The Snowman

Comments

• grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Is there a version of The Snowman on DVD with the original Briggs intro? The one C4 show now has Mel Smith as Father Christmas. Worse, he talks through the 1st few secs of the opening music! :(
    Forum Member
    Just watched it, awwwww :):(
  • FoggerFogger Posts: 3,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it and the time just flew by! - Not bad for a cartoon without words.

Still timeless and great.
  • captainmccoycaptainmccoy Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My US dvd has the original version of The Snowman with the Briggs intro , the original end credits and the complete picture .

I bought the Anniversary edition for the documentary and decided to watch that version this year.

No Briggs intro and widescreen I knew about but having watched it I will be going back to the proper one next year.

The Bowie intro is a bonus feature on the Anniversary dvd.

You should be able to trawl Amazon for a cheap copy of the earlier dvd that will have the original version
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I do find it hard to now to separate the piece from the endless source of parody it's fuelled over the years, I have to admit that the ethereal timbre of the boy's voice and the instrumention in those first few bars of 'Walking In The Air' really does make me 'freeze' and sends shivers down my spine - it's certainly true that music can have power over people at a fundamental level.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Is there a version of The Snowman on DVD with the original Briggs intro? The one C4 show now has Mel Smith as Father Christmas. Worse, he talks through the 1st few secs of the opening music! :(

I only own the R2 (UK) Universal released The Snowman/Father Christmas DVD so that's the only one I'm exactly sure of. I was thinking about importing the R1 (USA) Sony released DVD myself but haven't got around to doing it yet.

Hope this helps people! :D

EDIT: Looks like captainmccoy kinda got there before me. But I'm not sure what he means by "the original version" because the R1 (USA) Sony released DVD is the only DVD I know that has the original opening, and that one is still being published. So it's not really an earlier copy. It was only published in 2006! :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=zoton2;37477159EDIT: Looks like captainmccoy kinda got there before me. But I'm not sure what he means by "the original version" because the R1 (USA) Sony released DVD is the only DVD I know that has the original opening, and that one is still being published. So it's not really an earlier copy. It was only published in 2006! :confused:[/QUOTE]
    It is earlier - it was available on R1 over a year before the UK got it - maybe even earlier

The R1 version which is a double bill with the US version of Father Xmas (no Mel Smith voiceover) was one of the dvd's I bought in 1998

Obviously the US has had re-releases like the UK has.

Release date 1/12/98

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snowman-Father-Christmas-Region-NTSC/dp/0767826701/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1261693913&sr=8-9

Despite being mentioned in the cast list by Amazon - David Bowie is nowhere to be seen on that disc

I can't believe there is no UK disc without the Briggs intro.
    I would opt for the first UK dvd

This UK dvd seems to have the original intro but is in widescreen

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raymond-Briggs-Snowman-Special-DVD/dp/B00006RHVE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1261694426&sr=1-6
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is earlier - it was available on R1 over a year before the UK got it - maybe even earlier

The R1 version which is a double bill with the US version of Father Xmas (no Mel Smith voiceover) was one of the dvd's I bought in 1998

Obviously the US has had re-releases like the UK has.

Release date 1/12/98

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snowman-Father-Christmas-Region-NTSC/dp/0767826701/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1261693913&sr=8-9

Despite being mentioned in the cast list by Amazon - David Bowie is nowhere to be seen on that disc

I can't believe there is no UK disc without the Briggs intro.
    I would opt for the first UK dvd
    Oh OK, thanks for clearing that up! :D

If someone would want the R1 (USA) Sony released DVD, try on Amazon Marketplace, moviemars-usa has it for £4.44. When I've used them before they've been fine, but a bit slow. I'm assuming it's the cheaper delivery they use, because I've had DVDs come from the USA sent 1st class, and they arrive in just over a week, while moviemars-usa usually takes a few weeks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats odd .
    When I went to the site earlier the double bill said "from £8.03":confused:

Edit- just checked . Your link is not the disc I was linking too

Even Amazon seem confused over that one.

Once again it mentions Bowie , the running time is listed as 25 minutes , yet further down it says it also includes Father Xmas which the cover does not mention
    Forum Member
    Shall I take a chance on the Sony released R1? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shall I take a chance on the Sony released R1? :confused:

If you want to be sure of the original intro and the correct non widescreen ratio then the link I placed above to the 1998 dvd for just over £8 is the one to go for and you'll even get a chance to see what you think of the US version of Father Xmas without Mel Smith too
    Forum Member
    Thanks! I grew up with Mel Smith as Father Xmas.
    Forum Member
    Just ordered it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think The Snowman is probably one of the most magical films ever made. I've loved it since I first saw it (about 23 or 24 years ago) and I still love watching it at Christmas.

Love it. Love it. Love it. :D
  • sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    Jequila wrote: »
    I think The Snowman is probably one of the most magical films ever made. I've loved it since I first saw it (about 23 or 24 years ago) and I still love watching it at Christmas.

