tonight,i saw that there was less than 10 minutes left of the episode and that they had so much left to tell and explain.I prefer longer episodes or even 2 parters.Didnt donners final episode last about 75 minutes or something and matts first about 65?
  • Options
    slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the episode quality has been variable, but I'm not sure about the objections to the episodes being different and unlinked. Last year everyone complained about the weight of the season-long arc. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Part of the attraction of Who for me is that you can tell a completely different story every week. Big action and quieter character pieces. Jurassic Park-style larks, spaghetti westerns and film noir. Earth and the far reaches of the universe. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

Mind you, I genuinely enjoyed the complex plot arcs of the previous two seasons. Not everything was neat or necessary that robust, but the scope of the stories was enormous and the quality largely excellent. Here there have been some great individual concepts, but the execution has been up and down.
  • Options
    slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    col b wrote: »
    Back to the point of the thread,i always feet that single part stories feel rushed.There is the odd exception where they feel strangely longer at times but i hate that feeling during an episode where i keep looking at the clock feeling panic that they have so much to fit in with such little time left.
    Like tonight,i saw that there was less than 10 minutes left of the episode and that they had so much left to tell and explain.I prefer longer episodes or even 2 parters.Didnt donners final episode last about 75 minutes or something and matts first about 65?
    I kind of agree that key episodes like this one could have been a bit longer, but a double episode would probably have been too long and padded out. I guess the reality is that they run to 43 minutes (or whatever it is) to ensure they fit the demands of hour-long slots in the US and other international markets, which is where the Beeb really rake their money in.

Tonight? I'd have liked it to be 5 minutes longer maybe, just so the ending of the main plot didn't feel so rushed. But we had enough time for Rory and Amy to have their roof-top scene and for Amy's afterword coda to the Doctor, so the goodbye certainly wasn't too rushed for me.
  • Options
    WarmijwilfWarmijwilf Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    I only liked episode 1, 4 and 5 the others didn't interest me at all, so I actually just stopped watching them all together. got half way through episode 2 and with three not very far at all.
    But ep one was excellent.

I agree I didn't find the first half of this series very good at all. bar episode 1, and ep 4 and 5 were ok.

So basically you're complaining about "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" having no meaning, and episode 3 having "no meaning", despite the fact you admitted that you didn't even watch the whole episodes?

Are you trying to make yourself look silly?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Right...

What? That's not a reason to dismiss the entire episode and I'm sure Oswin's story will impact later on when JLC becomes companion...

Again, what? Why did that episode have no meaning? By your logic, every episode has no meaning...

"He flew in with TARDIS, defeated a Dalek and then left. What's the point?"

And what'd you mean "Dinosaurs is SOOO primeval." 1) You're not an American, female teenager. 2) Dinosaurs were around before Primeval...

And what happened to the Daleks? Um...previous episode? Cybermen and Sontarans were in previous series and will be in this series too.

Again, what? You can find it boring but you're reasoning is just silly. A Doctor Who episode rarely follows in the footsteps of the previous episodes...because it's Doctor Who. Also, you never provide an actual reason for disliking an episode. You're randomly state stuff "dinosaurs?! bring back Daleks" "half man half alien thing is rubbish" "this episode doesn't have meaning and doesn't follow the others"- none of it is actual valid criticisms!

What? Again, that's ridiculous reasons for disliking an episode. You keep saying "it doesn't have a meaning"- what does that mean?! What if it was just a lighthearted filler episode? Did all the episodes in the Rose era have meaning? Again, this is you just randomly stating things with no backing.

And then after five really not good episodes, Amy and Rory die. There wasn't even a build up to this story, they just died suddenly I was just like, oh, fifth episode and they've died?

It was foreshadowed in the previous episode...

And then of course River pops up again, where is she now? How many episodes until she dies?

No idea.

And is she known as Melody or River in that episode?

River. But Amy refers to her as Melody.

And was this after she married the Doctor or what? Arrr

After.

It's not over...

Yeah, in an episode that was 45 minutes of amazing television. What exactly is your complaint?

...so? Is that really a reason why the series was bad or is that just you nitpicking random elements?

No. This show is about change and I don't think you've accepted that.
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    ^ this.

Thank you for summing that up :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Warmijwilf wrote: »
    So basically you're complaining about "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" having no meaning, and episode 3 having "no meaning", despite the fact you admitted that you didn't even watch the whole episodes?

Are you trying to make yourself look silly?

no I'm not as it happens. I didn't say why I didn't like the episodes at all in my post. are you trying to make yourself look silly. grow up for god sake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    no I'm not as it happens. I didn't say why I didn't like the episodes at all in my post. are you trying to make yourself look silly. grow up for god sake.

Ah, apologies, I mistook you for the OP. You both have fire-related names. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, apologies, I mistook you for the OP. You both have fire-related names. :(

it's fine. I thought you had me mixed up with someone else, so I thouht I'd give you a nasty reply becase the bit about making ones self look silly fitted well. LOL.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This last episode should definitely have been a full hour. One or two extra scenes were really needed and some breathing space for the rest of the episode.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted.
  • Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You completely missed the point of that whole ep. The cyborg wasn't even supposed to be the enemy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it's fine. I thought you had me mixed up with someone else, so I thouht I'd give you a nasty reply becase the bit about making ones self look silly fitted well. LOL.

Well, I do look silly!
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Well, I do look silly!

but you redeemed yourself with your sensible and thought provoking ideas for future plots.

This list of complaints by the OP is just a list of random nothings. The observations are either just plain wrong or petulant subjective responses. If, for example, one is sufficiently lacking in imagination or other cultural references that the only thing you can see about dinosaurs is "Primeval", that's hardly the fault of Doctor Who producers. The plot had zero to do with the premise of Primeval. Dinosaurs in scifi stories predates Primeval. Doctor Who did it in the seventies. Etc etc etc.

It's ok to not like the series. This list of reasons doesn't really make much sense. Maybe better to say "i don't like this." and leave it at that. ;)
  • Options
    researchshirleyresearchshirley Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the OP is criticising the series for not being more obvious and predictable. Hmmm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    regardless of some of the specific points made by the original poster i do think that things have felt rushed.
    i think the reasons for this are partly to do with the fact that we are used to a pattern where we get 2/3 single episodes then a 2 parter
    and the fact that 5 episodes is much closer to being one third of a season than half a season
    personally i have liked each of the episodes but definitely feel that it felt like 6 episodes worth of material crammed into five

hopefully when we get the 8 episode 2nd half of the season it will luxurious
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ehh? I'm confused as to what you want, you clearly state above that you didn't understand each episode in relation to each other, that they didn't feed into each other and there was no build up to the Ponds exit...basically you are stating that you weren't happy with the lack of a story arc!

And then highlighted below these points you want the series to be uncomplicated...ie No story arc?

Can't have it both ways buddy!