What technology are you glad you missed out on?

Comments

• noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just watching 3,2,1 and one of the prizes was a video 8 camcorder. It was big, about the size of a shoe box.

I couldn't afford one at the time, but I'm glad I couldn't as they were way too big and the videos haven't lasted.

What technology are you glad you missed out on?

i got a video 8 camcorder, it not working any more, but I still got some videos recorded that I have now digitised thanks to borrowing my sister-in-laws video 8 camcorder.

In their day they was one of the better systems, VHS was naff compared to video 8.

a larger camcorder is better in some ways, which is one of the reasons pro and semi-pro camcorders are still large, because they are easier to keep stable.

Mr Teacake wrote: »
    Mini disc players

I got one of them as well, I got it a bit late mind you , more or less when MP3 was starting to make a impact. i love my mini disk player.

Not that I really missed out on them, but I was late coming into the DVD market, so I am glad I was. i did not have to pay the stupid high prices for the equipment.

I am glad I missed out on DCC or digital compact cassette.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    Chamber pots.
    laurie53 wrote: »
    The guillotine.

These two are the most intelligent answers given in this thread. The majority are bemoaning advances in technology that have led us to what we have today and don't deserve much of their criticism. They were cutting edge technology in their day, how I yearned for a VHS recorder and a mobile phone, albeit as big as a brick, was something that only the yuppies could afford but I would have bitten off the hand of someone who offered me one.

I enjoyed every single advance that was made on things that we just take for granted these days. Look where TV tennis took us, Skyrim!!!!:D
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mobile phones - so far, and I see no reason to live out the rest of my life any differently

Flat screen TVs - although I have a couple of spare CRTs waiting in the wings, if I live a normal lifespan I might have to give in on that one eventually.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »
    Laser disc players....

Was saving up for one, when it came clear there wouldnt be a lot of choice regarding discs.....

Same here I had saved up the money to buy one but went on holiday to the US in late '97 and saw DVD for the first time and then brought one of the first ones released in the UK. At that time there was only about 15-20 films available here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most recently, probably HD-DVDs. I'm glad I waited until the whole HD-DVD vs. Blu ray thing was resolved.

In the past, although I still have a Minidisc player, I am a little sad they didn't take off - they had potential.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InTheNow wrote: »
    Nothing like the minty fresh feeling from a bidet. Toilet paper or wet wipes don't go anywhere near it. Europeans think the British are dirty for not using them.

Really? My German in-laws don't have a bidet, and none of the home that I've visited in Germany do. Or in Italy for that matter.
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before digital cameras arrived,I remember desperately wanting a Kodak disc camera.They were exactly like ordinary cameras but apparently easier to put the film into.
    By the time I saved up for one they were obselete!
    Don't think I missed out on much.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Command line pc's (thanks for the Mac, Steve jobs, rip)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulsh1 wrote: »
    Before digital cameras arrived,I remember desperately wanting a Kodak disc camera.They were exactly like ordinary cameras but apparently easier to put the film into.

My mum had one of them, they was awful. sure the film was easy to load, but they was expensive for the few photos you could get, expensive to process and the quality was not that great.

i have no idea where it went, i think it gave up the ghost years ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    Mobile phones - so far, and I see no reason to live out the rest of my life any differently

I don't blame you, I wish I never got one to start with. Now it would be almost impossible to get rid of it as people expect me to have now.

Also with no real home phone as such, I do need it now.
    Flat screen TVs - although I have a couple of spare CRTs waiting in the wings, if I live a normal lifespan I might have to give in on that one eventually.

Again i don't blame you, i was happy with my JMB 28inch TV, i saw no reason to change, but a friend of mine got me the 42inch plasma I now got.

When the plasma goes belly up I may go back to the JMB. i still think the old CRT sets are better than most LCD sets, but i must admit my plasma is pretty good.
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    I still have a CRT TV and not really bothered about the new HD sets. With the old skool TV's it actually has a screen! the new ones havent and are easily breakable. I feel these days things are not built to last just so that you spend more money about a year later because its given up the ghost. I had my telly since 2002 and the downstairs one we have is an old Daewoo tv/video combi, it still works great after 12 years so why change it?
  • WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mini disc players

MD Players / Recorders were absolutely amazing. If only they'd come earlier to complete their mission of killing off Satan's own format, the "Compact Cassette"

It was for dictaphones you hear me, NOT full range audio!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I am glad I missed out on DCC or digital compact cassette.

