Microsoft ending support for Windows XP and Windows Vista

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    As far as normal use goes, I can't see what's that bad with Windows 8. Yes, you have the inconvenience of having to go to another screen to start a program you want that's not on the desktop, but you can easily create shortcuts for the desktop by left-clicking the program and then clicking on 'open file location' and then left-clicking on the file in its location and then choosing send to and then desktop. I suppose there could be problems that happen when more technical things are done with Windows 8. I think it's okay though.
    Please, let's not turn this into yet another Windows 8 thread :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    I run two machines at home - one is XP Home and the other XP Professional. Either of them haven't had a format since August 2006 and are running beautifully :)
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »

I replied to shhftw who mentioned Windows 8 a few times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I run two machines at home - one is XP Home and the other XP Professional. Either of them haven't had a format since August 2006 and are running beautifully :)

If you're connected to the internet with them, they'll be very insecure. I can only imagine that you must only visit sites that aren't in the least bit dodgy.
  • xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    just got on net and .. nothing working again,

a whole hour and still not got onto my e mail.
    cant even get onto google search ... thinking... this damn xp and these browsers falling apart.

Then I thought, this is crazy, google search is the easiest and quickest web page to get on.
    I decided to switch off my modem for a minute or so.
    (Theres an on off switch on it .)

Finally put it back on, seconds later Im on the net, getting on to sites easily and quickly ....

Just shows you always need to do a bit of sideways thinking,

my problem could be more with the modem and AOL .... not as much with my browsers and XP as I thought !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    just got on net and .. nothing working again,

a whole hour and still not got onto my e mail.
    cant even get onto google search ... thinking... this damn xp and these browsers falling apart.

Then I thought, this is crazy, google search is the easiest and quickest web page to get on.
    I decided to switch off my modem for a minute or so.
    (Theres an on off switch on it .)

Finally put it back on, seconds later Im on the net, getting on to sites easily and quickly ....

Just shows you always need to do a bit of sideways thinking,

my problem could be more with the modem and AOL .... not as much with my browsers and XP as I thought !

Have you tried scanning your system for viruses and malware (if you can find either that supports XP)? Also, try doing an error check as well. Not the option that checks things after the system starts back up again.
  • xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    Ive recently done...
    ad aware
    c cleaner
    superantispyware free edition

avast scans every week

Dont think its anything to do with that, must be related
    to the modem and AOL ... thats my thinking now .
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I still have an XP desktop from 2003 which I think is slowly on the way to the tech scrapheap. It only has half a gig of RAM and it was fast in 2003/2004 but now it's extremely slow. I hardly ever use it. I'll be taking it off the internet in April. None of my family use XP any more. My dad uses Windows 7 now and he's happy with it. He is getting a Surface Pro for Christmas though :p My mum has a Windows 7 laptop and an iPad but she mostly uses the iPad.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it's my fault that Microsoft inflicted Windows 8 upon the world.

OK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »

It was a valid comment and it remains a strong factor in XP users' decision process.

Many of the XP users are the typical "PC World" buyers - and the ladder to Windows 7 was lifted before last Xmas. So, I think Windows 8 is key in their determination to hang on to Windows XP.

I think it's going to take something of 'Blaster' proportions to stop the hardcore.

And something in the order of a Start Menu in 8.2 could cure it!
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    shhftw wrote: »
    It was a valid comment and it remains a strong factor in XP users' decision process.

Many of the XP users are the typical "PC World" buyers - and the ladder to Windows 7 was lifted before last Xmas. So, I think Windows 8 is key in their determination to hang on to Windows XP.

I think it's going to take something of 'Blaster' proportions to stop the hardcore.

And something in the order of a Start Menu in 8.2 could cure it!
    Well they should be OK when the 'Threshold' update arrives and reinstates the start menu properly and allows the modern desktop to be avoided completely.
    My God! What will the Luddites find to complain about then??? ;-):D
    Forum Member
    If you're connected to the internet with them, they'll be very insecure. I can only imagine that you must only visit sites that aren't in the least bit dodgy.

Not at all - I only use Avira Free too and have had no problems at all, apart from the odd bit of spyware which has been detected and removed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all - I only use Avira Free too and have had no problems at all, apart from the odd bit of spyware which has been detected and removed.

