Converting to Humax

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
Forum Member
Could anyone please tell if you can convert AVI files from your pc so they can be copied to the Humax and watched on the TV?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    rebmit wrote:
    Could anyone please tell if you can convert AVI files from your pc so they can be copied to the Humax and watched on the TV?

It's theoretically possible, but not trivial - it would be easier to buy a simple USB device that let you conect your TV to your PC and play the AVI from the PC...

If you really want to try then a seach of various posts on this forum would probably lead you there, but be prepared for a few hours research and then a few hours just to get your first file converted and loaded on to the Hummy - and then some further trial & error to ensure it all worked.

In other words, unless you are already quite expert in PC video formats, usb connections and the inner workings of the PVR then don't expect to make this work quickly!

Good luck if your try.

Jonathan
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Tks for the reply, i did have a little giggle to myself reading through it thinking OH MY GOD............ Maybe it would be worth watching on my pc instead.
    If there is anyone who knows an easy way then please reply....

What format is the hummy written in?
  • Barry.WilliamsBarry.Williams Posts: 834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rebmit wrote:

There should be no problem at all in converting AVI files. There is plenty of standard PC software that will convert them into almost any format.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    rebmit wrote:
    Maybe it would be worth watching on my pc instead.

Sorry if my post put you off trying, I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic! There are some documented bugs in this process as well, but careful reading of other people's success will avoid them.

You'll find the details in this thread:
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=293178

And a post from someone who's trying to do the same as you ask at:
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=365182

But noone has answered his question yet....

Good luck

Jonathan
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    My solution to this is to use a Freecom Network Media Player aka the MG-35.

It doesn't have RGB out so it connected to the SCART input of the Humax via a smart scart switched, which also have inputs for my DVD and VCR.

I'd love a media player with UPnP and scart out, but the MG-35 has the best media support of any player I've tried, and ultimately this is what's important. It's also the hardest to check before purchase!

Ian
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rebmit wrote:
    Tks for the reply, i did have a little giggle to myself reading through it thinking OH MY GOD............ Maybe it would be worth watching on my pc instead.

The Hummy is not a Media Center so trying to turn it into one (i.e. trying to load it with video files) will be problematic (Humax thought about MP3s and JPEGs but NOT video) if not hazardous (break the machine) and also requiring a lot of effort (and time - USB transfers/conversion of files).

Here are some alternative suggestions to achieve a Media Center in your living room:

1. Purchase a graphics card with TV-out and hook up your PC to your TV.
    2. Buy a specific media player (e.g. a portable SVCD/VCD/DVD/DivX/Xvid player) and hook it up to your TV. You will need to burn the video files onto CDR or DVDR.
    3. Buy a specific Media Player/Center box and stream video from your PC. You will need at least a simple network for this.
    4. Buy a more expensive Media Player/Center with a hard drive to store and play your videos (as well as stream).
    5. Buy a cheap Xbox and mod it to run XBMC and use it to stream video. You will need a simple network (as in 2) or you can upgrade the HDD in the Xbox to store and play video (as in 3).
    6. Wait and then buy the Reelbox and do all of the above including what the Hummy does. (This one is dedicated to rhubarbe!).

The list is in order of price (cheap to expensive). Some effort will have to be put into achieving some of them (e.g. the Xbox mod).
  • PadrePadre Posts: 1,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    son_t wrote:
    2. Buy a specific media player (e.g. a portable SVCD/VCD/DVD/DivX/Xvid player) and hook it up to your TV. You will need to burn the video files onto CDR or DVDR.

This is probably the best option as most cheap DVD players will play an mpeg file without the need of converting it to DVD, SVCD or VCD. There is a multitude of free file converters out there to convert every video format to mpeg.

Its a simple case of converting the file, if it needs converting and then burning the file direct to CD/DVD, placing in the DVD player and watching.