Now that was a joke. Another of Phillips's practical jokes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    Mobile phones - so far, and I see no reason to live out the rest of my life any differently.

I understand. You live in Norfolk. :D
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lesleyanne wrote: »
    Really? My German in-laws don't have a bidet, and none of the home that I've visited in Germany do. Or in Italy for that matter.

And also I have stayed in a lot of supposedly decent quality hotels throughout Western Europe, and very rarely do any of those offer a bidet either. Nor do we see them in public toilets.

I nominate any of these "revolutionary new" exercise machines that appear on television, which claim you will lose 3 stone in as many weeks and give you the physique of an Olympian.
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    MiniDisc are great - when all you had was tapes then came along editing live recordings in digital clarity with something the size of a box of cigs - all in one - then it was like a breath of fresh air. I got one of the first in 1995 (it was a DSG staff special, the MZ-R30 for £150 instead of £300).

My nomination is for early medicine and 1800's quack formulas like 'chokey mousey' where a fried mouse is swallowed and then pulled back out by its tail (cold cure).
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Funk You wrote: »
    I still have a CRT TV and not really bothered about the new HD sets. With the old skool TV's it actually has a screen! the new ones havent and are easily breakable. I feel these days things are not built to last just so that you spend more money about a year later because its given up the ghost. I had my telly since 2002 and the downstairs one we have is an old Daewoo tv/video combi, it still works great after 12 years so why change it?

If flat panel sets don't have a screen, then what ido you call the part of the TV where the picture is displayed?

The aerial? :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    iCrap
    HD-DVD, I made sure not to support it - went BluRay while HDDVD was still alive

As to the others

Large video cameras were more stable
    Betamax was best video format at its time, my portable is heavy but still works
    Minidisc was great - I still use it
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Bluetooth headsets.Do you know you look like a tit ?
  • decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mini disc players

Good call - we got one and thought we were the mutts nuts...then everything went flaming digital! Oh what fools we were! All we ever played on our MD player was 2 compilations that we made :mad:
    Forum Member
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    If flat panel sets don't have a screen, then what ido you call the part of the TV where the picture is displayed?

The aerial? :rolleyes:

Its a screen yes but its not made of glass is it, its not really that sturdy and if you drop anything on it it cracks easily. With a proper glass screen it would bounce off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »
    Its a screen yes but its not made of glass is it, its not really that sturdy and if you drop anything on it it cracks easily. With a proper glass screen it would bounce off.
    It's not as if one lays the TV down on its back to watch it though, so it's unlikely anything could be dropped onto the screen. Thrown into, yes, but dropped, I think not.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »
    Laser disc players....

Was saving up for one, when it came clear there wouldnt be a lot of choice regarding discs.....
    My friend has a laserdisc player. They never took off over here but in some countries they were very popular. One thing I will say is the films make great collectors items as they come in very high quality cases with lots of nice artwork and extra bits. I know I was very envious of his special edition copy of Terminator 2 and Jurrasic Park (amongst various other more obscure titles). In terms of picture and sound quality they were superior to VHS, it was just the swapping them over that was a pain. I know some players could read both sides of the disc but most titles were still spread out across several discs so it was inevitable you would have to get up and change them over.
    Forum Member
    It's not as if one lays the TV down on its back to watch it though, so it's unlikely anything could be dropped onto the screen. Thrown into, yes, but dropped, I think not.

Thrown, dropped but yeah it would crack easily if something was thrown at it. I remember a friend telling me he had a row with his GF and she chucked a mug of tea at him but missed and it cracked his new HD TV screen. With a CRT TV it would just bounce off
  • Calibans DreamCalibans Dream Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulsh1 wrote: »

The negatives on those were so bloody small the grain on the film was huge! Forget about trying to enlarge a picture.