I say yes. You're using an OS that is very out-of-date, that won't have any patches for it that closes any security issues. As the years and new OSs go by, XP will just become more and more vulnerable in terms of security.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    XP will drop off over the next few years as machines die and the new machines people buy won't have the necessary chipset drivers for XP so they'll have to move forward add in a few juicy exploits and the people will start to look forward so by 2017 xp will probably be in the small percentage with die hards and legacy requirements being the main strongholds for XP
  • EarakeEarake Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm reading a lot of XP scaremongering statements which so far have not been backed up with any level of credible scientific proof.

Of course Microsoft want you to buy the latest OS....it's in their interests.

XP still is one of the best OS that Microsoft has ever released with probably W7 running a close second.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Earake wrote: »
    I'm reading a lot of XP scaremongering statements which so far have not been backed up with any level of credible scientific proof.
    Simple logic ought to be enough. Criminals exist. Computer exploits are profitable. XP has been known to be vulnerable to zero day exploits in the past. If you have some prepared, save them up until a widely used OS is no longer being patched. This will maximise your chances of being able to make money out of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course Microsoft want you to buy the latest OS....it's in their interests.

XP still is one of the best OS that Microsoft has ever released with probably W7 running a close second.

If more and more websites stop supporting XP and more and more software authors stop writing software with XP support in it, this will just make things harder for the people who have the out-of-date XP. The lack of security updates for XP will go against it as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @njp & @zx50

But still no credible scientific source references other than perhaps Microsoft who have a vested interest in new OS development.....to any uninitiated computer user, your comments are just personal opinions....where are the independent expert source references ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @njp & @zx50

But still no credible scientific source references other than perhaps Microsoft who have a vested interest in new OS development.....to any uninitiated computer user, your comments are just personal opinions....where are the independent expert source references ?

You don't need proof of this because it's obvious what's going to happen. As more OSs by Microsoft are released, the more software authors will stop writing software for XP. Now, you can go on and on about us giving you proof, but this is what will happen. Why? Because software developers won't be making much money (either through paid for or placing options in from advertisers before installing) from supporting XP, so they'll just make Vista as the earliest supported OS in their software.

Edit: The same goes for websites that support XP as well. If this is the case with websites.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't need proof of this because it's obvious what's going to happen.

That's a credible well reasoned argument !.....think you may just have lost a few followers.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't need proof of this because it's obvious what's going to happen. As more OSs by Microsoft are released, the more software authors will stop writing software for XP.....Because software developers won't be making much money ...so they'll just make Vista as the earliest supported OS in their software....
    Part of Opera's popularity is because it continued to support Windows 98.

There will always an income for someone who does not follow the corporate 'obsolescence by design' line.

And I don't know about you, but when I get an app to work I never update it. The downgrades in the supposed next edition are more glaringly obvious.

Next year is going to be quite interesting for XP.
    Will an AV company launch an XP lite AV mod that removes bloat, increases security and continues AV support? No reason why not considering there is so much money is to be made here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a credible well reasoned argument !.....think you may just have lost a few followers.

It's happened with OSs before XP. Nuff said.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Part of Opera's popularity is because it continued to support Windows 98.

There will always an income for someone who does not follow the corporate 'obsolescence by design' line.

And I don't know about you, but when I get an app to work I never update it. The downgrades in the supposed next edition are more glaringly obvious.

Next year is going to be quite interesting for XP.
    Will an AV company launch an XP lite AV mod that removes bloat, increases security and continues AV support? No reason why not considering there is so much money is to be made here.

So the antivirus companies take advantage of what the security patches would have stopped from happening in the first place.
    Forum Member
    I say yes. You're using an OS that is very out-of-date, that won't have any patches for it that closes any security issues. As the years and new OSs go by, XP will just become more and more vulnerable in terms of security.

Yes, XP is outdated and support is dwindling, however, what I meant by my post is that personally I haven't had any major problems with viruses etc. apart from the usual minor stuff (the odd bit of spyware from dodgy sites etc. can happen from time to time).

So for now I will continue to use XP. And if it goes tits-up, on my head be it.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @njp & @zx50

My "personal opinion" is widely shared - unless you are the kind of conspiracy theorist who traces all evil back to Microsoft. It's also based on an understanding of what sort of vulnerabilities exist, and how they can be exploited. There is plenty of analysis of vulnerabilities that have been fixed, and you can find them quite easily. Vulnerabilities that have not been fixed are a bit trickier to come by!

For you to be right in thinking that there isn't going to be a problem, you would also have to think that Microsoft have, for years, been back-porting security fixes for vulnerabilities discovered in later OS's onto XP for no reason.

Is that what you think?

Or do you think that XP is now patched to the point where no further exploits of the code are possible? This is wishful thinking of the most naive kind.