New Series - Dark Matter (UK Pace)

Comments

• CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

One thing though. When 5 told them about the 'vault' 2 asked if anyone had been down there before but they all had. I'm pretty sure it was the room with the lockers full of gear from ep.1.

Not sure if that was the case but given that they've been on the ship for days (if not weeks) now I'd have thought they would have done a full search of the ship (and not just a couple of them finding the vault by accident).

Did anyone ask the Android what was in the Vault? Probably another bit of information that just happened to have been wiped from her/the ship systems.

Pretty sure she does know more than she's telling the crew though.
    I'm going with either nano-tech or genetic engineering (or maybe a combination of both) to explain 2.

So I'm guessing everyone of the crew will end up having some unique secret, they don't all have this quick healing power as we saw with Six the other week.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Pretty sure she [ the android ] does know more than she's telling the crew though.
    I hope so. Just about the only way this facile heap of childish romp could redeem itself is if the android turns out to be the mastermind behind the whole thing.
    We've been so used to the idea that robots can't lie, that to have one which is pulling the strings and manipulating the crew would be a refreshing change. It would also be about the only original aspect of the show, even if 2001 ASO did it first :cool:.
  • Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not saying it's a ground-breaking work of art or anything but I enjoyed the latest episode, as I did the one before.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    felt this episode was poorer than the rest personally. didnt find the zombies interesting.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    It seemed a bit out of character for 2 to be having sex with 3. Considering how obnoxious 3 tends to be, I really didn't see why 2 would be interested :confused:

This new mystery with 2 is certainly intriguing.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I was wondering if they all turn out to be clones and the real murderers did a swop so that they would then be free and hhave the clones go out and be arrested or killed.

It may explain the two Jakes. Also may explain the enhanced healing. Although 6 didn't heal that quikly.

Would the Android betable to tell the difference between a human and clone?
  • FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not withstanding the lazy writing and bad acting by some, but after watching an episode does anybody else feel like nothing really was accomplished? Afterwards you kind of sit back and think OK that happened but its not advancing any type of real story. But I guess it does contribute to my scifi fix so I'm sure I'll continue watching.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    FIN-MAN wrote: »
    Not withstanding the lazy writing and bad acting by some, but after watching an episode does anybody else feel like nothing really was accomplished? Afterwards you kind of sit back and think OK that happened but its not advancing any type of real story. But I guess it does contribute to my scifi fix so I'm sure I'll continue watching.

I am kind of begrudgingly watching because I feel I should like it, but I am not excited to watch it as I should be...If that makes any kind of sense.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's like low doses of morphine for the brain. Each week you put it on, watch and not really understand why you did but next week you'll get another fix.
  • OxygenatedOxygenated Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's OK. I'm finding the mystery of who/what they are intriguing.

And it is funny that nothing ever works out for them financially.
  • Oscar_Oscar_ Posts: 3,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the latest (mind probe) episode quite enjoyable and the show overall is OK so far.
    I do feel that Dark Matter needs to find some sort of USP if it is to continue beyond a season or two though. Most of it does feel like a re-hashing of characters and scenarios we have all seen before. In the absence of anything revolutionary I think the best plan would be to accentuate the fun aspects of it and play it for laughs. Often the way to create a cult show is to have it work on more than one level. Anthony Lemke's Three character is irritating but he does make things a little more interesting as a thorn-in-the-side of the rest of the crew. He's no Zachary Smith yet though is he?
    Forum Member
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    It's like low doses of morphine for the brain. Each week you put it on, watch and not really understand why you did but next week you'll get another fix.
    I use it as filler. It's only 40 minutes and I watch it on a night when I have no other series to watch.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FIN-MAN wrote: »

This week we found out important backstory for three of the characters: the "kid", the badass sword dude, and the guy from 24/Continuum.

Not an amazing episode, but hardly a case of "not advancing any type of real story".
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I'm enjoying it so far.
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    This week we found out important backstory for three of the characters: the "kid", the badass sword dude, and the guy from 24/Continuum.

Not an amazing episode, but hardly a case of "not advancing any type of real story".
    Did we? Can you give me a recap as i've forgotten much of it.

A couple of weeks ago when 6 was at the doctors we found he was on the wanted database and we found out there was another Jake.

I thought it was last week when we found out sword guy killed his father?

The kid?

This week we found the 2 could heal quickly.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah. I think there's a bit of UK Pace / US Pace confusion here, sorry!
  • ninz39ninz39 Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    I just got round to watching this yesterday. Looks like a nice bunch of intriguing characters. Has potential, I reckon.

