Vasectomy - advice please

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
Forum Member
Has anyone had a vasectomy?
I have 2 kids- and don't want any more. Wife agrees totally.

Pill and other forms of female contraception are not really an option for her due to other medical issues.

So chop for me which I'm fine with.
However I have been reading horror stories on the Internet about pain and long lasting issues. Loads of men saying don't do it.
I'm not hearing any good news lol.

So I'm asking, what experiences have you had? Best choice you ever made?
Was it quick? Any long term effects?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Anubis wrote: »

Pill and other forms of female contraception are not really an option for her due to other medical issues.

However I have been reading horror stories on the Internet about pain and long lasting issues. Loads of men saying don't do it.

Not had any side effects, and well worth not having to worry about producing any unwanted side effects :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ex was 'done' a few years ago, the worst bit for him was that they injected 6 times into his testicles to numb it! (a friends husband was given the numbing cream first tho so didnt feel the injections), it was all done in about 30mins and he was back at work the next day (although they do say wait for a few days - he was a workoholic).

He didnt take any pain killers after the first day and just felt a bit of a dull ache for a few days.

I'm now trying to persuede my new boyfriend to get 'done' as we dont want kids!! :)
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was considering this (I've recently had a second child as well) but have decided against it for now, as we're not totally certain that we'll stop at two!

I've asked a few guys about it who have had it done. All report that it was minimally painful and recovery was quick and uneventful.

The most amusing thing I discovered from a guy I know, is that the clinic he went to to have it done was, ironically, located on Balls Road! :D
  • MillysMommaMillysMomma Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember my dad having one years ago and he was back at work the same afternoon, its a lot easier than the the female having a sterilisation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend had it done ten years ago and is still under the dr. I dont like to ask too much, but i know he has swelling and pain and had to change jobs as his old job was quite physical.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    I had it done, it isnt that bad....Infact good excuse to spend the weekend lying on the sofa watching sports/films while be waiting on by the wife...

I was done on a friday afternoon, sent home straight after with two little sample jars for future use and advise to take paracetamol etc as and when needed..

When the injections wore off just dull pain and a lot of swelling...would advise getting some tight pants. I was back at work on the Monday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    I had it done in 2011 and it was very straight forward. It's uncomfortable having it done and sore for a few days afterwards, but I've had no after effects and everything is working, if you know what I mean! ;) Don't listen to the horror stories, it's very rare that anyone has issues following what has become a routine procedure.
  • Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A guy I used to work with decided to have a vasectomy because he had completed his family. He told us he would only be having a day off because it was a walk in clinic. Anyway the next day he came in limping so I asked him if he was ok to be at work. He laughed and said its not the vasectomy thats causing this its the stitches I had to have put in my leg. I asked what had he done to his leg and he replied he was so scared that when he saw the doctor approaching with the scalpel he lifted his leg up which made the doctor slice into his leg and he ended up having stitches. He said his leg hurt more than the actual vasectomy incision.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys. Think ill nip to the doctors on Wednesday and have a chat. Your comments have made me feel much more confident.

Plus it's a money saver! No more buying condoms haha
  • PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    Had mine done 10years ago after 4 lovely kids, best thing I ever did, although I had to visit the Doctor with my wife for her to give permisson to have it done which wasa bit strange.

I have a friend who had it done and him and his wife spilt shortly after which was a pity. He had a new GF which he hadnt told for fear of loosing her ,if she wanted kids . One day she announced she was preganant and that was the end of that relationship as she had cheated on him and trying to palm the new kid as his.

I had it done and no regrets , whereas my mate does regret it.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll need to speak to your doctor, they may question it if you are both young (like in your 20's).

Aside from that, yes its sore for a few days, they advise you take it easy. Don't forget that its not instant and will take a few weeks before you are safe to have unprotected sex. Can't remember if you can / want to go back for a check to see if the procedure has worked.