Love it. Love it. Love it. :D

I am in total agreement Jequila. It's truly magical. :)
    Forum Member
    I bought the 1998 DVD but paid a bit more (£8.80 instead of £8.03) so I could get it Like New. I hope it has the Briggs intro as thats how I've always seen it and it makes the film more nostalgic IMO, even sad :):(
    The ending is happy/sad because the Snowman is gone but it shows his adventure must have been real.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought the 1998 DVD but paid a bit more (£8.80 instead of £8.03) so I could get it Like New. I hope it has the Briggs intro as thats how I've always seen it and it makes the film more nostalgic IMO, even sad :):(
    The ending is happy/sad because the Snowman is gone but it shows his adventure must have been real.

I'm not sure just how "new " an 11 year old dvd can be.
    Unless the £8.03 one had some listed defects I would have gone for that one.

Let us know when you get it.

I ordered a couple of US dvd's from Amazon sellers yesterday but I'm not expecting them to arrive until at least Jan 8
    Forum Member
    It didnt list any defects AFAIK but Like New sounded more reliable than Used - Good IMO so I went for that :)
    Forum Member
    Hey,
    I got the disc today and thanks to captainmccoy for pointing it out - the original Briggs intro is there and end credits are intact - spot on :)
    With the music in NTSC (the proper speed, slower than PAL TV speed) it sounds even more haunting :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey,
    I got the disc today and thanks to captainmccoy for pointing it out - the original Briggs intro is there and end credits are intact - spot on :)
    With the music in NTSC (the proper speed, slower than PAL TV speed) it sounds even more haunting :(

Surely the seller was not in the US ?:eek:

I watched the widescreen anniversary bodgeup this year but I'll be going back to that original dvd next year
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the seller was not in the US ?:eek:
    I'm assuming it was a UK seller to get it that quick. ;):D

I still feel like buying the 2006 released one with The Snowman on it's own because although it's not the one you've got, quite a few of the reviews say it has the original introduction (when Amazon lists it as having the David Bowie one) so I'm assuming it has the original introduction. Have a look here from late 2006 (when it was released), then have a look here from late 2008, and here from late(ish) 2009. I'm assuming by that, that Sony never included it but some sites advertise it as having it. I've seen a scan of the case and it doesn't mention it either. I'll probably buy it soon and then I'll find out! And it's not really that expensive either anyway.
  • jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to everyone here for all the links to get the correct version- after watching the butchered mess that C4 showed I'll certainly be buying one of the original versions on DVD to watch with my family next Christmas.

Does anyone whos got the Sony 2006 US released DVD know if its locked to R1 or is actually all regions? Thats the only thing that puts me off buying it- I've no problem playing R1 discs but relatives (where we might be watching it) could do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jeffersbnl wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone here for all the links to get the correct version- after watching the butchered mess that C4 showed I'll certainly be buying one of the original versions on DVD to watch with my family next Christmas.

Does anyone whos got the Sony 2006 US released DVD know if its locked to R1 or is actually all regions? Thats the only thing that puts me off buying it- I've no problem playing R1 discs but relatives (where we might be watching it) could do.
    Like I said I'll be buying it soon, but I'm assuming it'll be region 1 locked. I've got a Sony DVD from this year from the USA and it's locked to region 1. But because it's not a very long film (The Snowman I'm talking about now!) you could copy it to a blank DVD while making it region free on your computer without needing to re-encode anything. As long as their TV supported NTSC (which most "modern" ones do, I haven't seen one that doesn't in ages) then you'd be alright.

Hope this helps! :cool:
  • jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks- yes I've ripped another DVD I've got to make a region free copy- but that was ages ago. I didn't think it was possible with my current machine, but it appears it might be- I'll have a try with a R1 (or R4) disc and see what happens!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unlike Blurays , the region coding on dvd's is strictly adhered to by all the Hollywood studios , although you sometimes get dual coded discs for convenience but these are usually R2 and R4 so they can sell the PAL disc in the UK and Oz.
    zoton2 wrote: »
    Like I said I'll be buying it soon, but I'm assuming it'll be region 1 locked. I've got a Sony DVD from this year from the USA and it's locked to region 1. But because it's not a very long film (The Snowman I'm talking about now!) you could copy it to a blank DVD while making it region free on your computer without needing to re-encode anything. As long as their TV supported NTSC (which most "modern" ones do, I haven't seen one that doesn't in ages) then you'd be alright.

Hope this helps! :cool:

I've always found that if your PC dvd player is not enabled to play R1 discs you can't use it to copy them either.
    Thanks- yes I've ripped another DVD I've got to make a region free copy- but that was ages ago. I didn't think it was possible with my current machine, but it appears it might be- I'll have a try with a R1 (or R4) disc and see what happens!

Unless your pc dvd drive is one made by Matsushita over the last few years you should be able to download a free program to make it MR if it isn't already

If your drive is Matsushita you could use up on of your user region changes if you've not done any yet .

Don't rely on a R4 disc as many are coded for R2 aswell .

BBC and many Universal dvd's are dual coded and titles from Umbrella Entertainment who sell classic British tv shows are all region free despite being listed as R4 on Oz websites.

Try a R1 dvd from Fox if you can