Options

Looking after a baby seagull

13»

Comments

• Options
    sheddy99sheddy99 Posts: 5,760
    Forum Member
    I don't live by the sea, I work by it - I live inland, that is where the lazy seagulls have come to rip open our rubbish bags on bin day, plus try and kill our neighbour's pigeon chicks- but ignore me, even though I live here 365days a year I don't know what Im talking about and I am obviously deranged :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sheddy99 wrote: »
    I don't live by the sea, I work by it - I live inland, that is where the lazy seagulls have come to rip open our rubbish bags on bin day, plus try and kill our neighbour's pigeon chicks- but ignore me, even though I live here 365days a year I don't know what Im talking about and I am obviously deranged :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If your rubbish bags were in proper bins they couldn't access them to rip them open. And I don't doubt the gulls are taking chicks. They do that, as do birds like crows, rooks and raptors. Its what they do. Its just part of the ecosystem.
  • Options
    BinnmanBinnman Posts: 4,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this is slightly off-topic, but I had to share.

Wife and I have been putting out seed for a couple of Red-legged Partridges this year.

Look what we found yesterday! (It's one of four)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Rafair7643/Partridge.jpg

Binnman
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Binnman wrote: »
    I know this is slightly off-topic, but I had to share.

Wife and I have been putting out seed for a couple of Red-legged Partridges this year.

Look what we found yesterday! (It's one of four)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Rafair7643/Partridge.jpg

Binnman
    Awww it's so cute :)
  • Options
    BinnmanBinnman Posts: 4,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it just.

We've also been feeding 5 pheasants (2 male 3 female).

One of them, which has been named Phil the Pheasant, comes into the garden just before 5pm each day and roars for the seed to be put out! He then gets the girls to come down for a feed

btw: the other male is called Dessie the Phessie!

Binnman
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sheddy99 wrote: »

Goodness, how shocking!!
    I mean, it's not as if the human species kills animals for food, or messes up the environment, is it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    I dont think anyone would dispute the fact that seagulls go through bin bags etc but thats how they find their food. I cant count the amount of times I have had to clean up outside due to them ripping open the bags but theres nothing anyone can do about it except maybe use bins with lids. The council told us to pour bleach on the bags as the smell will deter the gulls from going near them, it wont kill them as they wont put their beaks near the bags.

By the way what the hell are raptors? they sound like something from the dinosour age.
  • Options
    sheddy99sheddy99 Posts: 5,760
    Forum Member
    lol I have no idea.
    as for putting them in bins, the council won't take them unless they're NOT in bins (no automatic bin lorries here)
    how's your little chick doing fluffydice?
  • Options
    charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fluffydice wrote: »
    I dont think anyone would dispute the fact that seagulls go through bin bags etc but thats how they find their food. I cant count the amount of times I have had to clean up outside due to them ripping open the bags but theres nothing anyone can do about it except maybe use bins with lids. The council told us to pour bleach on the bags as the smell will deter the gulls from going near them, it wont kill them as they wont put their beaks near the bags.

By the way what the hell are raptors? they sound like something from the dinosour age.

Raptors are birds of prey, i.e Kites (which we have plenty of round here, and beautiful they are too) and Sparrow Hawks etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    The little chick is doing well thanks sheddy, although hes not so little now! I dont think it will be much longer before he is flying off.

I dont think we have raptors round here, well Ive never seen one, the only weird bird I have seen is a big black thing with really long legs and a massive beak, he sits on a log in the harbour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Haha, sorry. Just used it as a catch all. A raptor is a bird of prey. The word raptor comes from the Latin that means "to seize and carry away", and is assigned to any bird that kills with its feet. Hawks, eagles, falcons, osprey, and owls are all raptors. And yes, its known now that birds are the direct decendents of the dinosaurs, which I think is very cool indeed!! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The little chick is doing well thanks sheddy, although hes not so little now! I dont think it will be much longer before he is flying off.

I dont think we have raptors round here, well Ive never seen one, the only weird bird I have seen is a big black thing with really long legs and a massive beak, he sits on a log in the harbour.

There are lots of birds of all sorts round your way. Both Lodmoor and Radipole RSPB reserve are just up the road and its full of birds - and you have lots of countryside around you full of rabbits and rodents etc etc. Kestrels, falcons, owls etc etc abound given the amount of prey. Not in the centre, but not far away. You see LOTS of kestrels, hovering over roadsides. The bird in the harbour could be a heron. They are grey and white with some black.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/g/greyheron/index.asp
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live in Berkshire and about 3 years ago Red Kites started to appear in the area.
    Their numbers have increased rapidly and they are a common sight now.

It's a magnificent sight watching them as they circle like Vultures while watching for prey.

http://www.redkites.co.uk/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    charlie1 wrote: »
    I live in Berkshire and about 3 years ago Red Kites started to appear in the area.
    Their numbers have increased rapidly and they are a common sight now.

It's a magnificent sight watching them as they circle like Vultures while watching for prey.

http://www.redkites.co.uk/

Yes, I've seen them in the Wycombe area, when out that way visiting friends.

Amazing that at one time the population was down to 1 female bird. I love success stories like this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jon8769 wrote: »
    Yes, I've seen them in the Wycombe area, when out that way visiting friends.

Amazing that at one time the population was down to 1 female bird. I love success stories like this.

I know this may sound strange, but I feel really privileged and chuffed when I see the Kites.

If it wasn't for the horrible, noisy, overcrowded area that I live in, I would think I was living in a beautiful prairie somewhere.