Cats Do The Stupidest Things!

Baz OBaz O Posts: 1,642
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Earlier today I went out in the garden to call my cat and I couldn't find him. Suddenly I could hear some rustling in the conifers and looked up to see a little furry face staring down at me. My cat had climbed up there and was now stuck. After about half an hour I decided to get a ladder to help him down. As soon as I got the ladder out he decided to come down :D

As anyone else had a similar experience with their cats?

Comments

• RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha! Yes, a cat we had a few years ago loved to climb in through the bedroom window at the front of the house. Unfortunately, she could only do it by climbing up at the back then going over the apex of the roof. Nine times out of ten though, she got stuck at the apex, leading to much crying and howling until my son got up there with a long ladder (as I was panicking in the garden at both him and the cat). The minute my son reached out a hand to her, she scampered down the roof and into the window. :rolleyes: Every time. But until he went up there, she'd stay there crying and howling. I swear, that cat turned my hair grey. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Yes, for some reason hubby had a long ladder up the back of our house, my cat would ask out then run around the back, climb up the ladder then jump onto the bathroom window sill where he would meow and scratch at the window until someone let him in. He would do this umpteen times a day, a great game obviously. :D
  • Baz OBaz O Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have always kept cats, I blame my Grandad he would keep bringing kittens home from the factory he worked in.

When I was a child one of our cats got stuck on the garage roof so my Mom stood on some step ladders and tried to reach it. The cat suddenly stepped onto her head and clung on lol It was the funniest thing I had ever seen my mom looked like she had a David Crockett hat on.:D
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is great

My cat (RIP) used to do so many 'stupid' things. She would meow to get out into the back garden at the patio door (Bit difficult to open) so we would open the back door for her a few metres away. She would ignore that and stay meowing at the patio door. Eventually when that was opened she got up and walked away back into the living room.

She made me lol so many times, I miss her :(
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With our old family cat, we never had a catflap, so to get out he'd have to meow at us to open the backdoor.
    If it was raining or snowing out back he would turn around, stroll through the house to the front door and demand to check if the weather outside there was more to his liking!:)
  • StaceySkyStaceySky Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat sat in the middle of the road and began licking her bottom. A car was coming towards her but she wouldn't move. In the end the cat had to drive around her on the pavement.

Wish I caught it on camera, it was very funny to watch.

Once we opened the back door to let her in, however she didn't come in. She sat there and meowed at us. I think I picked her up in the end to bring her in.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    My cousin was renovating his house and the cat decided that it really liked living in the wall space. No matter how many times he dragged it out, within an hour it had found its way back in and we could hear it happily scrambling about behind the wall.

My old neighbour had a mad cat that loved to sit on a high wall and whenever a dog walked past it would jump down onto the dog's back and then back up onto the wall. Then it would sit there, out of reach of the angry dog, totally ignoring the barking and snarling below it.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In our old place: The night before she was being spayed Amber escaped at about 11pm and legged it up the biggest tree she could find (it was massive and she was at least 20 feet up, if not higher)

2 hours passed and we tried everything - food, toys etc. OH went to bed :o and left me seriously debating if it was OK to call FIL at 1am to ask for a ladder. I even contemplated calling the fire brigade.

2am and I was still sat out in the communal garden shaking her bloody treats....

She did eventually come down, she struggled a bit though. Stupid cat.

This tree became her second home once she was spayed and officially allowed out.

She also climbed out of the teeniest gap of the sash window when she was teeny and thankfully OH found her.

In current home: Most recently she jumped out of a window (about 12 feet up) and got onto the main street where she has never, ever been, She has access to balconies and the rooftop but not the street as we are top floor. Thankfully she proceeded to mew up at the window until I went down to get her. Needless to say that window will never be left open again.

MIL's cat disappeared for 2 weeks and turned up some 20 odd miles away. They reckon she'd either been along the train lines or even on a train lol...

OT but friends dog once jumped on a bus without her :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,526
    Forum Member
    Probably about 10 years ago now, my beautiful late cat Muffin got stuck up a tree and the neighbours called the fire brigade :o:o

I wasn't there, but the story from my dad is as follows...

He hadn't seen Muffin for the majority of the afternoon which was unusual, so he went outside to call him in. He gets outside and happens to hear some kind of commotion at the bottom of our street, so goes to be nosy and see what's going on.

Apparently a cat (:rolleyes:) had been loudly meowing for ages and a neighbour had heard him and saw that he had managed to get himself stuck high up in a tree, so decided to call the fire brigade to help this idiot cat get out of the tree.

I'm told that the firemen were very nice and highly amused that they had been called out to get a cat out of a tree, and sent one of their men up a ladder to help Muffin down. Unfortunately Muffin refused to go with the firemen, so my dad ended up going up the ladder to get him down. Apparently a few people had gathered to watch. I wish I'd seen it!! I still feel mortified to this day that the fire brigade had been called out for Muffin in a tree, as kind and well intentioned as the neighbour clearly was :o

All's well that ends well, I suppose. We never really saw him up any trees after that :rolleyes:

He also used to threaten dogs who were being walked past our house. I remember one day I was chatting to my friend's mum who was walking her dog past our house, when Muffin starts slowly creeping up towards their dog, who backed off to hide behind my friend's mum. He looked so confused, the poor thing!! I couldn't stop apologising to her- how embarrassing!!! She just found it funny. We saw him do this a few times to passing dogs- any dog Muffin deemed to be on his 'territory' would get the same treatment!! We always worried one day he'd pick on the wrong dog. Fortunately the dogs were always very kind and didn't go for him- I think they must have been too bewildered!! Daft cat.

God I miss him- life just isn't the same without him around to embarrass me!! :D:D Beautiful cat.
  • Baz OBaz O Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I got married the first cat I had was a large ginger and white fluffy tomcat. My husband and I lived in hospital accommodation and they were very old houses with a gap underneath the back door. I returned home from work and noticed he had some glue stuck to his whiskers so I spent the next 10 minutes picking it off and wondering where it had come from. I went into the kitchen and noticed a chewed slug on the floor it must have slithered in under the back door :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    StaceySky wrote: »
    My cat sat in the middle of the road and began licking her bottom. A car was coming towards her but she wouldn't move. In the end the cat had to drive around her on the pavement.

that made me laugh out loud !! :D:D:D:D:D
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a cat up the road from me that sleeps in the gutter. I seriously thought it had been hit by a car first time I saw it:(
  • StaceySkyStaceySky Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jair_Sharp wrote: »
    that made me laugh out loud !! :D:D:D:D:D
    Opps sorry meant car
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    StaceySky wrote: »
    Opps sorry meant car

i just had visions of a cat starting up like a car and driving along the road :D:D::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP one of my cats done that when he was a kitten! And he isn't the most agile bless him.

I have two boys, Pepper is a house cat, he goes out to do his business but he doesn't go far and loves the house. Ever since he was little he's always loved sitting in empty boxes. But yesterday because I gave him a box, he won't sit in it. He only wants them if he thinks they aren't his. He loves playing with my dogs teddies and he loves it if I wave a dressing gown cord in his face, it he spends ages trying to catch it and licking it and chasing it. If I try to do that with his brother, he catches it then lets go, he's not interested. He'd rather catch a real mouse. It tickles me how they are brothers, and we've brought them up exactly the same yet they have such different personalities
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of ours has got into the habit of climbing up onto the porch roof late at night and miaowing very loudly at our bedroom if he sees a light on.

He just doesn't stop, to try and keep the peace with the neighbours i'm usually out there in my dressing gown shaking a packet of dreamies trying to encourage him to come down.