The android is Bo's girlfriend in Lost Girl. Took me a second to place her :D

ah yes, I knew I'd seen her before, I quite like this show, good so far
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't enjoy this episode so much......I have an aversion to shows which use too many flashbacks and non-linear time to tell the story

that Japanese type bloke and palace intrigue story bores me

but a couple of things were answered like the dead boy and the Continuum guy's 'good terrorist' past

Ideally I hope they get all this back story bumf out of the way in series one then start having adventures !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So things we learnt from Episode 6.

One grew up on a farm and was called Titch as a child.

Three wasn't very nice prior to the memory wipe (There's a shock).

Four was actually innocent of his Father's murder and was framed by his stepmother.

Five was a teenage Fagin but her gang of pickpockets were all killed after she lifted the mysterious keycard off someone.

Five now knows the passcode to the Vault but probably won't realise for a while.

Six was a terrorist/freedom fighter against the Galactic Authority (but didn't believe in killing innocents).

One thing I thought was a little weird was Six killing his fellow freedom fighters/terrorists. I can see him killing the guy who knew about the bomb but the other three had seemingly been as shocked as he was when they heard about it. Sure they may well have shot him if he had given them the chance but he could have tried talking to them as they may have been as appalled as he was about the bomb.

I did wonder if it was going to be revealed that he was an undercover agent for the GA but then he tries to commit suicide which suggests not (though it could be guilt that his mission cost the lives of 10,000 people I suppose).
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I'm guessing everyone of the crew will end up having some unique secret, they don't all have this quick healing power as we saw with Six the other week.
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    This week we found the 2 could heal quickly.

Even though there was nothing directly revealed about Two's past in the lastest episode, there was mention of immortality experiments. I guess her quick healing in last weeks episode could be a result of being part of those experiments in her previous life, making her valuable and most wanted.
    Forum Member
    I wonder how they're going to explain the rest of it then. They can't keep putting her back into a dream state. For a start it would get pretty boring - even though it wasn't a bad episode.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Five now knows the passcode to the Vault but probably won't realise for a while.

Do we know that for sure? I must have missed it :confused:
    One thing I thought was a little weird was Six killing his fellow freedom fighters/terrorists. I can see him killing the guy who knew about the bomb but the other three had seemingly been as shocked as he was when they heard about it. Sure they may well have shot him if he had given them the chance but he could have tried talking to them as they may have been as appalled as he was about the bomb.

When I watched that I only remember him shooting the two who were in on it. Did we actually see him shoot the other two? I figured they'd just cleared out or something. I was obviously not paying attention :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When I watched that I only remember him shooting the two who were in on it. Did we actually see him shoot the other two? I figured they'd just cleared out or something. I was obviously not paying attention :blush:

Five overhears One and Six discussing the code as she hides in the Vent. It's the name of a teacher Six had as a child.

Yeah six kills all four of the others. I thought only the Cell leader knew about the bomb, the 4th guy comes in and shows them the news item but I got the impression that he was as shocked about it as Six (and his two comrades) was.
  • BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought it was another good episode (I mean we aren't talking ground breaking tv here ) but for what the show is I find it an enjoyable watch ..I usually watch it at 6.30 in morning before I head to work as it doesn't require to much brain power ...

I have a feeling their "killer/bad guy" pasts are going to be "frame" jobs much like 4's killed his father story and 6's not an intentional killer ....and they were all set up by the GA or similar
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Five overhears One and Six discussing the code as she hides in the Vent. It's the name of a teacher Six had as a child.

Yeah six kills all four of the others. I thought only the Cell leader knew about the bomb, the 4th guy comes in and shows them the news item but I got the impression that he was as shocked about it as Six (and his two comrades) was.

We are meant to assume that the vault code is the name of 6's teacher. Could be a red herring.

I'm sure he only fired 3 times though. It's still in the 'deleted' section on the Sky planner. I'll check it again to make sure.
    i thought it was another good episode (I mean we aren't talking ground breaking tv here ) but for what the show is I find it an enjoyable watch ..I usually watch it at 6.30 in morning before I head to work as it doesn't require to much brain power ...

I have a feeling their "killer/bad guy" pasts are going to be "frame" jobs much like 4's killed his father story and 6's not an intentional killer ....and they were all set up by the GA or similar

Got that impression too.
    I think it ties in to part of my theory that 1 took on Jace's identity to infiltrate the crew as part of an investigation.