Options

Buying advice - splashing out on 1080p?

Hi, hope you can give me some guidance.

My aunt and uncle are planning to get a new flatscreen TV (probably 32") and were recommended an £800 1080p set by one retailer. Now my issue is, they are not into DVDs so have no intention of getting bluray, and are not interested in any of the HD gaming things.

If there are no plans on the horizon to actually broadcast in 1080p quality, then are they not better off saving their money and getting a more standard 1080i/720p set - 32" for around £500?

What are your thoughts?

Many thanks :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    what were they offered?
  • Options
    skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1080 screen res does not always mean a better picture. The qualityof the screen, the quality of the picture processor, and the sound quality are all important factors, as is styling. At that screen size I wouldn't dream of saying 1080p was an essential, even if going for blu-ray it should still look stunning on a decent set. If they are prepared to spend upto £800 they should spend this on the set they think (by viewing them) gives them the best image and sound. Remember that a TV at £500 will generally not be as good all round as an £800 set. If it was, everybody would sell their sets at £500.
    People nowadays assume that a lower price is better value for money when generally the a just lower quality. Value for money in my mind means gettng the best i can affod that suits my needs. Otherwise I just dont ejoy the item purchased anywhere near as much.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Panasonic Viera TX32LZD85 is the best I have seen. So I bought one.
    John Lewis have them at £949 but they will do it cheaper. I got one for £779 from John Lewis to match Weymouth HiFi's price. John Lewis supply a 5 year warranty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    Thanks all for your comments :). The one suggested to them was I believe a Panny. I have no doubts that it is a fantastic set but my point is, if they are not going to benefit from the 1080p because they only watch telly and don't play games or DVDs, then they can get the same size Panny telly (or Samsung etc) for about £300 less - and that would still be a great telly.

I'm steering towards recommending that for them and to use some of the money saved to buy a decent twin tuner PVR like the Humax. Unless anyone can truly say that a 1080p TV would be a noticeable improvement for SD or broadcast HD pics... They *are* willing to pay £800, but I don't want to see them paying that on a salesman's recommendation when I don't feel they would ever see the benefit of the 1080p quality. What d'ya reckon?
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh_Matron wrote: »
    Thanks all for your comments :). The one suggested to them was I believe a Panny. I have no doubts that it is a fantastic set but my point is, if they are not going to benefit from the 1080p because they only watch telly and don't play games or DVDs, then they can get the same size Panny telly (or Samsung etc) for about £300 less - and that would still be a great telly.

I'm steering towards recommending that for them and to use some of the money saved to buy a decent twin tuner PVR like the Humax. Unless anyone can truly say that a 1080p TV would be a noticeable improvement for SD or broadcast HD pics... They *are* willing to pay £800, but I don't want to see them paying that on a salesman's recommendation when I don't feel they would ever see the benefit of the 1080p quality. What d'ya reckon?
    Getting a PVR is a massive improvement and makes much more sense than getting a full HD 1080p TV when they don't need it.