Work Christmas Cards - Muslim Colleague

2»

Comments

• Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    I think it's us that is more sensitive about it.

I have worked with people of different faiths in the past. They recognise that Christmas is a UK national holiday and enjoy the festivities - just in their way.

I have sent, and received Christmas cards to and from Muslims, Hindi etc.

In a reciprocal and welcome gesture Muslim colleagues in he past have sent Eid cards and brought in some spectacular food to celebrate the end of Ramadan.

If, however you feel the Christmas message is TOO strong don't get an overtly religious card, just one that says season greetings.
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    I'd go with the option of not writing Christmas cards and instead making a donation to a reputable charity, or buying some lunch for a couple of homeless people. Make it clear you've done this. You'll be helping the environment, helping the needy, no envelopes to write, and nobody to be offended.

Or if you really MUST write cards go with a seasonal card or happy holidays type thing rather than strong Christian message.

You could also bake some tasty treats (include some vegan and gluten free and nut allergy friendly) and take them in instead.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Surely if this colleague is the nicest, sweetest person you'll ever meet, you actually know them, so you should already know the answer to your question.
  • QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talk about over complicating things. She's a work colleague - just ask her!
  • MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen a Muslim colleague offended by a card where the sender crossed out "Merry Christmas" and replaced it with "Happy Holidays". It's a minefield OP.
  • karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found a card for my colleague that said "let it snow" on the front and on the inside, crossed out Christmas and wrote day off above it. I knew she would find it funny.
  • Bagshot85Bagshot85 Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    They do think that. Most of them also think that they are praying to the same God. They just think that Jews and Christians are doing it a bit wrong.

It's generally only the fundamentalists on both sides who dislike the idea of 'sharing' their sky fairy.

Well, we believe in Joseph and Mary, and the miracle birth when the Angel Jibraeel broke the news to the virgin Maryum that she'd be giving birth to Isa/Jesus.
    The only difference is, we don't believe he was the son of of God, but a prophet of Allah.

To answer the Op's question, I'd feel slightly peeved if I was left out in the Christmas cards giving. I've received gifts and cards and given them out too. I'm sure she wouldn't want to feel singled out.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you look at most of the cards on offer these days, they have all manner of pictures depicting anything but religion, but a large percentage still have "Merry/Happy Christmas" on the inside. Im sure many millions have disassociated that phrase with religion, it doesn't even cross my mind when Im handing cards out to colleagues of work who are from varied religious backgrounds. Iv never had any issues arising from it.
  • HP.80 VictorHP.80 Victor Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi DS :)

I am bringing in christmas cards for my work colleagues tomorrow, but I have a Muslim colleague (who I'm friends with) but I know she doesnt celebrate christmas. If I give her a card (they all have a centre message of "merry christmas" is that offensive?) Because I don't want to NOT give her a christmas card and have her feel left out

Thanks

You're TAKING in cards, not bringing! How can you bring something to a place where you're not actually at yet?

****ing 'American' English has a lot to answer for.
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    Basically most People who are of muslim faith aren't offended and accept our christmas festivities it's the bloody councils of this country making a mountain out of a mole hill and causing all this stupidness.
  • ziggy*stardustziggy*stardust Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    howardl wrote: »
    Basically most People who are of muslim faith aren't offended and accept our christmas festivities it's the bloody councils of this country making a mountain out of a mole hill and causing all this stupidness.

Exactly. In my local Asda they even have a sign up for ordering Halal Turkeys! Think that says it all haha! :p If you want to give a card, give a card.
  • Hamish ManciniHamish Mancini Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    Don't overthink it. In the UK, a greetings card is a gesture of goodwill - regardless of the religion of the recipient. If you're concerned about it 'feeling' like a big deal then just hand her card out as part of the stack as you're going around the office so it just becomes an inclusive gesture in the workplace.

EVERYONE has the capacity to feel excluded but very few people would take offence to an intentionally nice gesture. If you took in a Christmas cake/chocolates for your colleagues, you wouldn't tell your Muslim colleague not to eat them as the holiday doesn't apply to them. You'd leave them in the kitchen with a nice note wishing everyone well and let them help themselves.

In the unlikely event she brings up that she doesn't celebrate Christmas then just make light of it with a jovial "It also doubles as a drinks coaster" (or similar) and in the EXTREMELY unlikely event she takes offence then just say you wasn't sure but didn't want to leave anyone out.

Chances are she'll smile, say thank you, put your card on her desk (out of politeness if nothing else) and take your nice gesture as it was intended. Worst case scenario is that she bins it after you've gone home. And then you know for next year.

Never fear being nice to nice people OP. It isn't about what you say/do but the sentiment behind it. :)

Ultimately, people need to start realising the difference and just get on with getting along rather than looking for offenders/offendees to flag up for maximum virtue-signal points. :snowflake:
  • Hamish ManciniHamish Mancini Posts: 238
    Forum Member

*high-five* :santahatdude:
  • MadgeMadge Posts: 6,492
    Forum Member
    QTC13 wrote: »
    Talk about over complicating things. She's a work colleague - just ask her!

Precisely! OP you say you're friends with this girl, so what on earth is all the angst about??
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it though? Most of these stories about Councils doing this are either misleading or completely false and made up by the tabloid press.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I have an Indian friend and herself and her family are all Hindu. They celebrate Diwali and all those festivals but they also celebrate Christmas and send Christmas cards and gifts. I assume they have a Christmas tree as well :xmastree: When I was in school there were some Muslim and Hindu students in my year and they were fine with Christmas. They took an interest in it and I seem to remember one of them even went to our Christmas carol service, maybe out of curiosity to see what it was all about :santahatdude: It was a Catholic school but the teachers welcomed them and often talked to them about their countries and cultures. This was in Ireland btw.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have friends in Turkey who are Muslim - they send us a Xmas card and we send them one. No one takes offence. We were also invited to join them for Bairam, which is a Muslim festival for families.

SWMBO and I are atheist, and don't care what religion people observe, so long as they don't try to convert us.

And our sending of Xmas cards is more about Santa Claus than whatsis name allegedly being born.
  • Veeb1Veeb1 Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear... All that angst over a card. Before I retired I gave Muslim friends at work a card along with everyone else. There was no offence meant or taken. After all, the one's with children at school will have had their children attending Christmas parties and concerts . I used to buy a selection box for a Muslim colleague's child and this was never a problem. At Eid, she would bring in a box of biscuits and Asian sweets.
  • rathcoole_kairathcoole_kai Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Dave_Herts wrote: »
    Muslim colleagues i work with, enjoy the family get togethers, gifts, trees etc & attend the work Christmas Party.

One told me that they believeJesus was a prophet, and have no real issue in people celebrating his birth,

I have a Muslim friend and we say happy Christmas to each other.
    Don't send cards though.
    Only because we're to mean lol.

Seeing its it work this can be tricky.
    You do hear/ read about Christians offering to pray for other faiths or none and getting sacked over it.