WIndows 10 update stuck at 0%

Updates are stuck at 0% after updating WIndows 10 to version 1607.

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More information needed.

Is it the 1607 update itself that is stuck?
    How long have you left it?
    If it's been more than a few hours, have you tried powering it down and restarting?
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also does it say which Updates are waiting in Settings > Update & Security.

Is it W10 Home or Pro? Wifi or LAN download?

Turn AntiVirus off temporarily

Press Windows key and R and type cleanmgr to have a good clear out (including System files) and try again.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's downloading and not preparing, you can restart Windows to give it a kick. Also sometimes it's just displaying of information that is stuck not the progress itself. It may help if you click to some other page within settings and then come back, it may redraw with the latest progress.
  • PercyBysshePercyBysshe Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    More information needed.

Is it the 1607 update itself that is stuck?
    How long have you left it?
    If it's been more than a few hours, have you tried powering it down and restarting?

My laptop updated to 1607 but won't download any subsequent updates. I have left it for several hours and it is still stuck at 0%.
    Forum Member
    Also does it say which Updates are waiting in Settings > Update & Security.

Is it W10 Home or Pro? Wifi or LAN download?

Turn AntiVirus off temporarily

Press Windows key and R and type cleanmgr to have a good clear out (including System files) and try again.

I have W10 Home and use Wifi. I use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Home Premium. I use Disk Cleanup and updates are still stuck at 0%.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even though it says do not switch off your PC if it stays like that for a while it will remember when it restarts and continue or finish the update process.

It's not the same as updating your BIOS, if that goes wrong you can kill your PC dead, although modern motherboards now seem to have an increasing number of ways to prevent and remedy that situation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check WiFi is not set to Metered.

Recent similar troubles. No clear cut single solution

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=windows+10+updates+stuck+at+0%25&tbs=qdr:m
  • jimmy22jimmy22 Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi my asus laptop won't take the anniversary edition of Windows 10 it only restarts once and stuck on asus logo I had to revert back to previous edition what can cure this all ideas welcome
    Forum Member

I tried that - it didn't work. :(
    Forum Member
    jimmy22 wrote: »
    Hi my asus laptop won't take the anniversary edition of Windows 10 it only restarts once and stuck on asus logo I had to revert back to previous edition what can cure this all ideas welcome

My laptop is an Asus Zenbook.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimmy22 wrote: »

Try this http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=83564258&postcount=18
  • jimmy22jimmy22 Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    Check WiFi is not set to Metered.

Recent similar troubles. No clear cut single solution

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=windows+10+updates+stuck+at+0%25&tbs=qdr:m

Metered was turned on.
    Select Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi > Manage known networks.
    Select the Wi-Fi network > Properties > turn off Set as metered connection.

Updates started.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really would not kill MS if they put there an error message "Current settings do not allow download of updates over a metered connection." Which apparently is a way how to stop Windows to do a mandatory download of updates, you can allow everything else over metered connection.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    It really would not kill MS if they put there an error message "Current settings do not allow download of updates over a metered connection." Which apparently is a way how to stop Windows to do a mandatory download of updates, you can allow everything else over metered connection.

Yes, but WiFi isn't a metered connection by default. You would hopefully remember that you changed the settings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Yes, but WiFi isn't a metered connection by default. You would hopefully remember that you changed the settings.

It would help with troubleshooting though, the OP either did not remember or somebody switched it for him.