In theory they are reversible but don't count on it and the longer you leave it the less chance of it working.
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, if they give you the option of general or local anaesthetic go for the general.
    General means no needle in the gonads. ;)
  • MubMub Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    I had mine done about five years ago. As a previous poster says it feels a bit uncomfortable when they are doing it but nothing more. I lazed around for a couple of days, which I needed but after that was back to work.

Very few men have any serious issues arising (ha!) from it and, as long as you're sure you've finished your family, then I couldn't recommend it more highly.
  • BlizzardUKBlizzardUK Posts: 4,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is probably a stupid question, but I always wondered, when you have the chop, do you still ejaculate anything ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, if they give you the option of general or local anaesthetic go for the general.
    General means no needle in the gonads. ;)

There are MUCH higher risks involved with general rather then local.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BlizzardUK wrote: »
    This is probably a stupid question, but I always wondered, when you have the chop, do you still ejaculate anything ?

Yes, you still ejaculate, just no sperm in there
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BlizzardUK wrote: »
    Yes you do, but as your age increases It begins to look a bit like boiled potato water. :D
  • Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to add that I'm a member of the V club - had it done 16 years ago now. Good decision, no problems whatsoever.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    Hubby had it done in 95 after our second child. Went to a surgery in a town down the road and was out in under 30 minutes. Just a dull ache once the anaesthetic wore off. The itching from the hair growing back was more of an issue ;)
    The snip is far less likely to fail than the female sterilisation apparently. In fact the odds we were given of it failing we would more likely win the jackpot on the lottery! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    My husband had it done 10 years ago, he was in and out of the clinic in under an hour, he felt nothing and had minimal discomfort afterwards. He even came home on the Tube and was back at work the next day. No problems afterwards either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anubis wrote: »

Don't do it!

Do you know how many stories there have been of men who have undergone the vasectomy, at the insistence of their wives, only for their wives to end up divorcing them. The wives then go on to marry and have more kids with another man, while the man is left infertile.

The vasectomy is an anti-male tool used to oppress men and weaken them of their masculinity. How old are you, by the way? If you are under 40, take my advice even more strongly.

If your wife doesn't want to have any more kids, why doesn't she have the female equivalent of the procedure?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freeman000 wrote: »
    Don't do it!

Do you know how many stories there have been of men who have undergone the vasectomy, at the insistence of their wives, only for their wives to end up divorcing them. The wives then go on to marry and have more kids with another man, while the man is left infertile.

The vasectomy is an anti-male tool used to oppress men and weaken them of their masculinity. How old are you, by the way? If you are under 40, take my advice even more strongly.

If your wife doesn't want to have any more kids, why doesn't she have the female equivalent of the procedure?

What a load of rubbish.

The female equivalent is much more invasive, greater risks attached and a higher failure rate.

If a couple is done having babies then it's a no brainer for the man to have it rather than the woman.
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had it done a few years ago.

Friday evening op about 20 minutes could have done with a little more anaesthetic on one side, felt it a bit when they burnt the end of one of the tubes before tieing it off. Went back to work the following Tuesday which coincided with the prescription painkillers and anti inflammatorys ending. They swelled up to the size of tennis balls Saw my GP more prescription anti inflammatorys signed on the sick for the rest of the week with instructions to literally lie on the sofa with my feet up.

42" TV, Sky and being waited on for days, best sick leave ever!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a load of rubbish.

The female equivalent is much more invasive, greater risks attached and a higher failure rate.

If a couple is done having babies then it's a no brainer for the man to have it rather than the woman.

The idea of a man having his genitals surgically altered so that they don't function as nature intended them to is the ultimate insult to man. It puts the man in an automatic disadvantage in a relationship, especially if he and his wife are young. It means that his wife is able to leave him at any point, and be able to go on to have another family with some other man. But he will not have the same option.

There have even been cases of women deliberately pressuring their husbands to have the procedure, while at the same time planning to leave them, all because they don't like the idea of their husbands setting up home with another woman and starting another family after a divorce.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll never let anyone take a blade to my genitals. I will not be emasculated.