camera angles

lakeslakes Posts: 4,743
Forum Member
✭✭✭
not sure how many of you picked up on this last night but for a few of the x factor contestants they were very poor. Take Janet, only a few shots of her face, most of the shots where from the back, side and a long way off.

unlike say Misha B, 95% of the shots where face on.

not sure how many of you have seen janets clips on youtube, but her face sells the song.

I think that Marcus could have been filmed better.

its strange how poor some of the filming has been done this year, might be a new team doing it but i do fell that some of the contestants are being let down by it.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lakes wrote: »
    not sure how many of you picked up on this last night but for a few of the x factor contestants they were very poor. Take Janet, only a few shots of her face, most of the shots where from the back, side and a long way off.

not sure how many of you have seen janets clips on youtube, but her face sells the song.

its strange how poor some of the filming has been done this year, might be a new team doing it but i do fell that some of the contestants are being let down by it.
    Yes, I notice this regularly. My guess is that Kelly actually spoke to the camera director this week as part of her save Misha campaign.

You're spot on about Janet as well.
  • Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree! The shots of the people they are trying to get rid of are ALWAYS 80% far away shots.

It is actually the eyes/faces/emotion of the contestants that people connect to the most. Look at Leona Lewis's version of Summer Time. Okay, she sang incredible, but the shots of her face also helped, especially the close up shot of her face right at the end: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aLpfHxEqj0 The performance absolutely blew me away when I first watched it... and the close-up of her face wowed me just as much!

I think they are trying to get rid of poor Janet :)
  • shraineshraine Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know tht the main producers that normally work on set are in America. So could be a new team.
  • Bob EvansBob Evans Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lakes wrote: »

Maybe cost cutting perhaps they are using fewer cameras
  • swaydeto12swaydeto12 Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    when he talked to the contestants last sunday janet looked so miserable and pissed off, as per usual ...
  • Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Janet would be better off if she went out before the final.

I really didn't like her at the start but the more that's come out about her being difficult and insisting on having things her way - rather than the sweet unspoilt little girl from a toiny village in Oireland - the more I've warmed to her. :o

She has a distinctive voice and style, still not my cup of tea but I can see what Louis means when he keeps saying she is a potential recording star.

The last thing she needs is to be eaten up by the Syco machine for a couple of years if she doesn't like being told what to do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I picked up o the Janet one.

I thought is was to minimise the fact she just looks miserable when on stage TBH.
  • lakeslakes Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I picked up o the Janet one.

I thought is was to minimise the fact she just looks miserable when on stage TBH.

but thats just it, last night she did not, with her its all to do with the smile and eyes, there are a few other where the way they look into the camera works so well, but as the show has gone on their chance to do that has gone.

the only way janet could make itv stay on her face is if she walked on naked lol.
    I do feel for all of them that are getting poor camera angles......and mic volume (but thats another thread lol)
  • HughOSHughOS Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's extremely frustrating. I don't want to watch a performance from the back of the audience, I want to see more close ups of the contestants when they're singing. I don't need constant cutaways to the judges either. One or two during the whole segment is fine but not every second shot.